"I'm a Nugget"

magicbalala245

Mostly on La La TV Show but Carmelo does reinstate that he's a Nugget when asked where do you want to play this year around the 1:50 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Jvm60Aip4

Edited by magicbalala245

To me, this is nothing short of psychology reverse. He knows Nuggets still hold the card, what better than a Live Show to express your true feelings so the Nuggets know it? He did stress, I'm not a free agent yet, and Lopez did ask "what if you're a free agent?"... "That's a different story".

The Nuggets have basically dared Melo to opt out and be a free agent if he's willing to take a lot less money by signing under new CBA. Their card is knowing that Melo does not want to go that route because the money will be A LOT LESS and he wants extension. That's Nuggets' leverage.

Basically Melo in the show is showing the Nuggets, "you dared me to leave via free agency, then that's what I'm going to do, I'm really going to leave in the next summer." Basically trying to bluff and shake the Nuggets, and taking away that leverage. "You think I can't take less money? I will prove it by leaving next summer."

If the Nuggets blink first, they will trade him and give to Melo's wishes. And they will lose. If the Nuggets hold on strong to their card, and in turn make Melo blink first, then Melo will say, "alright I'll sign the extension."

This is a brilliant move by Melo, considering he doesn't have the strongest cards, and that he's done it (pressuring the Nuggets to trade him) without ever publicly saying "TRADE ME NOW". It's brilliant.

Lol you're a fool if you think the CBA is playing that much of a role, if the NBA goes to a hard cap or cuts the cap drastically, all current contracts will be rolled back as well. Even though I don't think the cap will even go down, Melo will get his money wherever he wants it.

^Current contracts are NOT affected... I don't know what you're talking about.

Dude, this is NBA, not NFL or other sports.

Everyone has been saying the new CBA will impose less salaries for players because owners now are losing too much money... and therefore everyone knows Melo wants to sign that extension before next summer. Only catch is he doesn't want to extend as a Nugget.

Everyone knows this, except you.

Get your facts straight before you insult me you moron. If the owners/teams are losing so much money why did the cap go up 0.3M this off-season from last year? If the cap is shrunken it will be minimal at best, you are misguided if you think the NBA is in some sort of financial peril, only small market teams are. And even if the cap is shrunken hugely, it is very likely current contracts will be rolled back and optimal buyout rates will be given, that is if a hard cap is instituted at least. I know Melo wants his money, it is why he signed the 4 year extension instead of 3 years like the big 3 (I think everyone and their mom's knew he'd be kicking himself at the time once the big 3 expired and he was stuck in Denver).

The fact is that Melo will get his money next off-season whether it is in Denver, New York or New Jersey, you are overestimating the negative potential of a new CBA. If Melo doesn't get as much a full max as it stands now, the difference of a new contract would be marginal (minus the extra year he would get in Denver).

The fact of the matter is this, with a new CBA, the big market teams will still have the resources to offer big money, and the small market teams still won't, and unless the salary cap is shrunk to 40 million (it won't be), everything you think you know is thrown out the window. I am almost willing to guarantee that Melo can get a starting salary in the new CBA of 15M just like LBJ and company got. If Melo cared as much about money as you thought, he would have demanded a trade by now so he could get an extension hammered out somewhere else.

You keep on making a fool of yourself in every topic I see you in, you are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about, seriously.

Edited by travesy3

• Owner

It's not just the cap that will be affected, though. There's still talk of dropping a year off the max deal AND lowering the max contract percentage. That poses a big problem for these guys wanting to become free agents in July. It means less years on the contract and less money per season, effective for all new contracts only (coming from Chad Ford's mouth on Twitter).

The franchises could care less about the lower cap because it will more than likely mean lower player salaries (that's what the idea is geared to accommodate). But the players are upset about the possibility of all the money they will be losing, not necessarily because of a lower cap, but because of the tighter restrictions and limits put on new contract agreements.

Get your facts straight... cap might go up but the max contract, the mid level, the rookie contract, the minimum veteran, the minimum contract are rumored to go down... e.g. say the current max is $20 mil for a superstar, it could go down to only $16-17 mil... and over a 6 year contract/ extension, the difference of $3-4 mil per season is about $18-24 mil and that's huge. For a player like Melo who doesn't have many endorsements (at least compared to LeBron, Kobe), they can't afford to say, "yahh, $18-24 mil difference is okay, I still have my $20-30 mil/ year endorsements". And this is where players who sign under the new CBA next summer are affected.

If the mid-level are $5 mil now it can go down to $4 mil... this is huge, it is a 20% drop off.

If it was likely to be a minimal change only, there would have been no potential of a lockout.

Dude, you keep saying the current contracts will be rolled back as well :lol: if this was the case, all the NBA experts with NBA knowledge (you know, "sources") like Stein, Wojnarowski, Bucher, Ford, Broussard would have broken the news. These guys are not New York Post reporters, they're valid NBA sources... what they report usually turn out real. They get paid handsomely for what they do... and you're telling me you know more than these guys? It's their profession fo god sake. Like always, you're the only "expert" who did. You're the only expert who says current contracts will be rolled back as well. Real Deal also posted twice directly responding to your posts about your theories. Dude you keep making your own rules and fantasies of what's going on... is this a subconscious impact of losing a franchise player like Chris Bosh for draft picks having on a fan's brain? Thanks for the warning, I will make sure I will stay sane when Nuggets lose Melo.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

Get your facts straight... cap might go up but the max contract, the mid level, the rookie contract, the minimum veteran, the minimum contract are rumored to go down... e.g. say the current max is $20 mil for a superstar, it could go down to only $16-17 mil... and over a 6 year contract/ extension, the difference of $3-4 mil per season is about $18-24 mil and that's huge.

1. :lol: you just contradicted yourself rather nicely there, the contracts in the NBA are dependent on the current NBA salary cap.

For a player like Melo who doesn't have many endorsements (at least compared to LeBron, Kobe), they can't afford to say, "yahh, $18-24 mil difference is okay, I still have my $20-30 mil/ year endorsements". And this is where players who sign under the new CBA next summer are affected.

2. "The most notable Carmelo Anthony endorsement to date is the deal to promote the Nike Air Jordan Carmelo, part of an endorsement deal with the sneaker giant that reportedly totaled $75 million." Hmmmm.... just by googling Carmelo Anthony endorsements I found this lol.

If the mid-level are $5 mil now it can go down to $4 mil... this is huge, it is a 20% drop off.

The mid level doesn't just randomly go down lol.....it is based on the average NBA salary.

If it was likely to be a minimal change only, there would have been no potential of a lockout.

You act as though the lockout talk is so hugely relevant, if there was a likelihood of a lockout it would be more talked about by now. While the possibility of a lockout is obviously there, I don't think it is nearly as likely as you are making it seem.

Dude, you keep saying the current contracts will be rolled back as well :lol:

It is an educated guess, however the NBA won't just cut the cap down (the only way that starting salaries are affected) hugely, and then not adjust current contracts as well. The same thing happened in the NHL, and if the NBA goes to a hard cap, you can be assured current salaries will be rolled back in order to help teams comply with the new cap. For example LA's cap is almost 100M, the NBA won't institute a hard cap and then not roll back their salaries lol.... in all likelihood the NBA's CBA will be slightly adjusted (1 year knocked off contracts like RD said), or something like that.... Melo isn't going to be missing on as much money as you think, if he was then his agent would have made a play by now to ensure he would be inked to a long term deal, they wouldn't be [expletive]ing around.

if this was the case, all the NBA experts with NBA knowledge (you know, "sources") like Stein, Wojnarowski, Bucher, Ford, Broussard would have broken the news. These guys are not New York Post reporters, they're valid NBA sources... what they report usually turn out real. They get paid handsomely for what they do... and you're telling me you know more than these guys? It's their profession fo god sake. Like always, you're the only "expert" who did. You're the only expert who says current contracts will be rolled back as well.

Like just about everything I say on this forum, it is a matter of opinion. Unless I am posting stats it probably is opinion, it isn't my fault you take my posts to be a matter of fact lol. I don't think my opinion is better than any 'expert', I am just posting my thoughts on the issue. It just so happens my thoughts are polar opposite to yours, the only difference is that I think yours are based on hope of getting value in a deal, rather than reality.

Real Deal also posted twice directly responding to your posts about your theories. Dude you keep making your own rules and fantasies of what's going on... is this a subconscious impact of losing a franchise player like Chris Bosh for draft picks having on a fan's brain? Thanks for the warning, I will make sure I will stay sane when Nuggets lose Melo.

I'm not making rules or fantasies I am posting possibilities and what I feel is most likely, Real Deal posted facts (which is nice, take notes son) so there was nothing to respond to. NBA salaries are dependent on the current NBA salary cap, so they won't go down unless the cap does, and there has been no indication from the league (people that actually matter, not 'experts' who are making educated guesses) that the CBA is going to get overhauled.

Dude, I don't know WTF you're talking about... you're the ONLY guy saying B when everyone's been saying A about the whole situation.

If all current contracts are rolled back, this would have been discussed already, and there would have been no need for Melo to desire the extension and there'd have been no talk of the difference between current contracts and ones that are signed in the next CBA. Dude pls shut up... it's a headache to talk and repeat myself over and over

Yeah, Melo's only main endorsement is Nike Jordan brand which probably gives him $12-13 mil per year. In comparison, LeBron nets $28 mil per...

Mr. James, while playing for the once-lowly Cleveland Cavaliers, has racked up deals in most key categories that dabble in sports, signing with brands such as Nike, McDonald's, State Farm and Coca-Cola. Sports Illustrated estimates his annual haul from such deals at $28 million.

http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/sports-games-outdoor-recreation/14558178-1.html

LeBron got McD, Coke, Nike, Bubblicious, etc... so Melo only got Jordan Brand? See the $15-18 mil per year difference in endorsement between LeBron and Melo? When your major income depends on NBA salary like Melo, you can't afford to say "I can take $18-24 mil less...." LeBron can say that since he's got so many other freakin endorsements that generate incomes... but not a starlet like Melo.

Bosh took less money, and you don't think Melo can lol... you are just backpedaling, I could care less what everyone else is saying I form my own opinions, unlike you I suppose. I am not saying Melo makes as many endorsements and [expletive] as LBJ, I am saying he makes enough to not have to worry about money as much as a Drew Gooden in the league.

Again, I am not saying it is a fact that the contracts will be rolled back. I am saying the NBA won't institute a hard cap and then not roll back contracts, if they institute a hard cap they have to allow teams a fair opportunity to comply with the rules. Worst case Melo signs a new contract for 4 years (if they knock a year off) and expires when he is 31 and can still sign a huge deal again anyways. You are delusional if you think the Nuggets have all sorts of 'cards' as you put it, they are in almost the same position the Raptors were, the only difference is they are trying to address it now rather than get [expletive]ed over like we did. If they get the Knicks deal, or the Nets 'deal' you think has been offered, which I doubt, then you should consider yourself extremely lucky.