Bill Belichick's/Current Coach's Value

This doesn't just have to be a thread about Bill Belichick in particular, but he's thought of as the best coach, so I thought I'd use him for my question.

With teams like the 49er's and Cowboys struggling with all of the talent they had, I'd be curious as to what you would be willing to give up from your team to acquire him, or another very good coach in the league?

Is three first round picks too much? I'm not too sure if you can give up players in a trade for a coach, but if you can, which players and picks would you give up for him or another coach of your choice?

Obviously the coach has to currently be in the league for the purpose of this question, but I just want to see what people would be willing to give up for some certain coaches.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

A coach is worth a first rounder for sure, probably more. It's what separates a team like the Cowboys from a team like the Pats. The only exception to this is the Colts because they essentially have a player/coach in Peyton Manning.

I do believe coaching is much more important in football (not just pro football but college as well) than in baseball, basketball, or hockey...and it really is not close.

Most say football games are not won on Sundays, but during the week leading up to the game. I completely support that. Identifying and exploiting weaknesses of an opponent, and to deploy his own resources to exploit those weaknesses is the difference between a winner and a loser most of the time.

I remember one reporter asked Steve Spurrier when he was coaching the Skins if he saw anything in upcoming opponent's defenses that he thought he could exploit. He went on to say "No we don't really pay too much attention to what they're doing, we just worry about what we're doing..." I knew from that point that we were not going to be successful under him.

• Like 1

I don't think you can trade anything for a coach, the last time it was done for Jon Gruden, but I think the NFL implemented some rule (what a surprise) not allowing it.

But I would never mortgage away that amount of picks for Belichick, or any coach for that matter. You can find very good coordinators or coaches any where.

I don't think you can trade anything for a coach, the last time it was done for Jon Gruden, but I think the NFL implemented some rule (what a surprise) not allowing it.

But I would never mortgage away that amount of picks for Belichick, or any coach for that matter. You can find very good coordinators or coaches any where.

I'm pretty damn sure a team like the 49er's or Cowboys who have a lot of talent would be willing to part with two+ 1st rounders and two+ second rounders to get a coach that can get their team over the hump.

A team like the Cowboys is already stacked and doesn't need many picks right now, so I think if they could make trade, they would.

I'm pretty damn sure a team like the 49er's or Cowboys who have a lot of talent would be willing to part with two+ 1st rounders and two+ second rounders to get a coach that can get their team over the hump.

A team like the Cowboys is already stacked and doesn't need many picks right now, so I think if they could make trade, they would.

I'd be pissed if we parted with two high picks for a coach.

I'd be pissed if we parted with two high picks for a coach.

So, you'd rather keep two high draft picks along with Wade Phillips and Jason Garret for years to come while your players age and go into free-agency?

The Cowboys are probably the most talented team in the NFC, so I don't see why they wouldn't give up two high picks to get a much better chance of winning the Super Bowl.

I mean, the Cowboys gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 6th round pick for Roy Williams.

So, would you rather watch a talented team [expletive] the bed year after year while coveting picks that may never amount to nothing(or they could), or take the next step that could get you much closer to winning the Super Bowl, or actually winning it? I'm sure most teams would give up multiple 1st rounders just for chance to play in the Super Bowl. I'm not saying a great coach will get you there, but the chances greatly increase.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

So, you'd rather keep two high draft picks along with Wade Phillips and Jason Garret for years to come while your players age and go into free-agency?

The Cowboys are probably the most talented team in the NFC, so I don't see why they wouldn't give up two high picks to get a much better chance of winning the Super Bowl.

I mean, the Cowboys gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 6th round pick for Roy Williams.

So, would you rather watch a talented team [expletive] the bed year after year while coveting picks that may never amount to nothing(or they could), or take the next step that could get you much closer to winning the Super Bowl, or actually winning it? I'm sure most teams would give up multiple 1st rounders just for chance to play in the Super Bowl. I'm not saying a great coach will get you there, but the chances greatly increase.

First of all, there's no guarantee that bringing in another coach would make this team better. It is just hopeful. The Cowboys may no appear to have holes, but they an aging line and a secondary that is one injury away from the worst secondary in football. I'd rather you draft picks on that.

First of all, there's no guarantee that bringing in another coach would make this team better. It is just hopeful. The Cowboys may no appear to have holes, but they an aging line and a secondary that is one injury away from the worst secondary in football. I'd rather you draft picks on that.

I understand that, but it is tough to be a contender year in and year out in today's NFL.

Would winning a Super Bowl be worth two 1st round picks to you? It sure as hell would be to me. I know it's not a guarentee a coach will get you over the hump, but sometimes you just need to go for it, and I don't think you would like to sit here and five years saying, "Damn, if only we had gotten such and such for a coach when we had a talented team. Well, I'll just wait five more years for my team to be competitive". Sometimes you have to go for it.