NBA's greatest coach

Real Deal

Phil Jackson

Two three-peats with the Bulls. One three-peat and potentially another one with the Lakers. Anytime you got enough Championship rings to fit into every finger, you are definitely great. The Zen Master is just a legendary coach.

phil jackson for sure, i personally like riley more, but phil's 48-0 after winnin game 1 in the playoffs/finals makes me [expletive] myself lol..THATS gangsta

most teams are comfortable after 3-0 up, phil chills after the first game

Phil Jackson most rings, has crazy records in the playoffs, and can turn Ron Artest into a model citizen. gets my vote for sure.

lol at the ron comment, im guessin u missed his latest appearance on jimmy kimmel? haha hes awesome

I would have to give Phil Jackson the nod as he won it with two teams that were slightly different. Chicago won it without a low post offensive threat. The LA teams that won it were stacked like the Boston teams.

Jackson is a master motivator and his players buy into him constantly challenging them. When Jackson walked away from the Lakers, he had lost the ear of Kobe. When Kobe and the Lakers spiraled without him, they openly welcomed him back.

Love him or hate him, Red was an absolutely great GM first, with coaching being secondary on his resume. He could have easily stayed on longer as a head coach to win more titles, but decided to step down as the coach.

As a GM, he made brilliant moves in drafting Larry Bird and fleecing Golden State that netted Robert Parrish and Kevin McHale. He was also very progressive in breaking the color barrier for head coaches when he promoted Bill Russell to player / coach. If Len Bias and Reggie Lewis had lived to have long productive careers, Red's legacy would have run through the 90's.

lol

but yeah, Phil Jackson. He can turn selfish Kobe into team conceptual Kobe. He can take troubled Artest and make him humane(selling his championship ring to donate the money, even though Artest could just take his own money and give it away). He teaches one of the best offensive schemes. And yes, he has more rings than he has fingers.

Pat Riley.

In my opinion a case can be made for Phil Jackson, Red Auerback and Greg Popovich though.

However I would personally pick Pat Riley. I know that Jackson and Auerbach won more rings then him, and that's why people are usually obsessed with these two coaches, but the fact is that Jax and Red coached way better teams than Riley or Pop overall. The Celtics were by far the more stacked team in the 60's and Phil coached the best player in the league three times (first Jordan, then Shaq and now Kobe). I would say that it helps to win rings... Don't get me wrong they are great coaches nonetheless and I definitely agree that a case can be made for them.

But I pick Riley because Pat was able to be succesful with COMPLETELY different teams. First he was the coach of the most offensive team in the league (arguably in the history of the league) the showtime Lakers. As the Lakers head coach he made the Finals 6 times and won four rings in 9 years.

Then Pat arrived in New York and, as he didn't have the same offensive talent as he had in LA, he focused on defense this time and the Knicks became the best defense in the league. Thanks to him the team became immediately better (the year before they had won 39 games and lost in the first round against the Bulls, 3-0), not only they won more than 50 games for the first time in five years but they almost beat the mighty Bulls in the ECF. It's one of the two times in the 90's that the Jordan's Bulls had to play 7 games to win a series since they started to win in 1991 (the other was in the 98 ECF against the Pacers). It has to be considered that it was a HUGE surprise at the time to see the Knicks giving that much trouble to Chicago, everyone was expecting the Bulls to destroy New York in 5 games at best.

The next year they were even better and won 60 games for the first time since 1970 ! And they went to the ECF for the first time since the Bernard King days.

The next year they made the Finals, for the first time since 73.

Pat Riley did not win a ring with that team but he had a huge impact on them nonetheless, this thanks to his ability to adapt to a team that was completely different from the team that he coached and had success with before. It is more than admirable. It is important to precise that he did all this with only one true NBA star, Patrick Ewing. Pat Riley really showed us how great a coach he was.

Then Riley arrived in Miami and became for the first time coach and GM. And he literally made this franchise. Before his arrival this team was nothing. Before Riley they had only made the playoffs twice and never passed the first round. Thanks to Riley they got back in the playoffs rightaway and made the playoffs 6 years in a row. They also went to the ECF for the first time. And then Riley eventually led them to the only ring that they ever won.

And that is why I give the edge to Riley, cause he was able to have some success with different teams, teams that had all a TOTALLY different style of play. Riley can adapt to any kind of team, that is his main strenght. That is why that I hope that he will get back to coaching someday, truly a fantastic coach, and I have to say, my favorite coach of All Time.

This said I can understand why everyone here picked Phil Jackson and have nothing whatsoever against this choice. It is really hard to assert for sure that one particular coach is the greatest coach of all time anyhow.

• Like 2

Wow, I'm shocked that no one has said Red Auerbach. This man was the first great coach in the NBA, the patriach of the Celtics and the most respected coach ever. He has nine rings, crafted BIll Russell into the greatest winner in the game and the first successful player coach, but more importantly, Red mastered his players and taught them to play as a team, he disciplined them and made them buy into his system. Red is the reason that the Celtics are the greatest franchise in basketball history. It may be true that he doesn't have as many rings as Jackson, but looking at this historically, Red didn't coach the greatest and most dominant players ever. He did have Russell, who he only coached for 8 season, not his entire career. If Red had not retired until Russ did, he could possibly have more than Jackson.

• 1 month later...