NBA's greatest shooter

Real Deal

Reggie Miller

I may be a bit biased because of the fact that I'm a Pacers fan, but Miller is the obvious choice here. He was clutch, deadeye, and hit some of the most ridiculous shots that I've ever seen. Ray Allen is close, but he's still not hit the number that Reggie has, so I'm still giving the edge to Miller.

Ray Allen

For some strange reason people still think Ray hasn't had great playoff runs in his career...Then what exactly was the 2001 Eastern Finals? Did Allen not average 27 a game and shoot 55% on threes, including THIS game in a do-or-die Game 6? Did he not set an NBA Finals Record for threes made in a series in 2008? Did he not put LA away with a barrage of 2nd-half threes (7 total, including 4 in the span of 7 possessions) in Game 6? Or how about 2009 in Round 1 against Chicago? Did he not hit a game-winning 3 in Game 2, a game-tying 3 in Game 4 to send it to overtime, or a game-tying 3 in Game 6 to send it to triple overtime (a game he scored 51 points in, by the by)?

And I also hate the fact that Millers' career gets so glorified because of his series against the Knicks. It was great, they had a 30 for 30 on ESPN dedicated to it, but that seems to be the reason why people pick him over Ray. Allen was/is the better player, Miller's career just sticks out more because of his battles with the Knicks. Let's not forget, for all the great playoff performances he has had, Reggie went 2-10 in the fourth quarter of Game 7 against the Knicks in 94 and scored 12 points game 7 against Orlando in 95 or when he went 3-18 in game 6 against the Knicks in 99. Yet people never seem to acknowledge it.

Ray Allen has come up clutch in multiple situations both in the regular season and playoffs. He has the sweetest stroke in the history of this league, is going to catch Reggie in all time threes made, and is already the more efficient shooter out of the two.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Larry Bird

I agree that a case could be made for Miller, and he would probably get my vote if it was greatest 3 pts shooter, but for me there is no doubt that Bird is the best shooter ever. Larry is one of the only players to ever shoot at at least 50 % FG, 40 % 3 pts, and 90 % FT, in one season (I think that only him, Nash and Price did it).

And contrary to Nash and Price, Bird also did it in the playoffs which is even more fantastic. Well it's true that Price did it in the 88 playoffs though, but he only played 5 games... While the year Bird did it, in 86, he played 18 games and led the Celtics to the ring.

Also Bird's FG% in career was almost 50, 49.6% to be precised while Miller's was 47.1% and Ray's 45%. This despite the fact that Bird averaged more FGA in career. Now it's true that Ray and Reggie shot more from behind the three point line, but Larry shot more from mid range.

Honestly Bird's jump shot is the purest of the history of the game. He just had the perfect jump shot. Not only that but he's definitely the most clutch shooter ever, and a case can even been made for him as the most clutch player ever IMO. Magic Johnson said it many times "there is no one that I fear more than Larry Bird in the money time" (don't remember if it's his exact words lol, but that's what he said). For me it's arguable between Bird and Jordan, no player was more clutch than these two.

So for all these reasons, despite the fact that there have been a lot of great shooters (Miller, Allen, West, Price, Rice (one of the prettiest jump shots ever), Barry (Rick), Nash, Nowitzki, etc...) I definitely think that Bird is the greatest shooter of All Time.

• 1 month later...