NBA Trade Pitch: Carmelo Anthony to Houston for Kevin Martin

The Regime

Since I’m guessing the Denver Nuggets won’t take my advice and keep Carmelo Anthony this season, and the list of rumored destinations for ‘Melo grows by the week, it’s time to explore what the Nuggets can do trade-wise to get something close to equal value in return for the man who’s been their franchise centerpiece for the last seven years.

Although I still believe ‘Melo ultimately ends up in New York, recent rumors have gained momentum that he has the Houston Rockets at or near the top of his wish list of teams with which he’d sign a long-term extension following a trade. How exactly would ‘Melo end up in Houston, though? I tinkered around with some possible trades, and this one works out best for both sides on the court and with the salary cap:

Houston gets: Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith

Denver gets: Kevin Martin, Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries

Actually, a ‘Melo-for-Martin and Battier deal would have worked, but if I’m the Nuggets and I know teams want ‘Melo, I’m making them take the problematic J.R. Smith back in the deal.

Denver now rolls out a lineup of Chauncey Billups, Kevin Martin, Battier, Kenyon Martin and Nene, with Arron Afflalo, Birdman and Ty Lawson off the bench. That’s a playoff team. K-Mart2 replaces all but a couple of buckets of Carmelo’s scoring, Battier makes the team stronger defensively, and the two of them make Denver a smarter team automatically. Billups and Battier’s mature leadership would even out the hotheads like K-Mart1 and Birdman. For at least one season, before Battier, K-Mart1 and Afflalo become free agents in 2011, the Nuggets are a strong team in the West.

As for the Rockets, they become a legit championship contender if Yao Ming can stay healthy (of course). If you take the best offensive center in the game, who also gets you 9-10 rebounds a night and blocks a couple of shots, and surround him with ‘Melo (arguably the best scorer in the League), Aaron Brooks at point guard, Courtney Lee and J.R. splitting time at the two, and Luis Scola at power forward, that’s a team with elite talent.

Could that version of the Rockets knock off the two-time defending champion Lakers?

http://dimemag.com/2010/08/nba-trade-pitch-carmelo-anthony-to-houston-for-kevin-martin/#more-53739

I would love this trade if it were to happen, however I don't think the deal will go down that way. The Nuggets have already said their looking for young players and picks. The Rockets still can get Melo being that they have the Knicks picks and young talented players like Budinger, Hill, Patterson, Lowry, and Taylor, a vet in Kevin Martin and expiring contracts in Shane Battier and Jared Jeffries. But I think asking for Melo and Smith for just Martin, Battier, and Jeffreis would be a little too much, unless the Nuggets are looking at the expiring contracts. And the Rockets will definitley have too throw in those picks and maybe a player like a Budinger or Hill. If we are to get both Melo and Smith I defintley think we can give the Lakers problems maybe in the long run even beat them.

• Owner

Do you know who Daryl Morey is? He is God himself in a person.

PG-Brooks

SG-Courtney Lee

SF-Melo

PF-Scola

C-Yao

Do it Morey!

Nasty roster. They take LA to seven. Can't say they'd come out on top, though, but they would be in the Finals once Bryant starts truly declining.

Well Courtney Lee had basically zero success guarding Kobe in the finals a couple years back, that's why losing Shane Battier will hurt them. If he remains on their roster atleast he and Lee could split the duties, but I'm guessing there is no other way the trade would go down without Battier. But the main thing is getting Melo, pair him with a healthy Yao and that's one dangerous team.

Well Courtney Lee had basically zero success guarding Kobe in the finals a couple years back, that's why losing Shane Battier will hurt them. If he remains on their roster atleast he and Lee could split the duties, but I'm guessing there is no other way the trade would go down without Battier. But the main thing is getting Melo, pair him with a healthy Yao and that's one dangerous team.

Zero success? He actually did a pretty good job on Kobe IIRC. And plus who cares? Its Kobe. That is just one player.

Kevin Martin for Melo? NO FILLERS!?!?!? what the hell? I agree with you Real Deal, TOTALLY overrating Kevin Martin.

Dude what are you talking?

That is the possible trade right now.

Get it done Morey!

Dude what are you talking?

That is the possible trade right now.

Get it done Morey!

I do think Rockets should add 1 more filler because Melo is a top 5 player in the league. Denver will still be a good team in my opinion with Martin, Shane and Jeffries but not as better as they are right now with Melo.

I do think Rockets should add 1 more filler because Melo is a top 5 player in the league. Denver will still be a good team in my opinion with Martin, Shane and Jeffries but not as better as they are right now with Melo.

They are not looking to be a better team right now, they are looking to rebuild around the right pieces the only reason that Battier anf Jefferies are involved in this is because the are huge expirings.

Terrible deal.

If I'm Denver and I'm trading a marquee name, I want one of two things, a star in return or at least an above average star with a few other young pieces. Kevin Martin hasn't even been an all-star yet. Another option is getting pieces to rebuild, be it young players with potential, picks, or cap relief.

If this deal would be made, Battier and Jeffries would be gone by the end of next year probably, and those two aren't exactly what you want for a guy like Melo.

They need much more.

If Melo keeps being a baby and gets his way and is traded, the Nuggets should trade Chauncey to a team like Atlanta who would do anything for him, and then trade JR, Kenyon, and Nene. Nene said he'll retire in like three years? So why keep him there if he won't be there when you plan on being good again.

Build on a backcourt of Lawson and Afflalo, and start Birdman at Center. Use what you get for the other guys to fill in and get a top pick. Trade Harrington and Birdman during the deadline.

Odd how the Cavs, Nuggets, and Pistons could get the first three picks 7 years later.

Edited by The New Beginning