Who was the most overrated player of the past decade?

Flash

You can't let the team downgrade the player. T-Mac belongs in the top ten. Top 15 in the very least.

As for most overrated? Not too sure. Perhaps Marcus Camby.

Where would you rank T-Mac among these players?

Shaq

Kobe

Duncan

Garnett

LeBron

Wade

Nash

Kidd

Iverson

Pierce

Dwight

Yao

Amare

Bosh

Melo

Chris Paul

Deron Williams

Ray Allen

Edited by Flash

McGrady was one of or if the best scorer in the league in the earlier decade, guess that was too long ago for you.

Oh I grew up watching him. I had T-Mac jersey's and his poster on my wall, that doesn't mean he can't be considered overrated.

Where would you rank T-Mac among these players?

Shaq

Kobe

Duncan

Garnett

LeBron

Wade

Nash

Kidd

Iverson

Pierce

Dwight

Yao

Amare

Bosh

Melo

Chris Paul

Deron Williams

Ray Allen

Somewhere in between

Kobe, Shaq, Nash, LeBron, Duncan, Dwight, Paul, Wade, Garnett

and

Deron, Ray, Melo, Amar'e, Iverson, Pierce, Bosh, Kidd, Yao

Arenas by a mile.

If we're gonna crown T-Mac as a great scorer that was killed by injuries then Arenas has to be in the same category. Arenas was just as good a scorer and has a higher career scoring average than T-Mac.

You'd rank him ahead of AI? Idk about that.

I agree. Iverson in his prime was just flat out disgusting. There has never been a player who played the game like he did at his size of 5'11"

I agree. Iverson in his prime was just flat out disgusting. There has never been a player who played the game like he did at his size of 5'11"

Agreed, Iverson as an individual player is probably top 20 all time, even top 15. However, my only knock on AI would be that his style of play and his mentality were really his downfall in terms of team success. They were never able to find the right cast to put around him aside from the 1 year they made the finals in a horrific Eastern Conference. He only won his division once IIRC and he proved that he could never really co-exist with another top talented player (Stackhouse, Melo, the Pistons guys) and that he couldn't accept coming off the bench.

T-Mac was always underrated IMO. His career was decimated by injury and his teams no-showing in the post-season, but people forget just how good he was when he was remotely healthy. He was NOT just a scorer, where he was every bit as versatile (albeit less efficient) as Kobe...he was the best passing wing I've seen, besides LeBron, since Pippen was with the Bulls. He was an exceptional ballhandler, good rebounder, could play great defense when he set his mind to it, and basically could do everything. From '02--'05 he was a better player than Durant is now, and some people are already calling that kid the best player in the league. People forget how good T-Mac once was.

BTW, T-Mac's career post-season averages: 28.5PPG, 6.9RPG, 6.2APG, 43.0% shooting

Anyway, I'm gonna go with Shawn Marion. He was always good at everything, but not great at a single thing (except maybe rebounding for a SF/undersized PF). He couldn't create his own shot, his defense was ridiculously overrated, and unless a great PG was setting him up he was a ghost offensively.

Agreed, Iverson as an individual player is probably top 20 all time, even top 15.

Haha, maybe top 15 of the decade, but not even close to top 15 all-time. In his prime he was grossly inefficient (shooting below 40% and turning the ball over 4+ times for an entire season was not uncommon), and really did nothing besides score and steal the ball. His passing ability was a little above average, but most of his assists came solely off him handling the rock 20 seconds in each shot clock. His man-to-man defense wasn't anything special, and his size at the SG spot did cause problems. His style of play also handcuffed many of his teams as he just couldn't play off-ball whatsoever (T-Mac refused to as well by the tail-end of his career, but in his prime he was great working off-ball).

As an individual player, a prime T-Mac blows AI out of the water.

If we're gonna crown T-Mac as a great scorer that was killed by injuries then Arenas has to be in the same category. Arenas was just as good a scorer and has a higher career scoring average than T-Mac.

Except T-Mac was an extremely skilled player, Arenas defines chucker. He doesn't play defense, his handle isn't anything special, he isn't a playmaker, and is a high volume-inefficient scorer.

He basically chucked himself into being recognized an all-star, he hasn't won anything and never will because he isn't a good player. He is a decent shooter with a chip on his shoulder that makes him think he is an all-star.

In regards to T-Mac, I'll be the first to call him a chucker and a pretty overrated scorer, but he is still one of the most talented players of the decade. The skillset he brought to the table is as good as you could ever ask for a wing, he just wasn't as good a shooter as he thought he was, too many jumpers.

If by overrated you mean your career got fuked over because of injuries, then yeah he was real overrated.

He is overrated. He never once made it past the second round and the one year he was injured and couldn’t play for the rockets the team managed to advance to the second round of the playoffs with out him. So what does that say about Tmac as a player?

He is overrated. He never once made it past the second round and the one year he was injured and couldn’t play for the rockets the team managed to advance to the second round of the playoffs with out him. So what does that say about Tmac as a player?

That says that the one year in his career where he had a good team, he happened to get injured.

The year before the Rockets made it to the semi's Brooks, Landry and Scola were all rookies, Yao was out, they had no Artest, no Lowry, and played a more difficult first round opponent in the Jazz. That 2007-2008 team still won 22 straight games (with Yao out for 10 of them), and T-Mac averaged 27/7/6 against that Jazz team but had minimal help. In the decisive game 6 he had 40pts and they still got blown out....very reminsicent of the year before where in game 7 he had 29pts/13ast/5reb and they still lost.

Let me put it to you this way...look at all the series' LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Pierce and AI have won. Tell me, with a straight face, that if they averaged 29/7/6 (T-Mac's career post season averages) in over half those series that they would have lost each one of them. The answer is no, they would have won those series'. The difference is they had the teammates and inferior opponents to match up with. T-Mac's teams were the underdog in every single playoff matchup except in 2007, where they got beat by a Jazz team that went to the WCF.