UFC, WEC to Merge in 2011

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White on Thursday announced that the WEC will merge with the UFC in 2011.

“It's time,” White said during a UFC conference call. “As we continue to grow globally, we’re doing enough fights to fold [the WEC] into the UFC. It’s always been in the cards to grow this sport and add every weight class.”

All WEC talent will be retained, White said, including the 135- and 145-pound champions. WEC featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will be recognized as the new UFC champion, and the same will go for the winner of Dominick Cruz’s title defense against Scott Jorgensen at the promotion’s final event, WEC 53, in December. White also confirmed that Aldo will defend his new UFC title on Jan. 1 at UFC 125 “Resolution,” though his opponent was still not set in stone.

But what about the WEC lightweights? The UFC already has its own 155-pound title and a deep stable of fighters to go with it. White said he intends to fold all the WEC lightweights into the UFC talent pool, unifying the two belts with a miniature tournament of sorts.

“The winner of Ben Henderson’s [Dec. 16 title defense against Anthony Pettis] will automatically face the winner of Frankie Edgar versus Gray Maynard,” said White.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-WEC-to-Merge-in-2011-27812

I'm so stoked about this.

Not only does the UFC now have amazing fighters like Jose Aldo, Uriajh Faber, Dominick Cruz, Miguel Torres, Mike Brown etc..., but they are adding two new weight classes which means that basically every single (pay-per-view) event the UFC holds will feature a championship match.

On top of two entirely new divisions being added to the UFC, the 155 pound division, which was already fairly deep in the first place, is now going to have 3 more very dangerous fighters added to its ranks with Ben Henderson, Donald Cerrone and Jamie Varner (maybe even with with Anthony Pettis).

Best of all? We may see some of the great 145 and 135 pound fighters over in Japan make their way to the UFC now that they would be able to stay at their natural weight class.

This is just fantasitc news all around.

I haven't even watched or followed WEC before but I have recently started getting into UFC quite lately, I've started by watching Season 12 of The Ultimate Figher and I've seen a few main events from the previous UFC events. I guess this merge means more competition in the UFC and more exciting matches. :D