UFC 119: Mir vs. Cro Cop

Anybody else watching?

Not a huge card name wise, but there are some interesting matchups. A nice rematch from the TUF 4 Finale, a returning Sean Sherk vs. an undefeated Evan Dunham and a contenders match at 205 between Lil Nog and Ryan Bader

For those of you who don't know the card it is:

Frank Mir vs. Mirko Cro Cop

Antonio Rogerio Nogueria vs. Ryan Bader

Chris Lytle vs. Matt Serra

Sean Sherk vs. Evan Dunham

Melvin Guillard vs. Jeremy Stephens

The first fight just finished as Guillard won a split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27).

• Owner

Honestly, I was never going to watch this card. For one, unless Brock is beating Mir's face in, I won't pay the money to watch Mir fight. I absolutely HATE him.

And I think Mir has a better chance against Cro Cop, although I'm not going to say I think he'll win it (is the fight even on yet?).

As for the other guys...I'm not a UFC fan as much as I am an NBA fan, maybe even NFL...so my knowledge isn't up to par with yours, and I'm usually just interested in the big-name fights. I find out more about guys like Sonnen once I hear he's fighting someone like Silva.

I didn't decide to buy this card either. Usually I will buy them, but with this card having no title fights or any fights that have any sort of title implications, other than Bader/Lil Nog, I'm just watching a stream online. The Bader/Nog fight is what I really wanted to watch, though, and the first round was a very good round. Ryan Bader (won Season 8 of TUF with Mir/Big Nog as coaches) and Jon Jones are the future of the 205 division. Both of them are still relatively green, but you can just see the superstar potential in both of them, although I think Jones will clearly be a better fighter and if them fight, Jones will win fairly easily.

He looks like he will give Lil Nog his first loss in his last 7 fights as well. I think he is up 2-0 right now, but who knows with the judging that has happened so far (the first two fights were terrible decisions).

I'm also a huge Cro Cop fan and even then I think he will easily lose to Mir, I can't help but watch any card with him on it. All I want to see is one more Left Head Kick KO and I'll be happy.

But yeah, I didn't expect much from this thread as I know that there are very few MMA fans on here and with this card having no real big names on it, I almost didn't even bother making the thread.

EDIT: After thinking about it, I would probably give the fight to Nogueria. Outside of two punches in the first round, Bader never really did any damage to Lil Nog. Lil Nog outstruck him on the feet, dealt more damage and was the one pushing the pace. He also stuffed about 5 of Bader's shots in the third round as well. Outside of some heavy GnP in the first (about 4 punches) all Bader really did was take Nog down and hold him there. He never really did much after the takedowns. I still stand by what I said about his potential, though.

Oh yeah, Bader won a UD 30-27, which was pretty BS if you ask me. I can understand why he won, but there was no way in hell that he won the 3rd round.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Man, that was one of the worst fights I've ever seen. Cro Cop throws two kicks the entire fight, none of which were to the head, doesn't throw one left straight or hook, basically doesn't throw anything at all. Mir does nothing but move around and perform a Wall-n-Stall that would put Randy Couture to shame for 2 and a half rounds.

Then he throws a knee and knocks Cro Cop out cold. Literally the only strike thrown with the intent to do damage is the one that ends the fight. I've never got up and stopped watching a fight before, but I was literally just about to close my stream and leave when Mir threw that knee.

Cro Cop needs to retire. He just hasn't looked like he even cares about fighting since Gabriel Gonzaga kicked his head off back in 06 or whenever it was. The guy is an absolute shell of himself. It is sickening watching him now when thinking about how much of a beast he was in his prime.

• Owner

He didn't even kick a hole in Mir's leg? Mannn...that's what I was hoping for.

:rolleyes:

I figured it would be a pathetic fight, but maybe Cro Cop would kick Mir to death. Oh well...major disappointment there.

Mir probably thinks he's ready for a Carwin rematch, I'm sure, and still wants to kill Brock (lol).

Thanks for the fight comments. :)