Chael Sonnen Fails Drug Test After UFC 117?

According to various reports, Chael Sonnen who gave middleweight champion Anderson Silva all he could handle in UFC 117, failed a drug test after the fight.

According to Sherdog.com, Sonnen was informed by the California State Athletic Commission of the results of the test on Friday. According to the report, 'drugs of abuse' were ruled out, meaning that there was likely a performance-enhancing substance in Sonnen's system.

A positive test could see Sonnen suspended for up to a year, and would likely see the end to his rematch with Silva which was reportedly scheduled early next year.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=334451

If he did in fact fail a test for PED's, it looks like his rematch with Silva will definitely be off. I still haven't gotten around to watching their frist fight, so I can't comment on anything in regards to that, but this is definitely a pretty big blow to the UFC's 185 pound division. Silva was the UFC's worst draw when it comes to their champions, and with all of the trash talking that Sonnen did prior to the fight, and his performance in the fight itself, there was a pretty big buzz around their scheduled rematch in Feburary. Now that looks like it won't be happening.

I wonder what the Dana White and Joe Silva are going to do if Sonnen does get suspended. Will they scrap the Belfort-Okami fight and just give Belfort the next shot at Silva? Will they keep that fight and give the winner the next crack at Silva? Or will they use Silva at 205 or something and simply wait until Sonnen is eligible to fight again?

Personally, I think Belfort should get the next shot at Silva. He kind of got shafted after the Franklin fight as Silva was injured and their title fight was put off, and then when Silva finally recovered, Belfort suffered an injury and his shot was given to Damian Maia instead. I'd love to see that fight go down.

• Owner

Said it once and I'll say it again: I don't think Sonnen did THAT much against Silva. He had him down on the mat quite a bit, but he never really did anything.

So, if beating Silva means you just "contain" him, or whatever...well, Sonnen was pretty close. Otherwise, Silva was just taking weak punches to his chest and ribs most of the time he was on the mat, just sitting there waiting for Sonnen's arm. And that's exactly what happened.

I think a lot of analysts blew it up, knowing there would be a rematch, making it sound like Sonnen was pounding Silva's face in for most of the fight.

Will they scrap the Belfort-Okami fight and just give Belfort the next shot at Silva?

Looks like this is exactly what they will do. Belfort is no longer fighting Okami and will isntead get the next shot at Silva.

Nate Marquardt will replace Vitor and fight Okami.