Advice on getting a job

Cobb

I know when I tried last summer most places I went into told me to go online and apply, which I did and heard NOTHING back from. With that said, what's the best way to go about getting one? I know most people on here are older and have jobs so I figured you guys would know a lot more about getting one.

You have to make yourself appealing, make up a nice resume (even ask your Mom or Dad to), try and get it to the manager (or a higher up) personally, be approachable, don't dress like a bum when handing in a resume/application or for your interview. Make sure you have good references as well.

People mostly aren't hiring right now, and the ones that are, are looking at tons of kids just like you, so it's important you be personable and make them remember you when you applied or during your interview.

I worked at a pizza joint, a typical part time job, and I can tell you now the dummies who came in looking like bums or dopes, their resumes went right into the recycle. The people who talked to the boss, made a good impression, followed up, they were the first ones called.

Theres no harm dropping a resume off more than once.

You only applied online? that there is your problem.

Edited by travesy3

You've never had any sort of volunteer experience? There is a lot of stuff you can put on there that aren't salaried jobs. Talk to your parents, they should be able to help you put together a passable resume that looks good, my Mom set mine up when I was in 9th grade and now I just edit it when needed.

Don't apply online, I don't know anyone personally that has ever gotten hired that way.

Edited by travesy3

Have a good resume, even if you don't have any past job experience. If possible, get approval from your dad to put on the resume you helped him at work with general stuff (like general assistance/cleanup/etc.). Put down all your volunteer/club experience. Basically, spruce and jazz it up as much as possible. When writing down the hours you can work, put down ALL available hours. Don't cater to your desires on this part of the application, just list every single hour your are available. In other words, don't make any weekend hours unavailable because you want some free time as this may eliminate you before you step in the door for an interview.

Secondly, as travesy said, hand in your application personally to the manager in charge. Act enthusiastic, dress nicely and makes sure you let him/her know that you're very interested in the position.

Lastly, apply to all major supermarkets/department stores. They are always hiring high schoolers, and will be flexible with your hours. Pizza places also often hire high school students. CVS/Walgreens and those drug stores are great places to work as well (I worked at a CVS in high school and it was great). Basically, apply EVERYWHERE. Even if you are waiting on call-backs, don't put all your eggs in that one basket.

Apply online, call everyday and bug them. They will eventually give you an interview and from there you are pretty much in.

I guess I should've done a better job when I did apply online by calling back. Too bad I never thought of that at the time though.

If you have done a volunteer work before, try this:

I'm willing to work without pay for the duration of trial (specify though how long: one week... two weeks... or even one month if you're willing to do that, some do if it means they get their dream job)... most of the time, it rarely fails to give you at least an interview. They're able to evaluate you without costing money.

If it gets you in, just treat those without pay work hours as volunteer work... :)

The real good employers will still pay you anyway during those trials but the most important thing is they got to see your keen desire on that job... and find out you really want the job by offering working for free. They usually give it to the people who want it most.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

Getting a job in high school is hard....college students are competing with you. You are best off working at Bestbuy or Target or something. Even that is a pain in the [expletive], a high school student really won't have experience compared to others.

• 4 months later...

Went to a couple of places and was told to apply online. I applied online to those places and now plan on "checking up" on my application. I'm not exactly sure what that means. I understand that involves talking to the manager/human resource person, but I'm not exactly sure what I'd say to them other them introducing myself. Anyone care to explain?

Just say...Hi my name is (your name) I applied online for a (postion applied for) and was wondering if you had gotten the chance to look over my application? Then see what he/she says and move forward.

Its nothing to serious its mainly showing them that you are still interested for the position.

• Like 1

Just say...Hi my name is (your name) I applied online for a (postion applied for) and was wondering if you had gotten the chance to look over my application? Then see what he/she says and move forward.

Its nothing to serious its mainly showing them that you are still interested for the position.

Alright, and what if he says he hasn't had a chance?

Alright, and what if he says he hasn't had a chance?

Well in that case tell him if the position is still open and if he gets some free time to please look over your application. And let him know you will call back in a couple days, make sure you call back.