Atlanta at Toronto

Real Deal

• 2 months later...

I never thought I would enjoy these early Sunday morning games, but this is two in a row that I am happy about as if they were any later I wouldn't be able to watch them.

Should be interesting to see how badly the Raptors get abused on the glass in this game without Evans. Johnson is a decent offensive rebounder due to how active he is at going after loose balls, but he is hardly anything special when it comes to grabbing defensive boards. Obviously Bargnani is a non factor on the glass as well, and if the Raptors are set on playing either Kleiza or Stojakovic at the 4 as well, which sounds like it may be the plan, well, that doesn't bode well for them either.

Rebounding has surprisingly been one of the strong points of the Raptors this year as they rank 5th in the NBA in rebounding differential (+2.7), but you have to think that is going to take a serious hit without Evans.

I understand the thought process behind starting Dorsey, and he certainly has given them some very good things to start the game, but I would've prefered to see Johnson start. Sure, there is a chance that he may pick up some early fouls, but how is he ever going to sort out his fouling issues if he is coddled and never given the minutes that he should?

I hope that Johnson gets at least around 30 minutes a night off of the bench at least.

I love how Rautins continues to say that Bargnani doesn't get the ball enough and needs more touches when he has a USG% of nearly 28% (27.7 to be exact). How many more touches should Bargnani be getting? Throughout his career in Toronto, Bosh only had a higher USG% than Bargnani has so far this season one time, which was last season (28.7%).

I agree that he has played well and should be fed the ball in the post when he has great position, but come on. The guy is clearly getting enough touches.

Even though the Raptors are getting dominated and are down by 18, it is so nice to finally have a point guard (combo guard would be the proper term, I guess) that can get into the paint and to the line. The Raptors haven't had a guy who can get into the paint like Bayless since Ford was with the team. He has a long, long way to go before he can be relied on to run an offense, but I like the aggresssiveness that he plays with. It is a nice contrast to the caution filled game that Calderon plays.

This quarter has been absolutely ugly for Toronto, though. Bricked jumper after bricked jumper with the occasional charge thrown in here and there. They've turned it over 6 times as well. Defensively, they are getting absolutely picked apart as well. It is pretty sad when Josh Smith is dropping 7 dimes on you.

Solid quarter for the tank, though. 3/17, 6 turnovers and the halftime lead grew from around 6 points to 20. I like it. :lol:

Even though the Raptors are getting dominated and are down by 18, it is so nice to finally have a point guard (combo guard would be the proper term, I guess) that can get into the paint and to the line. The Raptors haven't had a guy who can get into the paint like Bayless since Ford was with the team. He has a long, long way to go before he can be relied on to run an offense, but I like the aggresssiveness that he plays with. It is a nice contrast to the caution filled game that Calderon plays.

This quarter has been absolutely ugly for Toronto, though. Bricked jumper after bricked jumper with the occasional charge thrown in here and there. They've turned it over 6 times as well. Defensively, they are getting absolutely picked apart as well. It is pretty sad when Josh Smith is dropping 7 dimes on you.

Solid quarter for the tank, though. 3/17, 6 turnovers and the halftime lead grew from around 6 points to 20. I like it. :lol:

How? the guy is a very talent playmaker for a forward. I would say he has the best court vision on our team when he wants to.

How? the guy is a very talent playmaker for a forward. I would say he has the best court vision on our team when he wants to.

This was his third career triple double. It's not like he is consistently putting up these kinds of numbers. He had 1 less assist in this game than he did in his previous 4 games. He has had double digits in assists 5 times in his career in his 7 seasons.

So, yeah, seeing him easily pick apart the Raptors defense with his passing and putting up just his 5th or 6th career double digit assist game like it was nothing is pretty sad.

Not taking anything away from him because he had a great game tonight, but this is hardly the norm for him. The Raptors defense was simply pathetic tonight.