Yankees' 10-Game Homestand

Well they kicked off the second half today with a 5-3 win, the eighth straight year they win the first game after the All-Star break. The record is nine straight years set by the Expos.

Two more games against Detroit, tomorrow at 1:05 and the Sunday at 2:05 because of Old Timers' Day. There's an exciting pitching matchup tomorrow: CC vs. Verlander.

Pitching was nothing less than great this series. A total of 5 runs allowed in three games. The bullpen has been on fire, and it's been great seeing Phil Hughes attack the strike zone. His six K's for six outs performance on Friday was impressive.

It was also nice to see A-Rod and Teixeira homer twice each in the series. A-Rod bounced back well after having a rough game Friday. Teixeira loves that second deck in right field.

We get our third straight 2-1 victory and our 9th walkoff win of the season, tying last season's total.

Our pitching has been brilliant all around. Both Joba and Pettitte bounced back after rough starts and their struggles at the stadium.

Those two plays to keep the game tied at 1 in the eighth inning were amazing. First, Teixeira's off balance throw to nail the runner trying to score on a ground ball. Then, the off balance throw by Molina on a potential wild pitch to nail Roberts.

4 out of the 5 hits that Hinske has as a Yankee are HR's, interesting.

I really wish the MLB could do something about the distinct advantage that they New York Yankees have with their new stadium.

I don't think it's really an advantage, though. If you look at Wang, Joba and Pettitte, they have experienced some great difficulties pitching in this stadium. I think 15 of the 18 HR's Pettitte has allowed have been in this park, and Joba didn't have a win here until yesterday. In the first series at the park, we lost a game 10-2 and 22-4. Other teams can hit homeruns just as easily as us.

I don't think it's really an advantage, though. If you look at Wang, Joba and Pettitte, they have experienced some great difficulties pitching in this stadium. I think 15 of the 18 HR's Pettitte has allowed have been in this park, and Joba didn't have a win here until yesterday. In the first series at the park, we lost a game 10-2 and 22-4. Other teams can hit homeruns just as easily as us.

That's not the problem at all.

The New York Yankees play half of their games at the new stadium, therefore giving them a distinct advantage over other teams, especially with the line-up they have.

Well, both teams have to play there. It may inflate the Yankees numbers over the course of a season but I wouldn't call it "unfair" since during any given game both teams bat with the same dimensions. Annoying, yes, since to me that is not real baseball, but it is not unfair.

Personally I like it because now everybody [expletive]es about Yankee Stadium and nobody talks about Citizens Bank Park being a bandbox anymore lol.

Edited by Phightins09

Well, both teams have to play there. It may inflate the Yankees numbers over the course of a season but I wouldn't call it "unfair" since during any given game both teams bat with the same dimensions. Annoying, yes, since to me that is not real baseball, but it is not unfair.

Personally I like it because now everybody [expletive]es about Yankee Stadium and nobody talks about Citizens Bank Park being a bandbox anymore lol.

It suits the New York Yankees perfectly though.

And, it's unfair because not ever team has a chance to play half of their games at a little league stadium.

The part that makes it worse is that the New York Yankees already have great hitters, and are definitely better than most teams that they will play there, so they definitely have an advantage.

That's all I'm going to say about that because this thread doesn't have anything to do with it.

It suits the New York Yankees perfectly though.

And, it's unfair because not ever team has a chance to play half of their games at a little league stadium.

The part that makes it worse is that the New York Yankees already have great hitters, and are definitely better than most teams that they will play there, so they definitely have an advantage.

That's all I'm going to say about that because this thread doesn't have anything to do with it.

Lol you brought it up.

If the MLB was to do something about the stadium they would have to set a standard length for all stadiums to be fair because someone will always be crying about having an "unfair advantage". That would be nice if they did imo but then every stadium would have to go under construction, so its not going to happen.

Anyways todays game was a great win for us. I was at this pizzeria when the Teixeira throw home and the wild pitch throw out happened. The place went crazy. Its great to see us win with decent pitching and amazing defense.

I do expect the Yankees to move the walls back, at least the RF wall. The Phillies had a similar problem the first year at CBP, and after that first year they moved back the left field wall a bit. The stadium is still undoubtedly a homerun-hitters park, but it is not as much of an issue as it once was, and it is not a complete hell for pitchers anymore.

His numbers today may not look so appealing, but I like Sergio Mitre's stuff. He has a lot of action on that sink fastball, and for someone who hasn't pitched in the big leagues in over a year, he wasn't so bad.

Great pitching by our bullpen once again, and our offense supported us enough for the W.

The back-to-back HR's in the ninth off Bruney gave a scare. Bruney's been struggling a lot since he came back from his second injury. Maybe it's also because we've been using Hughes, Coke, and Aceves for relief. Hopefully he can return to the pitcher he was before.

6-0 coming off the All-Star break.

Tomorrow, we play the makeup game for the rainout a couple months back.

Vin Mazzaro (2-6, 4.09) vs. CC Sabathia (9-6, 3.66)

Brett Anderson (5-7, 4.25) vs. Joba Chamberlain (5-2, 4.05)

Gio Gonzalez (1-2, 9.33) vs. Andy Pettite (8-5, 4.62)

Dallas Braden (7-8, 3.40) vs. Sergio Mitre (1-0, 4.76)

CC had a rocky beginning to his outing, which is expected after a 2.5 hour delay. He eventually took control and had a solid outing. 7 innings, 3 earned runs. Phil Hughes earned his 1st career save, and Girardi said Rivera was going to be given the night off.

Nice job by the offense coming back from a 3-0 lead to score 6 times. Things looked rough for the offense with five strikeouts in the first few frames. I liked Teixeira swinging on 3-0 to hit a 2-run HR.