[Completed] NBA's best player to never be an all-star

Real Deal

Seriously?

Purvis Short takes this, easily.

Best Season: 28.0 PPG on 46% FG, 5.1 RPG, 3.0 APG, 1.5 SPG

Career: 17.3 PPG on 47.4% FG, 4.3 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.0 SPG

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/shortpu01.html

Ehh...I'd take Ron Harper over him. Short made the playoffs only 3x, 2 of them being first round knockouts. He also didn't do much other than score. Harper did a little of everything and played as an inregal part of how many championship teams? 4-5?

Odom is an appalling player, best player to never be an all-star? Ya right.

Deron Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My vote for this is Deron Williams, the best answer by far.

care to explain?

EDIT: well you kind of did, but the thing that is truly appalling is your post, Odom was one of the most talented players in the NBA and still is extremely talented. Odom isn't good for this list but he is probably the perfect role player, he can do so much.

Edited by travesy3

• Owner

Ehh...I'd take Ron Harper over him. Short made the playoffs only 3x, 2 of them being first round knockouts. He also didn't do much other than score. Harper did a little of everything and played as an inregal part of how many championship teams? 4-5?

Yeah, but we're talking Derek Fisher integral (more defense, less clutch), not Mike or Scottie. And the dude was a mess during our first championship season with Kobe and Shaq...worse than Smush on the offensive end, and gambled way too much. That second season, I can't say he was even a part of it...played half the year, didn't even really play in the playoff run (six games, scoreless in four, didn't start in any of them, didn't play over 8 minutes in five of those).

Short was a decent defender, played the passing lanes well. I've only seen about five or six total games of him, though, when he played the Bulls and Sixers (because I watched so much of Barkley and Jordan VHS tapes, it was sad)...but he wasn't that bad on the defensive end. Plus, he shot the ball at a high percentage for a slashing, skinny forward, which is so important. ;)

People say Kevin Durant doesn't do much other than score, either, but I'd stick him on my team over almost everyone else in the league at this point.

As far as first-round knockouts, McGrady was good at that. His first four visits with Toronto and Orlando, he fell all four times...noting those two teams because they were pre-Yao. In his prime, and before his injury, Short didn't have much to work with outside of Sleepy and Barry Carroll. By the time he landed in Houston with Hakeem, he was already coming off the bench and struggling to stay healthy.

Harper was like 36/37 years old by the Lakers era and unlike Fisher, Harper rely a lot on his strong body and his athleticism. Sure, his role in the Lakers team was minimal, but he did have an impact with the Bulls and that's still 3 championship teams.

my vote goes to Byron Scott. he was a dynamite scorer and the #2 scorer on a stacked team that feature James Worthy, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Michael Cooper. he had a season averaging 22/4/4 and another season with 20/4/3. the man was a beast

I have the best life ever

yet you feel the need to make up stories about having sex with girls on the internet :unsure:

my vote goes to Byron Scott. he was a dynamite scorer and the #2 scorer on a stacked team that feature James Worthy, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Michael Cooper. he had a season averaging 22/4/4 and another season with 20/4/3. the man was a beast

yet you feel the need to make up stories about having sex with girls on the internet :unsure:

sorry... if you don't believe me.. that means you can't have girls.

Oh come on guys, no one has said Derek Harper yet???

The man had 7 straight years of averaging 15+PPG and 5+APG (including 5 straight years of 7+APG).

He was a huge contributor on a good Mavericks team, and is probably the best all around player out of anyone mentioned in this thread thus far.

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

LOL...

Ron Harper 2

Joakim Noah

Josh Childress

Al Jefferson

Lamar Odom

Purvis Short

Andrew Bogut

Eddie Johnson

Ben Gordon