White Sox acquire Manny

Lkr

Can someone explain to me what happened with Manny and the Dodgers? I thought the fans in LA loved him and he sold tickets. I know he was injured and was sort of disappointing, but he's still batting .311 which is pretty decent.

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//BDD_MR_wigsla_8.18.08_dspho.jpg

Edited by The Artesticle

They are basically out of contention (even though they have been playing a little bit better in the last week or so, they have been doing it without him in the lineup), so they figured they'd unload him while they could and get some return for him. In this case, that return will most likely just be some financial relief, which is a pretty big deal to the Dodgers considering the situation with the McCourts. Manny is nowhere close to the hitter he used to be, but he can still be an asset to a team like the White Sox. Obviously we don't know for sure what the Dodgers will be getting back, but just based on what we do know it sounds like a solid deal for both sides.

Edited by Phightins

They are basically out of contention (even though they have been playing a little bit better in the last week or so, they have been doing it without him in the lineup), so they figured they'd unload him while they could and get some return for him. In this case, that return will most likely just be some financial relief, which is a pretty big deal to the Dodgers considering the situation with the McCourts. Manny is nowhere close to the hitter he used to be, but he can still be an asset to a team like the White Sox. Obviously we don't know for sure what the Dodgers will be getting back, but just based on what we do know it sounds like a solid deal for both sides.

I see... Sucks for Dodger fans. I remember LA loved him so much when he first came here.

Dodgers lose out on the compensation pick as well, should have held on to him, players > finance

Well, it's easy to say that as a fan of a big market east coast team. They are broke and out of contention, so to them the money is absolutely more valuable than the compensation pick. Plus, I am sure that there are many people in that organization who will be thrilled when the Manny circus leaves town.

Konerko won't be in talks for MVP, but the homer was nice. I was watching on MLB Network :)

Maybe, maybe not. But it's something to think about, check the numbers: http://www.csnchicago.com/09/01/10/Sox-Drawer-What-rhymes-with-MVP-Paulie/landing_soxdrawer_v3.html?blockID=302420&feedID=661

12 of his 33 homeruns have tied or took the lead for us.