ALDS Discussion: New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins

Phightins

How many rings do we win without Mariano Rivera?

Closer is the most overrated position in baseball. For all you know, you might have won the 2001 and 2003 World Series as well as the 2004 ALCS without Rivera blowing saves in those series as well. Jeter is much more valuable to the team over the past 15 years.

Closer is the most overrated position in baseball. For all you know, you might have won the 2001 and 2003 World Series as well as the 2004 ALCS without Rivera blowing saves in those series as well. Jeter is much more valuable to the team over the past 15 years.

Your second sentence is part of my argument to your first one. As I said in our conversation, out of the eight postseason teams last year, seven's closers tripped up at one point or another. The one team's that didn't ended up winning it all.

Also, as a by the way, I don't believe Rivera had a blown save in the '03 World Series. Maybe I'm wrong, though, I didn't start following baseball until the year after.

Your second sentence is part of my argument to your first one. As I said in our conversation, out of the eight postseason teams last year, seven's closers tripped up at one point or another. The one team's that didn't ended up winning it all.

Also, as a by the way, I don't believe Rivera had a blown save in the '03 World Series. Maybe I'm wrong, though, I didn't start following baseball until the year after.

i'm not sure if it was a blown save or not, but i'm pretty sure he had at least a loss.

has there been a more valuable player in baseball for the past 15 years or so than Mariano Rivera?

I don't whats worse, the fact you have to announce him as "the GOAT" every time you mention him (like everyone doesn't know that already) or the fact you just asked that. A guy that pitches a max 2 innings every 2-4 days can never be more valuable than a guy like A-Rod or Jeter. A-rod def the most valuable player of the past 15 years, no question.

• Like 1