JR Smith, the next Kobe Bryant?

fish7718

Why I love bleacher report

A week fresh off his 24 day jail sentence for a tragic car accident that claimed his best friends life, Jr Smith is starting over.

JR had one of his best years in the NBA last year coming off the bench for the Denver Nuggets while providing instant offense for the Nuggets if the starters were slow and provided an unstoppable three point threat from as far as 6 feet behind the line.

I guarantee in about two years JR Smith will be the next big name in basketball. Smith will be on ten minutes of ESPN every night with highlights of him dunking and swishing threes after scoring 28 points a night to go along with the better defense Smith is improving on every year.

Source

Aside of his brain and attitude, my biggest problem with him is he seems content with his game right now.

I've seen him post up and do a turnaround jumpshot, it was a beauty too and very fluid/ effective (seen it TWICE in his entire Nugget career and connected on both buckets). The problem is it's almost as rare as finding a blue lobster... dude just likes to face the rim all the time. He has some post game, but never uses it, he has pretty effective mid-range game but never uses it and develops it.

If I were his personal coach, I'd guarantee him of a jump of at least 5.0 points per game if he can do one thing: focus on developing his mid-range game, namely post game. The variety of moves Kobe has is what makes Kobe Kobe. J.R. could be so much better (I wouldn't say as good as Kobe) if he could only develop his mid-range game. He only has deep range and athleticism to finish strong at the rim... all he needs to develop is mid-range and gets better in going to the free throw line.

What I can't believe is none of the coaching staff seemed to have successfully told him this... it's common sense. Dude only likes to face the rim, hoists a 3 or attacks the rim. He's not interested in stopping his dribble about 15-20 feet to go for a pull up jumper. The only thing he lacks is mid-range, and the idiotic part is it's not like he doesn't have it, he just doesn't use it. Use it and his PPG jumps to 20 ppg... automatic.

• Owner

If he was coached by Phil? You do realize how many bad players Phil Jackson has coached over the years, right? Von Wafer was supposed to be the next Ray Allen, lol, and Sun Yue was the Chinese Magic.

Let's not do this...really.

If he was coached by Phil? You do realize how many bad players Phil Jackson has coached over the years, right? Von Wafer was supposed to be the next Ray Allen, lol, and Sun Yue was the Chinese Magic.

Those guys weren't really talented though. J.R Smith have the physical attributes and skill set to be a top-tier player, he just need to have the right mindset and the right coach.

You just compared JR Smith to Von Wafer and Sun Yue? lol

My last post says I wouldn't say he'd be as good as Kobe... but dude has talents... he has the deep range, he has the explosiveness to finish plays around the rim.

What he truly lacks is the mid-range creativity, the post up, the stop and pop. He averages 15 ppg off the bench without the mid range game and ability to consistently go to free throw line.

If I were his personal coach, I'd say to him:

- work on the mid-range game (post up/ stop and pop)... that adds about 5.0 ppg to his scoring average.

- spend 2 days with Corey Maggette (LOL... ok not necessarily the plan but you know what I mean) and ask him to teach how to draw fouls and get to the free throw line... that is an extra 4-5 ppg..

- hit the gym and get stronger, that's how Kobe becomes good, he's physical... I'd encourage J.R. to be more physical defensively

J.R. has the ability to be a 25.0 ppg player any given season... from the effort he gives, most of the time, you know he can play smarter and play harder and better. In other words, he has not given his 110% yet to try to be the player he can be.

If I were Phil Jackson, knowing I had the ability to "reach" to players and seemingly push the right buttons to motivate them, I'd be intrigued with J.R.'s talent. It's just too much to see it go to waste... he's after all only 24 years old. T-Mac didn't become a star until his 5th season. But then, I'm not Phil, who I think is pretty happy with 10 championships and a possible 11th, with a $10 mil salary per, to take on a project like him.

But cmon man, comparing J.R. to Sun Yue is low... J.R. can play.

• Owner

But cmon man, comparing J.R. to Sun Yue is low... J.R. can play.

Smith is half of the player Bryant is. Yue is half of the player Smith is. I don't see why I can't run the same stake into the ground.

It also has nothing to do with coaching. Phil Jackson doesn't tap into guards. He's a big man coach, and the only personal time he hands out are with his bigs (if we're talking polishing offensive and defensive skillsets).

Otherwise, he manages egos.

And if you think JR Smith's ego is the only thing holding him back from being a legit comparison to Kobe Bryant, then I don't know what to tell you.

I said J.R. has the ability to average 25 ppg, is it on Kobe level? No. But 25 ppg is pretty good, a franchise player on some teams.

Coaching is not about just "teaching" skills. It is also about "bringing" the skills out... in other words, the skill to average 25 ppg is ALREADY in J.R. but someone has to say to him, "you can be pretty good if you do this, instead of this..." for him to do that. Phil is a master at that. I don't know what NBA coach other than him who can do this...

Right now J.R. is content with everything he has done... when he's nowhere near living up to his bar. If you notice I am not talking about Joey Graham being able to score 25 ppg here. Von Wafer can shoot... WIDE OPEN shots... and he becomes a stiff when his shot is contested, or having to create off the dribble, or when trying to finish around the rim. Yue is a 3 ppg scorer? Forget him. It's clear the only one who holds J.R. back is himself... so that's when Phil comes in with his psychology stuff.

• Owner

He averages 15 ppg off the bench without the mid range game and ability to consistently go to free throw line.

He doesn't have a mid-range game because he's always sitting around, waiting for open threes.

Free throw line? He attempts only 2-3 free throws a game. That's basically getting fouled one time in the penalty, and every other game, twice.

If I were his personal coach, I'd say to him:

- work on the mid-range game (post up/ stop and pop)... that adds about 5.0 ppg to his scoring average.

- spend 2 days with Corey Maggette (LOL... ok not necessarily the plan but you know what I mean) and ask him to teach how to draw fouls and get to the free throw line... that is an extra 4-5 ppg..

Come on now...this isn't NBA 2K. For one, you can't sit and determine how many more points he's going to score by working on different parts of his game, quite frankly because he'll spend more time in one-on-one positions (using your scenarios) than spotting up for open jumpers.

J.R. has the ability to be a 25.0 ppg player any given season.

On a team with no other star players? Probably so, shooting under 40% and playing like Kevin Martin did for the Kings, winning 15-20 games.

JR Smith shot 41% from the floor last season, took 14 FGA in under 28 minutes per game. Six of those attempts were threes, despite shooting under 34% from downtown. And this is with Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups on his team, feeding him wide open shots.

There's no chance in hell Smith will be an all-star or franchise player. Not in this lifetime, no matter who's coaching him.

• Owner

I said J.R. has the ability to average 25 ppg, is it on Kobe level? No. But 25 ppg is pretty good, a franchise player on some teams.

Coaching is not about just "teaching" skills. It is also about "bringing" the skills out... in other words, the skill to average 25 ppg is ALREADY in J.R. but someone has to say to him, "you can be pretty good if you do this, instead of this..." for him to do that. Phil is a master at that. I don't know what NBA coach other than him who can do this...

Right now J.R. is content with everything he has done... when he's nowhere near living up to his bar. If you notice I am not talking about Joey Graham being able to score 25 ppg here. Von Wafer can shoot... WIDE OPEN shots... and he becomes a stiff when his shot is contested, or having to create off the dribble, or when trying to finish around the rim. Yue is a 3 ppg scorer? Forget him. It's clear the only one who holds J.R. back is himself... so that's when Phil comes in with his psychology stuff.

Well, Denver doesn't want him anymore (there's a reason for it), and the only time he's recognized is when he's fighting someone, getting in car accidents, and just doing something ignorant to get into the papers.

Word was that LA had no interest in exploring trades for him, despite us not having Blake or Barnes yet.

Every year, we always wait for him to do something big, and he continues to fail, chucking more wide-open shots inefficiently and doing nothing back on defense.

I don't know what else to say about him. Honest to God, repeating what I've said before, I would rather have Sasha Vujacic backing up Kobe.

I'm getting that you're mad because someone tried to measure J.R. to Kobe Bryant.

I insist J.R. will not be as good as Kobe, that's not good enough for you? So much that you had to compare Sun Yue to J.R. because "someone tried to compare J.R. to Kobe"

Kobe fans need to understand, measuring up to him is a sign of respect, no disrespect... it's such an aloof attitude to say "noone can come close to me."

Kobe is the best, and noone will be better than him. We get it.

It's hard to make it NOT about Kobe when you Kobe fans do it. This is not about Kobe... this is about J.R. potentially being as good as Kobe... And I didn't just say, "yeah agreed 100% he will be good as Kobe" without explanations. My first post was incomplete that's why I made my second post. And I have elaborated what aspects of the game he has to improve to even think about coming close to his level... and repeated myself that he won't be as good. How it's taken as disrespect, I don't know... only Kobe fans who have too much pride that some other player fans try to measure their player up to Kobe. It makes me sea sick to have to "combat" arguments fueled by Kobe pride.

• Like 1

And you gotta understand where I'm coming from.

I'm no J.R. fan. I don't defend or condone his off court issues... e.g. the car crash, the jail time, the fight with another player this summer.

But he got talent and it's undeniable... I'm just stating facts. Again, I'm not making up stories how some stiffs can average 25 ppg... 25 ppg is within J.R.'s realm for someone who has the knack of scoring the basketball.

Those 25 ppg scorers we've come to know have many weapons:

1. the ability to hit mid-range,

2. the long ball,

3. ability to finish around the rim,

4. and ability to go to free throw line.

That's why they score a lot of points.

J.R. knows #2 and #3... the long-ball and finish around the rim... the reason why "he doesn't know" #1 and #4 is not because he doesn't have them, because I've seen personally (on very rare occassions) J.R. plays his mid-range game, and it's effective. He HAS it, he just DOESN'T USE it. It's different than Steve Kerr who knew the long-ball game, but had 0 mid-range game. J.R. only goes to the free throw line when he's fouled... but the best scorers know how to get to the free throw line even when they're not fouled... that's my point. It's not hard to see a 5.0 ppg improvement for each offensive aspect I lined out here. Corey Maggette scored 7.0 - 8.0 ppg from the FT every game and he's just a friggin role player.

• Owner

I'm getting that you're mad because someone tried to measure J.R. to Kobe Bryant.

LOL, no. I could care less. It's JR Smith.

I just think it's ignorant to think he can be a franchise player, let alone a superstar.

Plus, Smith plays nothing like Bryant, at all, so the writer is really saying that JR Smith can be a superstar and a champion.

Me saying I'd rather have Sasha is basically my stand against selfish players who chuck and do absolutely nothing else for their team. At least Vujacic tries to play defense, and he knows when to shoot the ball. Kobe, Gasol and Phil would slap the [expletive] out of Smith for trying to take 14 shots in our offense because, simply put, Smith is not a legit second option on a championship-caliber team.

He has yet to prove he's a primary option on a pathetic team, yet to prove he's a consistent THIRD option on a playoff team (Denver).

What do you expect from him? Well, you say 25 PPG. I can easily do the same thing you're doing with JR Smith, applying it to plenty of players. Josh Smith? Luol Deng? I'm sure you'd say the same about Ty Lawson. Rodney Stuckey? Danilo Gallinari? Russell Westbrook? Andre Iguodala? The list goes on and on.

Fact is, Smith has yet to show me anything that leads me to believe he can be a primary option on a good team. If he would EVER average 25 PPG, it would be on one of the worst teams in the league, and I will take that to my grave.

I see Smith more as a less efficient/more explosive Ben Gordon than anything remotely close to Kobe Bryant. He doesn't have the same mindset as Kobe, and it goes beyond selfishness and killer instinct. He just doesn't play with that kind of style, and will never be a franchise player playing the way he plays. And considering he's 5 years or so into his career (where most kind of plateau and are set in their games, despite age), I doubt that will change. He can be a Ben Gordon off the bench, though, which certainly is far from a bad thing. He's just got to work on his efficiency. If you're looked at as a gunner with little else to offer, you better be able to shoot better than 34% from 3 or 71% from the FT line.

You're not analyzing my post... I stated the reason why I believe he can average 25 ppg. The belief is based on reason.

I love Ty but I don't ever see him average 25 ppg... Afflalo is my fave player right now (cuz I have very little emphasis on being a "player" fan) but I don't see him average 25 ppg. I project REALISTICALLY... Luol Deng lacks the mobility to be the go-to man when the defense buckles up and the game is on the line... he also lacks the creative capacity to knock down more than 1 three a game... the same can be said about Josh Smith who has tremendous athleticism but is no threat from long range, has poor post up game, and has so-so handle.

J.R. has the "package"...

1.) he can handle the ball like a PG (he's often assigned as the team PG when Billups, Carter and Lawson are on the bench) therefore has the ability to take a defender off the dribble and create...

2.) he can pass like a PG making him extra dangerous (before the WCF with Lakers 2 yrs ago, I said his playmaking and passing would be crucial... in Denver home games, he repeatedly set up Nene, KMart, and Melo for easy dunks)...

3.) He can shoot long range

4.) He can finish among the best at the rim

Name me a weakness in J.R.'s OFFENSIVE game that I haven't already mentioned (mid range and ability to go to free throw line) and state with reason why you don't think he'd ever be a 25 ppg player instead of just saying "he'll never ever be a 25 ppg player".

---

He was a rookie and 2nd year player in New Orleans, you'd expect him (then a HS project) to be their primary option? Hornets never made him a primary option. Maybe during his rookie year when their roster was pitiful... but he was just a HS project rookie.

The reason why I think he can be a franchise player is because I believe he can average 25 ppg... anyone who averages 25 points is largely considered a franchise player.

If J.R. can add the mid-range (post and stop and pop) game, and ability to go to free throw line... while his retaining his 3 pt touch and athleticism to finish above the rim... wouldn't he be at least SIMILAR to Kobe? Analyze the question carefully and answer and mean it.

I mean, he doesn't shoot funny like Shawn Marion... and he doesn't use funny floaters like Antawn Jamison... he has great form, he dunks with flair, he is exciting to watch just like #24.

I see Smith more as a less efficient/more explosive Ben Gordon than anything remotely close to Kobe Bryant. He doesn't have the same mindset as Kobe, and it goes beyond selfishness and killer instinct. He just doesn't play with that kind of style, and will never be a franchise player playing the way he plays. And considering he's 5 years or so into his career (where most kind of plateau and are set in their games, despite age), I doubt that will change. He can be a Ben Gordon off the bench, though, which certainly is far from a bad thing. He's just got to work on his efficiency. If you're looked at as a gunner with little else to offer, you better be able to shoot better than 34% from 3 or 71% from the FT line.

That's why you guys have to understand... I'm not saying he IS... I'm saying he COULD BE IF he be a nice boy and do what his personal coach (me) told him to do... develop mid range game (namely post and stop and pop) and skill to go to free throw line.

But J.R. will never be a nice boy because of... J.R.

This is where Zen Master comes in... he's the only one I can think of who can basically make J.R. be the best player he can be. I think right now J.R. is only about 60% of the player he can be.

• Owner

You're not analyzing my post... I stated the reason why I believe he can average 25 ppg. The belief is based on reason.

I love Ty but I don't ever see him average 25 ppg... Afflalo is my fave player right now (cuz I have very little emphasis on being a "player" fan) but I don't see him average 25 ppg. I project REALISTICALLY... Luol Deng lacks the mobility to be the go-to man when the defense buckles up and the game is on the line... he also lacks the creative capacity to knock down more than 1 three a game... the same can be said about Josh Smith who has tremendous athleticism but is no threat from long range, has poor post up game, and has so-so handle.

J.R. has the "package"...

1.) he can handle the ball like a PG (he's often assigned as the team PG when Billups, Carter and Lawson are on the bench) therefore has the ability to take a defender off the dribble and create...

2.) he can pass like a PG making him extra dangerous (before the WCF with Lakers 2 yrs ago, I said his playmaking and passing would be crucial... in Denver home games, he repeatedly set up Nene, KMart, and Melo for easy dunks)...

3.) He can shoot long range

4.) He can finish among the best at the rim

Name me a weakness in J.R.'s OFFENSIVE game that I haven't already mentioned (mid range and ability to go to free throw line) and state with reason why you don't think he'd ever be a 25 ppg player instead of just saying "he'll never ever be a 25 ppg player".

---

He was a rookie and 2nd year player in New Orleans, you'd expect him (then a HS project) to be their primary option? Hornets never made him a primary option. Maybe during his rookie year when their roster was pitiful... but he was just a HS project rookie.

The reason why I think he can be a franchise player is because I believe he can average 25 ppg... anyone who averages 25 points is largely considered a franchise player.

If J.R. can add the mid-range (post and stop and pop) game, and ability to go to free throw line... while his retaining his 3 pt touch and athleticism to finish above the rim... wouldn't he be at least SIMILAR to Kobe? Analyze the question carefully and answer and mean it.

I mean, he doesn't shoot funny like Shawn Marion... and he doesn't use funny floaters like Antawn Jamison... he has great form, he dunks with flair, he is exciting to watch just like #24.

Dude, JR Smith does not pass like a point guard, and he does not make plays. To make plays, you have to make good decisions on the court, and if he was making good decisions on the court, he wouldn't be chucking 14 FGA per game.

He finishes among the best at the rim...in the dunk contest.

Why is this even being discussed? That entire post is overrating him, and is exactly what you WANT Smith to be, not what he can be.