Sacramento at Denver

Real Deal

• 4 months later...
  • Owner
DENVER -- Carmelo Anthony insists his legs were heavy, not so much his heart.

Anthony was rusty in his return to the Denver lineup after a two-week absence following the death of his sister, and his teammates picked up the slack in the Nuggets' 104-86 victory over the Sacramento Kings on Saturday night.

Anthony missed 15 of his first 18 shots and finished with 16 points and 10 rebounds.

"As far as what was going on in my head, I tried to clear it out tonight when I stepped on that court," Anthony said. "As far as thinking about anything, I was good. I just couldn't buy a shot tonight. I couldn't find a rhythm. My legs weren't there. But I'm glad I got this one out of my system."

Anthony hadn't played since Dec. 18, missing five games following the death of Michelle Anthony, a 38-year-old mother of four who died Dec. 21. The funeral was Monday in Baltimore.

The Nuggets went 2-3 in his absence.

Anthony said spending time with his family back home was good for his soul and that it's time for him to get back to work.

Chauncey Billups, who led Denver with 22 points, called Anthony's return cathartic for everyone.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20110101_SAC@DEN