Sixers Emerge as Anthony's landing spot

Unless Evan Turner was going to Denver I don't know what they would be sending. I guess maybe Jrue+Speights and picks might tickle their fancy but that would be kind of the opposite direction Philly should be going, and they would probably have to send Brand too unless they have the contracts.

I doubt Philly is making a play for Melo since I doubt Melo would want to sign there long-term after getting there, but you never know... Iggy-Turner-Melo could be fun.

I don't see any way this happens, mainly because I don't see why Carmelo would want to come here when the Sixers probably aren't contending for a title in the next few years.

http://www.the700level.com/2010/09/start-the-commotion-sixers-possible-landing-spot-for-melo-.html

The700Level (local Philly sports blog) broke this down earlier today. The three-team-deal scenario is interesting, mainly because that seems a lot more possible than Carmelo coming here.

Iggy is nice but let's face it he's not a franchise player...

From Sixers I'd like:

- Andre Iguodala

- Jrue Holiday (I'm high on him I think he has what it takes to be very good)

- Future 1st rd pick

Sixers can keep Turner with all due respect, I just don't see the guy turning any special.

I <3 Jrue, but I'd do that in a second.

Jrue Holiday is untouchable, according to Eddie Stiff.

Kinda wish we could give up Brand instead of Iggy....Iggy would finally be able to defer to his role like he was in FIBA..he's much more effective that way, as a 2nd-3rd option.

Ya'll didn't read into this article did you?

The way the proposed deal is, is Iggy goes to Denver, Favors + 2012 GS 1st pick to Sixers and the Nets get Melo.

I am not sure if Denver lands Iggy + the Nets 1st 2011 pick or 12 pick. That hasn't been announced in the proposed deal yet.

I did read the article. I was just posting that in a "what if" kinda way lol.

And I heard something a bit different from the one you heard...although yours is probably more realistic.

I would definitely love having Favors AND Turner, though

I read somewhere about an Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, and Jason Kapono (expiring) package, or something of that sort for Carmelo.

pg: Holiday

sg: Turner

sf: Melo

pf: Brand

c: Hawes

That's a decent lineup if you give it a couple of years (minus Brand), but I'm not sure why Carmelo would welcome this trade. Seems like he'd be better off staying in Denver. And obviously no trade should be made unless he accepts an extension, which I don't see happening.

^He can sign an extension with Denver then be traded... or be traded and then sign an extension with his new team.

Melo for Iggy is lame... We know Iggy's ceiling is... I'd rather go on the risk route and take Favors in. It's bust or superstar... we Nuggets don't have many options to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
The Sixers and Denver are talking about a potential trade that would bring Carmelo Anthony to Philadelphia and send Andre Iguodala to Denver, a Western Conference executive has confirmed to the Daily News.

The executive said Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri has spoken with Ed Stefanski.

Other players would need to be involved in the trade to match salaries.

The Sixers are not among the four teams that Anthony has said are his preferred destinations, with Chicago and New York at the top of his list.

The Sixers also would need to get Anthony to sign an extension. His contract expires after the season and he has not signed a 3-year extension offered by Denver.

Iguodala agreed to a 6-year, $80 million contract with the Sixers in August 2008.

Reports late last week had Anthony close to going to New Jersey in a complex four-team deal that also involved Utah and Charlotte. The New York Daily News is reporting that the Bobcats are holding up the deal, unwilling to include point guard D.J. Augustin. Charlotte was expecting Augustin would replace Raymond Felton, who left this offseason via free agency.

Indications are that the Nuggets would like a deal done before they begin training camp tomorrow.

Link

Um....

• Owner

I don't understand why the Nuggets would want Iguodala. His contract is terrible, they are trying to rebuild, and would like to free up more cap space.

Well, he's still young. They are seeking picks, young talent and expiring contracts.

I'm thinking that maybe there's more to the trade than we can read (obviously, there has to be). Denver will probably rake in a pick or two, maybe a nice expiring.

If that's the case, they get what they want for Melo.

Well, he's still young. They are seeking picks, young talent and expiring contracts.

I'm thinking that maybe there's more to the trade than we can read (obviously, there has to be). Denver will probably rake in a pick or two, maybe a nice expiring.

If that's the case, they get what they want for Melo.

But that's not rebuilding, that's more of a team trying to receive equal talent. One has to think that Denver wants to completely overhaul their roster and build through draft picks (similar to what Washington is currently doing).

And if Melo doesn't want to go to New Jersey, why would he want to go to Philly?

But that's not rebuilding, that's more of a team trying to receive equal talent. One has to think that Denver wants to completely overhaul their roster and build through draft picks (similar to what Washington is currently doing).

And if Melo doesn't want to go to New Jersey, why would he want to go to Philly?

i know, philly got a lot of love for t.young as their SF

Don't want Iggy... can't understand any team's fascination about him. He'll never be a good 1st option...

I'll take Iggy if Holiday is also in the deal and at least 1 future first round pick. But I'm sure they're discussing Turner instead of Holiday... and Melo's signing extension there is a long shot if he doesn't approve going to Nets.

Don't want Iggy... can't understand any team's fascination about him. He'll never be a good 1st option...

I'll take Iggy if Holiday is also in the deal and at least 1 future first round pick. But I'm sure they're discussing Turner instead of Holiday... and Melo's signing extension there is a long shot if he doesn't approve going to Nets.

You won't get half of what you say you'll "take". The Nuggets have no leverage, and you still don't seem to understand that.

^Tell me how we don't have leverage when:

- We can say to Melo, "screw you, you're a Nugget for the whole 2010-11 season, then you can leave as a free agent in 2011, we as a team get nothing in return when you walk, but you also woN'T get the extension"

- EVERYone knows Melo wants that extension (EVERYone except maybe you) because if he signs under new CBA next summer, the money could be less by as much as 30-35% range (or about $18-24 mil less). EVERYone knows this, but you're the only who keeps saying the less money means little you're a joke :lol:

- Melo's agents (Leon Rose and CAA) are actually pushing Melo to agree to the Nets trade and sign extension.

Again it comes back to the new CBA being instituted next summer. Any player signing a contract under the new CBA will take considerably less money, be it a max, a mid level, a veteran minimum, a minimum. Dude don't keep saying this doesn't matter when you don't understand it.