New York City Mosque

Again, I know Muslims and respect them, and have taken classes on Islam, but I just think this is wrong.

And, if you don't think the the Qu'ran or the actual religion of Islam bears any fault, you are just naive.

May I refer you to: Quaran 9:29

You can say that verse is misunderstood, but it's pretty clear what the message is.

Also, I am afraid that Muslim people that attend the Mosque/community center will be at the center of attacks. Their lives are going to be in danger, and if you don't think so, let's take a look at this:

Here were some reactions by citizens after the 9-11 attacks:

On the afternoon of Saturday, 2001-SEP-15, a gunman killed the 49 year old owner of a gas station in Mesa, AZ. He was a Sikh. His family believes that he was killed because he "looked Middle Eastern." Additional shots were fired at a Lebanese clerk and at the home of an Afghan family.

On the evening of Saturday, 2001-SEP-15, a gunman killed a Pakistani Muslim store owner in Dallas, TX.

Adel Karas, 48, an Egyptian-American grocer was shot and killed near his International Market store in San Gabriel, CA. He was a Copt -- neither Muslim nor Arab. No money was taken. Police are investigating the murder as a possible hate crime.

A man drove his car through the front entrance of Parma Mosque in Cleveland OH.

Also on Saturday, a Christian of Egyptian origin was shot dead in California.

bullet Near Chicago, IL, there was a march in which about 300 anti-Arab youths waved flags, shouted "USA, USA," and attempted to march on a mosque in Bridgeview, IL -- a suburb southwest of Chicago. Colin Zaremba, 19, said: "I'm proud to be American and I hate Arabs and I always have." Three demonstrators were arrested.

In Chicago, a Molotov cocktail was thrown t an Arab-American community center. There were no injuries and little damage.

In Huntington, NY, Adam Lang, reportedly a drunken driver, 75, allegedly tried to kill a Pakistani woman with his car. He later followed the woman into a store and threatened to kill her for "destroying my country."

In Gary, IN, a man wearing a mask pumped over 20 bullets from a high-powered assault rifle at a Muslim, Hassan Awdah. He survived. Hassan is a U.S. citizen, born in Yemen.

In Lynnwood, WA, a mosque was vandalized.

In Suffolk County, NY, a man allegedly made anti-Arab threats and pointed a handgun at the employee of a gas station. He was arrested.

In a prison in Washington state, two inmates fought over an anti-Muslim slur.

A gasoline bomb was thrown into the home of a Sikh family in California.

bullet Two mosques were firebombed with Molotov cocktails during the weekend of OCT-20-21. They are located in Burlington and Mississauga, near Toronto ON Canada. Kendrich House, 35, from Oakville ON has allegedly been charged.

Go ahead and put a mosque there and see what happens............ I hope nothing happens to anybody if the Mosque/community center is built, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

• Owner
No, white Americans shouldn't be viewed as serial killers. There are many black, Hispanic, and Asian serial killers as well.

Fine, I'll re-state it: are all Americans serial killers?

However, only people that associated themselves with Islam attacked us on 9/11.

One incident, of course. When Timothy McVeigh (an American) proved he was a terrorist because of what he did in Oklahoma City, does that make Americans terrorists as well?

• Owner

By the way, it's not a mosque. I think the definition of the word proves that it isn't because it contradicts what it will contain.

If we had no idea who was building it, nobody would even know what the building is. Since we found out it was a Muslim, NOW it's a mosque, for some reason.

I gotta side with Lupe Fiasco. Terrific stance on this.

"I'm taking President Obama's stance," Lupe began. "I'm Muslim, so I understand the importance of practicing the faith. But that is something that is sensitive to Americans. I don't trust polls, but there was such an overwhelming sentiment that maybe it's not the best of idea [sic]. I think the people who are building it should take that under consideration. Would they be setting themselves up for vandals? Because now it's become a target."

"On the other side, I think it's a great opportunity because Islam is in the forefront," said Lupe. "People can give commentary on how much of a peaceful religion it is. I look at the situation as a win-win. Just by you talking to me about the controversy, I get to spread the fact that Islam is a wonderful religion. The majority of Muslims are not even in the Middle East. The majority of Muslims are in South East Asia. The point of Islam is to promote peace. But there are a lot of emotions in New York. I've visited Ground Zero so I understand that it's a sensitive subject."

By the way, it's not a mosque. I think the definition of the word proves that it isn't because it contradicts what it will contain.

If we had no idea who was building it, nobody would even know what the building is. Since we found out it was a Muslim, NOW it's a mosque, for some reason.

That's one guy. The list goes on and on with the "muslim" terrorists.

It's a mosque and a community center.

The difference between Timothy Mcvay and the Islam extremists, is that their views derived.....wait for.........from their holy book......the Qu'ran.

Yes, they don't represent an entire religion, but people associate Islam with terror, and that's just REALITY!

• Owner

That's one guy. The list goes on and on with the "muslim" terrorists.

Really? There are more people. A guy flew his personal plane into a building not too long ago because he was mad at the government. People shoot up schools. There are plenty of incidents I could find if this were actually important.

I'm not for opening it up on 9/11. I'm for putting the building up, though, because our country allows it. People will cause trouble? That's life, and it's sad. I'm sure some of you would actually like that, though.

We have something against Muslims, fine...so that means we should've never been in Iraq in the first place, because just what group of people are we protecting and spending trillions of dollars for?

1. I said that a very minuscule number of Muslims support the terror attacks and were responsible to the attacks on our country, so, I am not saying every Muslim is bad, or even a lot of Muslims are terrorists.

Yet you compared them to Adolf Hitler a few posts earlier. Awesome job!

• Owner

It's a mosque and a community center.

Then you need to read the definition of a mosque. It's a house of prayer, and strictly that. Nothing more. The community center has two floors (of the 13 or so) available for prayer. The rest are going to be used for many activities available to the public (which means, everyone).

The difference between Timothy Mcvay and the Islam extremists, is that their views derived.....wait for.........from their holy book......the Qu'ran.

Ever heard of Charles Manson and his beliefs? Hear about a place in Texas called Waco? I can provide a lot of "religious" incidents in the states that would fit the bill quite nicely.

Yes, they don't represent an entire religion, but people associate Islam with terror, and that's just REALITY!

Ignorant people associate Islam with terror, and the reality is that we have ignorant people everywhere. My neighbor is a racist, and he associates robbery with blacks because we've actually had a few blacks rob neighbors down the street. Doesn't mean much, but hey, we have incidents!

One attack that happened in 2001 shouldn't mean we disrespect and spit on Muslims. There are plenty of them living here, just like you and me. Have you ever heard of a YMCA? There's a place for prayer in those. Ever heard of a JCC? There are 350+ JCC's in the states and in Canada...Jewish community centers that include a place for worship, NOT strictly a place of worship. Two different things.

The Muslim Jihad was never our concern. Jihad has both violent and non-violent meanings, and the warfare has been traced back to Muhammad and the Qu’ran, way before any of our time. Even in the 1700-1800's, it was never our concern...the West Africa incidents, Sudan, and early stages of the Ottoman Empire. We didn't send troops over to stabilize the countries in need, and spend billions of dollars for no reason.

If you don't care about them building one, why are you so adamant about this not going up? I doubt you could care less about the well-being of Muslims. That's DEFINITELY not the reason you started this topic.

• Like 2

Then you need to read the definition of a mosque. It's a house of prayer, and strictly that. Nothing more. The community center has two floors (of the 13 or so) available for prayer. The rest are going to be used for many activities available to the public (which means, everyone).

Ever heard of Charles Manson and his beliefs? Hear about a place in Texas called Waco? I can provide a lot of "religious" incidents in the states that would fit the bill quite nicely.

Ignorant people associate Islam with terror, and the reality is that we have ignorant people everywhere. My neighbor is a racist, and he associates robbery with blacks because we've actually had a few blacks rob neighbors down the street. Doesn't mean much, but hey, we have incidents!

One attack that happened in 2001 shouldn't mean we disrespect and spit on Muslims. There are plenty of them living here, just like you and me. Have you ever heard of a YMCA? There's a place for prayer in those. Ever heard of a JCC? There are 350+ JCC's in the states and in Canada...Jewish community centers that include a place for worship, NOT strictly a place of worship. Two different things.

The Muslim Jihad was never our concern. Jihad has both violent and non-violent meanings, and the warfare has been traced back to Muhammad and the Qu’ran, way before any of our time. Even in the 1700-1800's, it was never our concern...the West Africa incidents, Sudan, and early stages of the Ottoman Empire. We didn't send troops over to stabilize the countries in need, and spend billions of dollars for no reason.

If you don't care about them building one, why are you so adamant about this not going up? I doubt you could care less about the well-being of Muslims. That's DEFINITELY not the reason you started this topic.

1. I never said a Mosque was anything but prayer, unless you are referring to where I said that certain people that worked in the Mosque's around NYC were found funding terrorists shortly after 9/11 happened.

2. You're Timothy Mcvay and Charles Manson references don't make too much sense in this situation. Was religion involved in those cases? Yes, it was. Did it represent an entire religion? Of course not, just like a few terrorists don't represent the same views of the entire Islamic community. HOWEVER, once you kill 3,000 U.S. citizens in the name of Islam(even though that's not really the Islamic view), we're looking at a totally different situation. It's not just one incident either. Thousands of brave men and women have been killed by many people just want to kill Americans in the name of Islam(even though their beliefs are different than the majority). I'm not getting into whether we should be over there or not, but to compare the deaths of a few incidents of people already living in this country that just want to kill any type of person is not fair when compared to many more people (still a small number) that have the sole mission of killing innocent Americans.

3. That's where you just need to face reality. Once that attack happened, people viewed Muslims very differently, and it's understandable why. Now, I don't know if you lost anyone in 9/11, so I won't assume anything, but if you haven't, why don't you go ask the families that lost loved ones how they feel about Muslims, and if they don't like them, why don't you tell them they are ignorant? It's all psychological, and it's understandable why the feel the way they do. Do I hate Muslims? No, or I never would have studies Islam or gone to a Mosque. However, I understand why people view Muslims(as a whole) the way they do because of the terror attacks and what's happening in Iraq. For you to say that the people that lost loved ones are ignorant because they don't like Muslims is pretty bad. I know you didn't refer to them specifically, but you said ignorant people associate Islam with terror, and that includes the people who lost loved ones on 9/11 and during the war.

4. I'm not saying Mosque's shouldn't be built. :lol: . However, there shouldn't be one two blocks away from ground zero. The difference between a Mosque, Church, Synagogue being build is that Christians and Jews haven't committed terror attacks to the degree that a small number of Muslims did, or been a part of wars with Islamic followers that just hate Americans.

5. Actually, if you watch the news, you'd know this is a hot topic. Also, it was a major topic on another site that I visit, so I thought I'd ask the question, and I'm actually somewhat surprised there are as many supporters as there are.

• Owner
I never said a Mosque was anything but prayer

No, I'm saying a mosque is a prayer center, and that's not what is being built. Again, if nobody knew who was building it, nobody would care and nobody would be calling it a mosque even after it was built.

Once they found out it was a Muslim, now it's a mosque? There is nothing anyone can say that proves it's not a community center.

If this is a mosque, the YMCA is a church.

As for the rest of your post, I've already stated everything I needed to. Yes, people are ignorant if they associate Muslims with terrorists...I don't care who they lost.

No, I'm saying a mosque is a prayer center, and that's not what is being built. Again, if nobody knew who was building it, nobody would care and nobody would be calling it a mosque even after it was built.

Once they found out it was a Muslim, now it's a mosque? There is nothing anyone can say that proves it's not a community center.

If this is a mosque, the YMCA is a church.

As for the rest of your post, I've already stated everything I needed to. Yes, people are ignorant if they associate Muslims with terrorists...I don't care who they lost.

There is going to be a mosque there, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Also, I understand you think those people may be ignorant, but if you lost loved ones in a terrorist attack(don't know if you have), there's a good chance you may have psychological issues with Muslims or not want to associate with them. There's just no need for it to be that close to ground zero. They have the legal right to, but that doesn't mean they should build it there, and there's obviously a message behind it if they want to open it on September 11, 2011, so that pretty much tells you everything.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

There is going to be a mosque there, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Also, I understand you think those people may be ignorant, but if you lost loved ones in a terrorist attack(don't know if you have), there's a good chance you may have psychological issues with Muslims or not want to associate with them. There's just no need for it to be that close to ground zero. They have the legal right to, but that doesn't mean they should build it there, and there's obviously a message behind it if they want to open it on September 11, 2001, so that pretty much tells you everything.

They are gonna go back in time?

http://www.thenorthwindonline.com/?p=3857469&cpage=1

In recent months, it’s been difficult to turn on a television or read the newspaper without hearing from different interest groups weighing in on the controversy surrounding the Cordoba House, a Muslim community center being built near Ground Zero in New York City. Misinformation has run amok, from rumors that the community center is being built on Ground Zero (it isn’t) to news reports stating it will open on the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks (it won’t).

The Cordoba House is scheduled to be built a full two blocks away from Ground Zero; it won’t even be within sight of where the World Trade Center once stood. Yet many Americans, Republican and Democrat, are furious.

The mass opposition to the Cordoba House brings to light a growing anti-Muslim sentiment that has spread in America since 9/11. Many Americans still feel that the entire Muslim religion is to blame. People need to recognize the attack on the World Trade Center was the work of Muslim extremists, and in no way represents the feelings and beliefs of the majority of those who follow Islam.

Ironically, the entire point of the Cordoba House is to increase American understanding of the Muslim faith, and to promote general religious acceptance between different faiths. Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the leader of the proposed community center, has said that the Cordoba House will help show the world that Muslim extremists represent a minority of Muslims. Rauf heads an organization called the Cordoba Initiative, the goal of which is to improve relations between the Muslim Community and the West. According to Rauf, most Muslims are moderate practitioners of the faith and condemn the terrorist actions of Islam’s few extremist followers.

I never said it was on ground zero, and that article is just a lot of opinions.

I'll give you a history lesson later on places that Muslims have built mosques after being "victorious" after they have conquered a group of people.

You guys can't really believe that it's just coincidental that they are building it two blocks from ground zero and opening it on the tenth anniversary of September 11.......

I never said it was on ground zero, and that article is just a lot of opinions.

I'll give you a history lesson later on places that Muslims have built mosques after being "victorious" after they have conquered a group of people.

You guys can't really believe that it's just coincidental that they are building it two blocks from ground zero and opening it on the tenth anniversary of September 11.......

They arent opening it up on the 10th anniversary of September 11th.

My cell phone billing cycle ends on September 11. How disrespectful to bill me on 9/11. I guess you can also associate Sprint with terrorists.

Yes, because Sprint is thought to be have responsible to terrorist attack. Just stop. You're comparisons make no sense at all. :lol: .

Muslims were responsible for the attacks, even though it was a small amount of them.

Sprint doesn't calculate to bill you on a certain date. It goes by when you subscribed, paid, ect.

They have a choice when to open the building.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Yes, because Sprint is thought to be have responsible to terrorist attack. Just stop. You're comparisons make no sense at all. :lol: .

Muslims were responsible for the attacks, even though it was a small amount of them.

I guess we're even then, because your comparisons don't make any sense either

• Owner

A mosque, and a floor for prayer in a community center, are two different things. A mosque would not be open to the public, to go in and play basketball, to swim, or whatever.

Otherwise, like I said, a YMCA must be a church.

And there was never any plans to open it on 9/11. Ever. When it was proposed and the plans were laid out, there was no way they would've been able to build the 13-14 story building and open it up that quickly. They even stated this.from the very beginning.

But I'm assuming you heard about this on Fox News, because that's actually where I heard about it opening up on 9/11...and I laughed, because they said just ONE week ago that it was going to open on 9/11. Absolutely amazing to build it that quick, lol.

A mosque, and a floor for prayer in a community center, are two different things. A mosque would not be open to the public, to go in and play basketball, to swim, or whatever.

Otherwise, like I said, a YMCA must be a church.

And there was never any plans to open it on 9/11. Ever. When it was proposed and the plans were laid out, there was no way they would've been able to build the 13-14 story building and open it up that quickly. They even stated this.from the very beginning.

But I'm assuming you heard about this on Fox News, because that's actually where I heard about it opening up on 9/11...and I laughed, because they said just ONE week ago that it was going to open on 9/11. Absolutely amazing to build it that quick, lol.

I don't watch Fox News.

I watch CNN, and read articles and stories online.