Players to watch for this year? One's you think should do well that aren't mentioned often

Warren2ThaG

Uh....what? :blink:

Watch for Greg Oden. He's going to have a great year.

my bad lmao, i just came back from river jumping and i couldn't really feel my hands :lol:

translation:

i agree, i'm a big fan of Greene and i think the kid has tremendous potential. he could really have a breakout year

EDIT: and i definately agree on Oden aswell. if this guy can stay healthy he's an elite defensive player

Edited by Lil' Penny

Call me a homer, but if Amir Johnson is able to stay out of foul trouble (by far the biggest knock on him) and duplicate the production that he had as a starter filling for for Bosh at the end of the season last year, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people next year, especially considering the starting power forward spot is basically his to lose.

Not many people realize this, but Amir Johnson was actually a pretty damn good player for the Raptors last year. When Bosh went down with his broken face and he was inserted into the starting lineup, he averaged 18 ppg on something like 70% shooting (69.something). He had an 18/13 game against Atlanta, a 26 point game against the Pistons and a 21 point game against the Knicks in 3 of his 5 starts. The guy was very effective last season, but the problem was that he played behind Chris Bosh and he is very foul prone.

People hated on the contract given to him, and I'm not a huge fan of it myself either, but if he is able to do what he did last season and learn how to stay on the floor, he is going to be a pretty solid player for Toronto.

Then again, I can just as easily see him fading away into obscurity and going back to his end of the bench Detroit days as well. In fact, that is probably more of a realistic possibility than him breaking out, but he definitely has the potential to be a very good player for the Raptors next year.

Other names have already been mentioned in this thread like Oden and Greene. Another player I'll throw out there is Nicolas Batum. I think he could be a damn good small forward for the Blazers this year. I really like his game,

For the T-Wolves, Michael Beasley and Darko Milicic. Darko has been a flat-out bust up to this point, and Beasley has gotten off to a rocky start early in his career. Both now will be given the opportunity to produce on a young team in big roles, and if they bomb it in Minnesota then their careers are going to take A LOT to resurrect. Darko won't have to be a star this year; just be a solid defensive presence, rebounder, and score around 10-15 PPG in the post. Beasley's role looks to be bigger, as he's probably the best scorer on the roster, and he'll get a chance to be a go-to guy in Minny. If he gets his career on track and starts looking like the great scorer everyone predicted him to be coming out of college, the T-Wolves will have gotten a big steal this offseason.

Does Splitter expect to play for San Antonio this year? If so, he could be an interesting player to watch, he played very well against the US and kind of fits the Spurs gameplan.

From what I gather, the plan is for him to start alongside Duncan right off the bat, which is the right move. The Spurs don't have any big man, aside from Duncan, nearly as talented as Splitter.

I completely forgot about him though, which is a shame because his NBA debut is one of the things that I am looking forward to the most this upcoming season. I've wanted to see him in the league ever since he was projected as a top 5 pick (and fell because of concerns about how soon he would come over) and was very excited to see him and the Spurs finally come to terms on a buyout to bring him to the NBA. I think he could be a very solid rookie next year and could develop into a very nice player with somebody like Duncan as a mentor.

I'm going with Splitter as well. He impressed me against the USA in yesterday's matchup with his polished skill around the basket and athleticism. Definitely will be a great fit on the Spurs alongside Duncan and should really make the Spurs a pretty dangerous team if everyone is healthy.

Call me a homer, but if Amir Johnson is able to stay out of foul trouble (by far the biggest knock on him) and duplicate the production that he had as a starter filling for for Bosh at the end of the season last year, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people next year, especially considering the starting power forward spot is basically his to lose.

Not many people realize this, but Amir Johnson was actually a pretty damn good player for the Raptors last year. When Bosh went down with his broken face and he was inserted into the starting lineup, he averaged 18 ppg on something like 70% shooting (69.something). He had an 18/13 game against Atlanta, a 26 point game against the Pistons and a 21 point game against the Knicks in 3 of his 5 starts. The guy was very effective last season, but the problem was that he played behind Chris Bosh and he is very foul prone.

People hated on the contract given to him, and I'm not a huge fan of it myself either, but if he is able to do what he did last season and learn how to stay on the floor, he is going to be a pretty solid player for Toronto.

Then again, I can just as easily see him fading away into obscurity and going back to his end of the bench Detroit days as well. In fact, that is probably more of a realistic possibility than him breaking out, but he definitely has the potential to be a very good player for the Raptors next year.

Other names have already been mentioned in this thread like Oden and Greene. Another player I'll throw out there is Nicolas Batum. I think he could be a damn good small forward for the Blazers this year. I really like his game,

My biggest concern this year for Amir is that he is going to try and do too much, especially early in the year, to try and prove himself. I love him for what he is but I just hope he doesn't try and create for himself more than rarely. I love the hustle game he provides I just hope he doesn't try and be something he isn't, which is an isolation scorer. I would hate to see him develop a Kris Humphries sort of attitude offensively.