Ichiro Suzuki sets 200-hit milestone

Cobb

Career .376 OBP, .430 SLG, that's good but not 'amazing' by any standards. I know he gets a lot hits and it is very impressive but overall he's not even a better hitter than Derek Jeter. The thing about Ichiro yeah he gets a lot of hits, but he doesn't draw many walks. Even Adam Dunn a guy with a .251 AVG has a higher OBP.

Career .376 OBP, .430 SLG, that's good but not 'amazing' by any standards. I know he gets a lot hits and it is very impressive but overall he's not even a better hitter than Derek Jeter. The thing about Ichiro yeah he gets a lot of hits, but he doesn't draw many walks. Even Adam Dunn a guy with a .251 AVG has a higher OBP.

Career .331 BA. And who the [expletive] cares about slugging percentage for a lead off batter? He puts the ball and play, and he's one of the fastest guys in baseball.

Saying he is overrated is pure insanity, sorry Fish. In the Major Leagues he is averaging 1.41 hits per game. If that is averaged out over the amount of games that Pete Rose played, Ichiro would have 5,129 hits. Of course, Ichiro will never play that many games, since he came to the Majors at age 28, and Pete Rose made his debut at age 22. I see where you are coming from though, and I too am more of an OPS guy, but you just can't ignore an insane hit total like this. He has more hits per game than Rose and Cobb (Ty Cobb, not Braves Fan Cobb).

I just don't get how someone can think he is over-rated. No one puts him in the same category as the power hitters of our generation like Pujols, A-Rod, ect. He is the only player in MLB history to have 200+ hits for 10 straight seasons. Again, he is the only person to do that in 141 years of the MLB being around. If he played here instead of Japan for the eight years he spent there, there is no doubt that he would probably have at least 15-16 straight seasons of 200+ hits.

Derek Jeter is a great player, but he's not a better hitter than Ichiro.

I still don't think one can overlook the amount of hits he has though. I understand his OBP isn't great, but still, he's going to get 3,000 hits.

Look I don't think I'm over looking the fact that he's amazing at hitting singles, I'm more looking at his flaws rather than what he's good at. 40-50 walks for a lead off man? That's weak.

And if you asked me who was the best all around OF of the previous decade I'd say Carlos Beltran without hesitation.

Edited by Fish7718

I agree that OBP is more important than AVG, but he is the rare case when an exception can be made. And it's not like he has a horrible career OBP anyway. Better than most active MLB leadoff men (all but 2 or 3).

200 hits every season and 1.41 hits per game over a 10 year span is ridiculous, bottom line.

Edited by Phightins