Shaq starts? Or Jermaine?

Air Robinson

Shaq will probably start because his ego is far, far too large for the bench, and they don't need a mutiny against Doc like what supposedly happened in Cleveland. However, Jermaine should start. He fits the team's style much, much better with his defense. The Celtics will definitely take a hit next year defensively if Shaq gets major minutes.

It will be REALLY interesting to see how Doc manages the C position when Perkins comes back relatively healthy.

Yeah I totally agree, he can start and be effective, but Jermaine is a better player at this point and yes he does fit the system well. We don't have Rasheed so everything should be cool unless someone complains. I don't know if they'll take a hit, due to Shaq's offense and with Rajon Rondo giving him dimes I think he'll be a great player for his age for the Celtics.

And you really believe that'll last? Especially when Perkins comes back and Shaq could potentially be reduced to a third string C?

Jermaine can play PF. Glen Davis is the one who will receive the biggest hit in playing time. If Shaq comes off the bench for Jermaine, his role will not change when Perkins starts and Jermaine becomes the back up PF.

Jermaine can play PF. Glen Davis is the one who will receive the biggest hit in playing time. If Shaq comes off the bench for Jermaine, his role will not change when Perkins starts and Jermaine becomes the back up PF.

I really think there is no chance after the way Davis has played the last 2 seasons (well, more specifically, post-seasons) that Doc will cut down his minutes to under 15MPG. It won't happen, not for a relatively unproductive 37y.o Shaq and injury-prone, 15 year veteran JO. Davis offers a very different look from the other bigs on the roster, and they will take advantage of it. Once Perkins comes back I can still see JO getting a little over 20MPG like Sheed got last year, but after that there aren't many minutes for Shaq. Doc is very good at player management and will likely find a way to make it work, but once Perkins comes back there is a logjam at the frontcourt positions. And with Shaq's history, if the team is sliding a bit and he's not getting his minutes or touches, he will create chemistry rifts.

I really think there is no chance after the way Davis has played the last 2 seasons (well, more specifically, post-seasons) that Doc will cut down his minutes to under 15MPG. It won't happen, not for a relatively unproductive 37y.o Shaq and injury-prone, 15 year veteran JO. Davis offers a very different look from the other bigs on the roster, and they will take advantage of it. Once Perkins comes back I can still see JO getting a little over 20MPG like Sheed got last year, but after that there aren't many minutes for Shaq. Doc is very good at player management and will likely find a way to make it work, but once Perkins comes back there is a logjam at the frontcourt positions. And with Shaq's history, if the team is sliding a bit and he's not getting his minutes or touches, he will create chemistry rifts.

JO is a much better defender and provides more spacing and overall talent, and Shaq is basically a bigger and more skilled but older Glen Davis. With Garnett and Perkins starting by the time it's post season, I really don't see any room for playing time for Davis with the way the current roster stands. Perhaps he'll gain more playing time against teams with smaller line ups to match up. Really though, Big Baby isn't someone I'd break my back to find playing time for in the first place.

And concerning chemistry, I have no idea. I always like to think players can change, but for now I'm just going to look at them from a pure objective standpoint towards them as basketball players. The Celtics will make the proper line up adjustments if chemistry problems do occur.

JO is a much better defender and provides more spacing and overall talent, and Shaq is basically a bigger and more skilled but older Glen Davis. With Garnett and Perkins starting by the time it's post season, I really don't see any room for playing time for Davis with the way the current roster stands. Perhaps he'll gain more playing time against teams with smaller line ups to match up. Really though, Big Baby isn't someone I'd break my back to find playing time for in the first place.

How is Shaq a more skilled player than Davis? Davis has a midrange jumper and athleticism; one of which Shaq never had, and the other is something Shaq hasn't had in a few years. He's also a better defender than Shaq is, especially at this point in their respective careers. He also provides the team with energy and spark, something Shaq doesn't.

And Davis averaged 16/6 in the 2009 post-season when KG was hurt, and played very well at times last post-season. I get that he probably won't be getting more minutes than JO/KG/Shaq/Perkins, but at the same time he's not going to be a bench-warmer either. I can't Doc cutting into his 2009-2010 average of 17MPG too much. He offers the kind of energy and different style that none of those bigs possess.

And concerning chemistry, I have no idea. I always like to think players can change, but for now I'm just going to look at them from a pure objective standpoint towards them as basketball players. The Celtics will make the proper line up adjustments if chemistry problems do occur.

The issue is that the proper lineup adjustment to maximize the team's potential may not be in line with what Shaq feels is correct. It''s happened when he was unstoppable and taking over 20FGA per game, and it happened last year as a 37y.o starter playing nearly 24MPG. The fact that he's not going to get the same minutes he did last year, especially when Perkins comes back, is a red flag. The fact that he probably will even have less of an offensive role is another major red flag. The fact that he's going to be 38 and won't make the Celtics better if he's a featured player makes the situation a potentially toxic one.

How is Shaq a more skilled player than Davis? Davis has a midrange jumper and athleticism; one of which Shaq never had, and the other is something Shaq hasn't had in a few years. He's also a better defender than Shaq is, especially at this point in their respective careers. He also provides the team with energy and spark, something Shaq doesn't.

How is Shaq more skilled than Davis? Well, a much better post game for starters. He's actually capable of taking his man one on one and scoring efficiently. Sure he doesn't command double teams like he once did, but he can still be an actual threat.

Also, I don't consider this "midrange jumper" to be a part of Glen's arsenal. I remember a game winner, but there's a reason he was open of all people.

And one last thing, Shaq averages more rebounds per 36 minutes than Glen.

It's really odd comparing Shaq to Glen Davis... it should be more than obvious who is better, even at his age. Big Baby shoots a an awful percentage, and he doesn't even rebound that well. Shaq is better in every way, except Glen has quicker feet. I'll give him that.

And Davis averaged 16/6 in the 2009 post-season when KG was hurt, and played very well at times last post-season. I get that he probably won't be getting more minutes than JO/KG/Shaq/Perkins, but at the same time he's not going to be a bench-warmer either. I can't Doc cutting into his 2009-2010 average of 17MPG too much. He offers the kind of energy and different style that none of those bigs possess.

The reason big baby was able to produce points is because of the talent that surrounds him. Teams pay so much attention to Allen, Pierce, Rondo, and even Perkins that Davis is barely kept an eye on. Even then, his shooting numbers weren't that impressive, especially since the bulk of his scoring is right underneath the basket.

Put him on a mediocre team, and Glen turns out to be the below average player he always was.

Overall, I don't see the same urgency to give Glen Davis minutes as you do. He doesn't produce better than the other options they have, and he doesn't have a whole lot of potential anyway, so there's no real reason to try to develop him and cut into the playing time of veteran players that have a much better chance at giving the team another Finals run.

The issue is that the proper lineup adjustment to maximize the team's potential may not be in line with what Shaq feels is correct. It''s happened when he was unstoppable and taking over 20FGA per game, and it happened last year as a 37y.o starter playing nearly 24MPG. The fact that he's not going to get the same minutes he did last year, especially when Perkins comes back, is a red flag. The fact that he probably will even have less of an offensive role is another major red flag. The fact that he's going to be 38 and won't make the Celtics better if he's a featured player makes the situation a potentially toxic one.

All I'm saying is that we'll see what happens. If it comes to the worst, the Celtics will waive his vets minimum contract.

Imaging all the step backs JO and KG would be taking makes me kind of sick. But then watching Shaq try and post up and put up bricks also makes me sick. Give me Shaq because I like him better on the glass.

Co-sign getting Davis minutes, that dude hustles his [expletive] off and while he does make some boneheaded plays, I'll take it because he is giving 110% all game. Cut Snaq once Perk is back.