Fire Department Lets House Burn Down

So, you should just disobey the law?

People should worry about their family before another family. If they weren't at risk of losing their jobs, they would have done it, but they could have lost their job. They need to worry about their own family first.

what law states that one can not put out a fire? these firefighters would not have been fired either. firefighters are hard to come by. if they got fired(har har), the LAFD would welcome them with open arms to help them out.

Haha, this thread is hilarious.

States don't have fire departments, cities do. This house was not in the city boundaries. So the city said they would have to pay $75 for the service of the firefighters. Is it right? No, but it's the law.

Once again, you would be risking your job. You can say they wouldn't have been fired all you want, but there is still that risk, and at the minimum they would be fined for breaking the law. It's easy to say "do the right thing" unless you are in that situation and what you do will affect you and YOUR FAMILY. Selfish my [expletive]. These guys are thinking about their families, what is so selfish about that?

It is a stupid law to have a $75 fee, but it is the law, and the guy didn't pay it. That's how it goes. Is it right? No, it's horrible. I think something should be done about this law, but saying the firefighters are to blame for this and that they are pathetic is just plain stupid. What is pathetic is some of you here calling the firefighters out for just following orders and looking out for themselves and THEIR FAMILIES. Everyone here would put their own family over another.

Edited by platoon793

Tragic event and bad decision to not put it out, but the firefighters aren't to blame. You need to blame the source of the issue, which in the first place is what has the firefighters tied on a leash helpless to do anything without the consequence of losing their job holding them back.

There shouldn't be a fee to begin with. Protection should be free no matter what, for what I hope are obvious reasons. Whoever made this idea for the fee and whoever was involved in putting it into place should be blamed for not seeing this through, ultimately leading to this event.

• Like 1

Tragic event and bad decision to not put it out, but the firefighters aren't to blame. You need to blame the source of the issue, which in the first place is what has the firefighters tied on a leash helpless to do anything without the consequence of losing their job holding them back.

There shouldn't be a fee to begin with. Protection should be free no matter what, for what I hope are obvious reasons. Whoever made this idea for the fee and whoever was involved in putting it into place should be blamed for not seeing this through, ultimately leading to this event.

Finally, someone else not blaming the firefighters.

lol at those of you defending a home not being protected over $75. truly pathetic.

Then you have nobody to "lol" at, because nobody is arguing that from what I can tell. I'm sure everyone here can agree that the house and its pets should have been saved. We're just directing the blame elsewhere. The law is what made the firefighters not do what's right.

Then you have nobody to "lol" at, because nobody is arguing that from what I can tell. I'm sure everyone here can agree that the house and its pets should have been saved. We're just directing the blame elsewhere. The law is what made the firefighters not do what's right.

Exactly. Everyone has said that the idea of paying the $75 is pretty dumb, but the firefighters are not to blame. They need to put their families best interests first, and potentially losing their job is not doing that. Following order is putting your own family first.

Question, would we see things like this if Fire Departments weren't a state monopoly and were privatized and used in a free market where there's actually competition?

Edited by Flash

• Owner

Funny that I have people poking inside of my brain, able to drain out my thoughts and say what I would do in a situation like this.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yG2HbYQQYOw/RooIvwTesjI/AAAAAAAAARw/d8GfjV9coH8/s400/!0_2007_0702_Coffeyville-KS-Flood02.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_blMH8OhgwZQ/RpLm6GnP3WI/AAAAAAAAAFE/Z9jlECVO4Lk/s400/Coffeyville+Flood+June+30+2007+147.jpg

http://www.eham.net/data/articles/17220/KC8VWM_Coffeville1.jpg

You can't even see half of those houses in those pictures, water clear over the roofs.

That's my city, in 2007. Those people lost their homes due to the oil in the water, ruined 40% of our city. Every home and building had to be bulldozed, and one of those homes was my grandmother's place.

I knew a LOT of people that lost their homes that day, and spent months trying to recover. My uncle lived in my garage for over two months, too embarrassed to sleep in the house and too desperate to live on the streets, losing his job AND his house because both were destroyed by the flood. One of my good friends watched their dog drown, from the tree they were in, while waiting to be rescued. Another uncle of mine was selling his FEMA supplies (soap, and other things) so he could buy food because he also lost his job. I volunteered to help pass out supplies for FEMA, and to log names of those in need of support and needing to contact their families, and it was a sad, depressing MESS, especially when a kid walks up asking if we had shelters for missing/found dogs and cats.

Animals and homes, memories and money...all lost. Same thing with this fire, and what it did to the family...they lost their home, four pets, memories and will be spending money to climb out of the hole they are in.

So, no, don't tell me I wouldn't save that home. You have absolutely no reason to speak for me. After the unfortunate events I've been through that go far beyond a flood, I make sure people around me are in good shape before I think about myself.

Well, no one is going into your mind, but rather commenting on Fish's and lrk's comments.

Yes, it's sad what happened to your city, and it's great that you helped out, but other than you helping out that doesn't really relate much to this story.

This story involves people potentially losing their jobsd for trying to save someones home when those people took a certain risk. So, for you to compare your story to this is not accurate whatsoever.

• Owner

Well, no one is going into your mind, but rather commenting on Fish's and lrk's comments.

Yes, it's sad what happened to your city, and it's great that you helped out, but other than you helping out that doesn't really relate much to this story.

This story involves people potentially losing their jobsd for trying to save someones home when those people took a certain risk. So, for you to compare your story to this is not accurate whatsoever.

You certainly missed the point of the post...had nothing to do with me helping, more about the experience.

It relates to it because I had both family and friends, and people I know, who lost their homes and struggled to recover from it. I doubt anyone else in this topic (maybe one other, but that's unlikely) has felt something like that, so I don't expect you to know just how bad it can be for a person going through it.

You can say you wouldn't help, but I would...and I didn't even have to think about it. If that's not being the normal person, I guess I don't want to fall into that category of people, simple as that.

First of all, why are we assuming all of these firefighters have families:? Second of all, just like B, don't tell me what the [expletive] I would do. IT'S A [expletive]ING JOB VS SAVING A HOME, easy [expletive]ing call.

Haha fine, save the house, possibly get fired, move elsewhere, if you have family, then put your own family in a very tough situation, and find another job. Great and easy call indeed. Family or not you would be putting yourself into a tough situation, and the first person I think about is me. Call me selfish, a prick, whatever. Don't care. I'm not going to risk my job over someone who "forgot" to pay the fee. If they made exceptions then no one would pay the fee, which obviously isn't what the city wants.

And Lkr once again, there is still that possibility they could be fired or fined or something. And I'm sure you would love to take that risk, and if fired, move to another city and look for a job. What if they don't hire you? What would you do then?

Real Deal, I'm sure most people can't relate as well as you could to those people. If you would save the house, then great for you.

Most people would not however save that house, and it's hard to say you 100% would unless you were in that situation. It's always easy to say you will do something until you are actually put into that situation.

I still don't see why most people here are attacking the firefighters and not the actual law. These people have a job where their life is on the line a good amount of the time, and I find it pathetic you guys are sitting on your computers badmouthing them. I'm not saying they are gods and amazing people or anything, but calling them pathetic is well, pathetic.

Edited by platoon793
  • Like 1

• Owner

platoon, do you know how few firefighters there are? every city would LOVE to have more. its not like they could fire this squad and replace them without ease.

Very true...and it's said that the big cities have a lack of firefighters, yet my city of 13k is lacking them, and so is the city 20 miles from me, and one 45 miles the opposite direction (I know this because I have a friend who is a firefighter).