Jay Triano: "Chris Bosh Was Not A Leader"

“When you talk about Chris being the leader in the locker room,” Triano told a Toronto radio station, “I think it’s the one thing that he wasn’t for us."

“He did a great job of getting 24 points and 10, 11 rebounds on a regular basis, but Chris did not really take the leadership role into the locker room. He’s not a vocal person; he’s not a guy who really did that.”

“I think in the years that he’s been here,” Triano said, “he’s almost deferred to different people.

“Everybody kind of waited for him to take the reins last year and it could’ve been part of the issues we had.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2010/09/will-chris-bosh-be-a-silent-partner.html

To be honest, I basically agree with Triano's comments as I don't think Bosh was exactly the leader you would want from your franchise guy (then again, Bosh isn't the kind of player you would want from your franchise guy) so I don't disagree with the thought process. I think it was pretty obvious that Jack was the leader of the team last season, both on and off the court. It is just in Jack's personality to take control and lead, while Bosh isn't like that. There is no problem with that. Kevin Garnett isn't any less of a sure fire HOF'er because he wasn't an amazing leader, just like Bosh isn't any less of a great player.

But is there really a need for this to come out now? I don't think that Triano was taking a shot at Bosh like Colangelo did earlier in the summer, but it is to the point where the Raptors need to just let things go and focus on the upcoming season. Just let it go already. Even though I don't think there is exactly anything wrong with the statement itself, it just makes the Raptors look like they are still obsessing over Bosh's departure and makes them look bad.

I don't think the issues last season had much to do with whether Bosh could be a vocal leader or not. I'm sure Jarret did a fine job with that role.

On second thought, it may have been an issue though in the sense that the team struggled to find it's true leader. Whether it would be Bosh himself, or Hedo, or Calderon. When they found out the best man for that role was a bench player, that probably created some balance issues on the team (along with the tangible issues like the lack of both perimeter and interior defense).

But is there really a need for this to come out now?

He was probably just answering a question about it. I don't think we need to assume anything more than that.

Cool.

It still doesn't change the fact that it makes the Raptors seem like they are obsessed with him.

So answering a question makes him obsessed?

I wouldn't be worried either way. Reflecting on the past isn't a bad thing. Sooner or later, the Raptors will get another Chris Bosh or Vince Carter caliber player. Hopefully the third time around, they'll learn from their mistakes.

So answering a question makes him obsessed?

I wouldn't be worried either way. Reflecting on the past isn't a bad thing. Sooner or later, the Raptors will get another Chris Bosh or Vince Carter caliber player. Hopefully the third time around, they'll learn from their mistakes.

By drafting a winner?

:lol:

I like what we have in place now, if we get a franchise guy this draft (TANK) that player will have a better supporting cast than the past 2 franchise players we've had. Demar, Davis, Bargnani, Amir, I really like the supporting casts we have in place, if we get a stud in this draft. Over achievement is just my biggest fear this year, hopefully the analysts are right and we hit around 22-25 wins.

By drafting a winner?

By actually building a good team around their franchise player, like a better second option than TJ Ford or Antonio Davis.

But more importantly, they need to create a better organization from within. They need better coaching and better staff to make better use of their talent.

If you guys can get a Brandon Knight, Harrison Barnes or Kyrie Irving you guys will be ok. Then you guys will have a young core that you can build around for a while. Don't know much about Irving outside of basketball but Barnes and Knight are 2 great dudes and are mature enough to handle living outside of the US for the first time and playing ball for you guys because believe it or not, not all guys that age are ready to relocate to a different country.