Boozer thinks Bulls can be title contenders

Warren2ThaG

http://www.blogcdn.com/fantasy.fanhouse.com/media/2010/07/carlos-boozer-bulls-200t.jpg

Boozer thinks Bulls can be title contenders

----------------

Carlos Boozer thinks the Chicago Bulls can be title contenders this season and is very excited to get started with his new team and teammates.

"I think a realistic goal for us is a championship...I think [we have] potential to be a championship-level team," said Boozer. "With myself in the post, D. Rose at the point guard spot, Joakim [Noah] plugging that middle up, Luol Deng being very versatile on the wing, I think we have a team that can rival anybody." While you have to admire Booz's enthusiasm, most feel the East's champ will probably come from the state of Florida (Miami or Orlando).

---

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38973313/ns/sports-player_news/

• Owner

What about the 04-05, 05-06, and 08-09 seasons?

I can go back to Kobe's prime and pick out four seasons where he missed 14+ games.

Shaq has four rings, but he followed the same pattern, missing games.

Boozer's last four seasons...

2006-07: 74 games

2007-08: 81 games

2008-09: 37 games

2009-10: 78 games

I'd be happy about that. Basically, he missed a half a season, and was pretty healthy for the other 3 1/2 years.

It's awesome to know that a Boozer-like signing automatically makes you a title contender. Good luck with that Bulls.

yep, and also the additional signings the bulls have made. We can compete against any team, and I dont see why not. Obviously we would be big underdogs against teams such as the magics/heats, but we can still compete, and who knows what can happen. I would rather see my players talk about championships, instead of just making the playoffs.

Hes right. The Bulls are going to be a great team, there are 4 legitimate powerhouses in the East and the Bulls are one of them. Rose is emerging into a superstar, Noah is becoming a top big man. Booz is Booz, and they still got Deng. Plus I like how they added a lot of shooters to their team, their gonna be a good team and I think they can be a problem for the Heat with their physical inside play.

I wish they would have kept Kirk though, cause then they would have had Deng to cover Lebron and Kirk who gives Wade problems quite often. But oh well, if Rose keeps getting better like he has been doing the Bulls are going to be a force.

Since Wade didn't sign here, I don't think they'd be title contenders.

They still need a wing scorer... Booz' post scoring and Rose's improved offense are nice but they're not enough. Can Luol Deng step up? I doubt it.

If Melo somehow signs with Bulls as a FA next year, then they would be. Melo would be a PERFECT fit.

Since Wade didn't sign here, I don't think they'd be title contenders.

They still need a wing scorer... Booz' post scoring and Rose's improved offense are nice but they're not enough. Can Luol Deng step up? I doubt it.

If Melo somehow signs with Bulls as a FA next year, then they would be. Melo would be a PERFECT fit.

I don't know if a wing scorer is what they truly need, since Deng already averaged 18 ppg last year on good shooting numbers. As far as overall scoring from the rest of the positions goes, Rose is already a scoring oriented PG, and Boozer can put up 20+ on any given night as well. Other than that, Noah, Brewer, Gibson, Korver, and Watson are all double-figure scorers when given the minutes, so I don't think scoring is going to be a main issue for Chicago.

In my opinion, if they are to truly contend though, I do believe they need an upgrade at SG. If they can find someone that can both shoot extremely well to space the floor for Rose and Boozer and be a top-notch defender to give trouble to opposing offenses... like if they could mesh Brewer and Korver into a single player, that would be perfect. A cherry on top would be a sixth man that can provide an extra scoring spark, then they would have everything and would look almost as dangerous as the Lakers.

I really do think the bulls have a chance of being a top 4 seed this season.

They basically took the Jazz over, with Boozer Brewer etc.. I think they will be one of the powerhouses to look at. And Yes I think they actaully might have a chance at the ECF

I don't know if a wing scorer is what they truly need, since Deng already averaged 18 ppg last year on good shooting numbers. As far as overall scoring from the rest of the positions goes, Rose is already a scoring oriented PG, and Boozer can put up 20+ on any given night as well. Other than that, Noah, Brewer, Gibson, Korver, and Watson are all double-figure scorers when given the minutes, so I don't think scoring is going to be a main issue for Chicago.

In my opinion, if they are to truly contend though, I do believe they need an upgrade at SG. If they can find someone that can both shoot extremely well to space the floor for Rose and Boozer and be a top-notch defender to give trouble to opposing offenses... like if they could mesh Brewer and Korver into a single player, that would be perfect. A cherry on top would be a sixth man that can provide an extra scoring spark, then they would have everything and would look almost as dangerous as the Lakers.

They're dangerous... but I still can't see the clear cut go-to guy, e.g. when the game is on the line. Score margin is 1 with 2 minutes left. I just don't see Boozer or Deng as the guy. Rose? Sure but he is not exactly the kind of go-to offense that you'd rely on when the game is on the line, vs. stifling half court defense... to do it. This is a legitimate star's job. I just don't see Deng or Booz as the guy who do it... they're the guys who "produce in the first 3 quarters to keep them in it". They still need someone who can legitimately carry them when the game goes to the wire.

They're dangerous... but I still can't see the clear cut go-to guy, e.g. when the game is on the line. Score margin is 1 with 2 minutes left. I just don't see Boozer or Deng as the guy. Rose? Sure but he is not exactly the kind of go-to offense that you'd rely on when the game is on the line, vs. stifling half court defense... to do it. This is a legitimate star's job. I just don't see Deng or Booz as the guy who do it... they're the guys who "produce in the first 3 quarters to keep them in it". They still need someone who can legitimately carry them when the game goes to the wire.

Yea... and that's Derrick Rose.

• Owner

Rose? Sure but he is not exactly the kind of go-to offense that you'd rely on when the game is on the line, vs. stifling half court defense... to do it. This is a legitimate star's job.

So Rose isn't a legitimate star?

So Rose isn't a legitimate star?

What I meant is "offensive" star. Rose is great in open court, I do think he has progressed/ improved, but take the Lakers (or best defensive team) with 1 pt margin down the stretch, half court defense... you go with Rose? Maybe. Maybe he delivers in 4-5 out of 10 similar situations. But I'm saying a legitimate OFFENSIVE star like Melo can realistically deliver in 7-8 out of 10 similar situations.

Rose is great in the open court, strong, very quick, but when the game is on the line, it's a whole different ball game to most players, especially one that does not find offense his nature. Rose is a PG, he scores when the opportunity presents but, he's not a scorer. And what I'm saying is this Bulls team lacks that one real scorer.

And what I'm saying is this Bulls team lacks that one real scorer.

Yea... and that's Derrick Rose!

Do me a favor... go look up how many points Melo averaged in his second year, then look up how many Rose averaged last year. Also campare Rose's scoring numbers to other top PGs like Chris Paul and Deron Williams, who also happen to be burdened with taking pressure shots for their own respective teams, and even happen to have the reputation of being quite good at it. THEN tell me again why Rose isn't good enough to be the go-to guy when the game is on the line, against any kind of defense.

Because he's not a TRUE scorer.

Dwyane Wade, Melo are TRUE scorers. Scoring is their role. Derrick Rose, CP3, Deron Williams can score but they're not considered scorers. In tight situations, when the defense gets serious, you need someone who has the knack of putting the ball into the basket, and that's someone like Melo or Wade...

If Rose averages 25 ppg, then I wouldn't disagree... and if you can convince me why Rose is as good an option as those TRUE scorers like Melo, when the game is on the line with 2 mins or less, with only 1-2 pts score margin, against a great defensive team (e.g. Lakers with Artest, Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Barnes). Converting in only 4 out of 10 situations is not a high percentage... and if they have 5 of those games in the playoffs, it would be the reason why they'd be searching for a "true" scorer once they're out.

Derrick Rose, CP3, Deron Williams can score but they're not considered scorers.

...yet Deron and Paul take the majority of the pressure shots for their team, just like I said in the previous post.

And of course they focus on distributing during the course of the game as point guards, which is why they aren't considered "scorers" as their singular role, even though they are also the most efficient scorers for their respective teams. so they switch to attack mode by the end of games to ensure victories, and repeating myself once again, they are good at it.

As the number 1 overall pick and an all star by the very next season, Rose can be good at it too if he isn't already.

In tight situations, when the defense gets serious, you need someone who has the knack of putting the ball into the basket, and that's someone like Melo or Wade...

*sigh*

Fine, I'll do it for you:

Melo's sophomore year: 20.8 points (FG 43%, 3PT 27%, FT 80%; True Shooting Percentage 52.6% ).

Rose's sophomore year: 20.8 points (FG 49%, 3PT 27%, FT 77%; True Shooting Percentage 53.2%)

If Rose averages 25 ppg, then I wouldn't disagree... and if you can convince me why Rose is as good an option as those TRUE scorers like Melo, when the game is on the line with 2 mins or less, with only 1-2 pts score margin, against a great defensive team (e.g. Lakers with Artest, Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Barnes).

Well, Melo does have a good 5 extra years of experience, so yes, he is currently a better scorer.

Would he be a valuable asset to the Bulls team? Yes, just like any team.

Would he be a higher option than Rose? Of course.

Do the Bulls absolutely need him in order to contend? No.

Converting in only 4 out of 10 situations is not a high percentage...

That is pure speculation. You don't know if Rose converts 4 out of 10 times, and even if you did know, you don't know how much the 21-year-old all star will continue to improve.

• Owner

What are you saying? (to Snake)

Dude, Rose is a scoring point guard, not a pass-first. He's also an excellent finisher at the rim, and he's showing an improved jumper.

Just because he's not a dominant scorer like Durant, Bryant or Melo doesn't mean he can't finish off a game. Otherwise, there are only five players in the league that fit your criteria (the three I named, Wade and LeBron).

• Owner

If Rose averages 25 ppg, then I wouldn't disagree

So you think that Monta Ellis (25.5 PPG) can finish games better than Derrick Rose? And you'd rather have the ball in his hands?

Brandon Roy averaged 21.5 PPG, almost right there with Rose (20.8). Would you say that he can't finish off games? That maybe Danny Granger (at 24.1 PPG) is better?