Broussard: "Preliminary Talks For A Swap of Deng and Iguodala

Pooh25

Chris Broussard mentioned on the ESPN that there have been discussions on a Deng for Iguodala swap for a Deng and Iguodala swap. Doug Collins has always been very high on Luol Deng and he possibly James Johnson. This allows Philadelphia's franchise player, Evan Turner, to be more effective because Deng doesn't need the ball and has a great mid-range/a good 3 point shot, which Iguodala doesn't have. Deng is also a great defender in his position.

This was also a rumor during the summer, but it's legs fell. Now, that Iguodala has asked Sixers Front Office for a trade, the rumor is more credible.

Would you make this trade or not?

Highly doubt that these discussions went anywhere from 'preliminary'. This trade would make no sense for the Sixers whatsoever unless Chicago was including picks (traded this year's first to the Bucks though) and a good young prospect (Gibson?). Even then its not a very good move for them.

Yeah, why not. Iggy has already proven that he cant be a #1 option for a team on offense. He just doesn't possess the skillset to be a go to guy. On a healthy Bulls team he's possibly the third option, and a good one at that. Win for them.

As for the Sixers they aren't a playoff team with or without Iggy imo. With this trade you give Turner an opportunity to run the show, and Deng is a good complimentary piece as long as he can stay healthy. For whatever reason the Sixers value Iggy highly, so it just depends on what direction management wants to go with this team. They'll lose the better player in this trade, but on the other hand Tuner will get valuable playing time as a rookie which will help him mature heading into his second season. Sixers should try and get one more player in the trade if possible though, a Taj Gibson (as Dash said), but if not I would strongly consider going through with it.

The way I see it, if you're gonna invest so much into a guy you might as well give him an opportunity to prove himself.

Edited by Confidence

Iguodala and Brand for Deng and Johnson is an interesting proposal that would make sense for both somewhat. Bulls still have a bit of cap, not sure if they can swing that deal or not.

EDIT: Ehh, nvm, hoopshype isn't fully up to date.

Edited by Check my Stats

Highly doubt that these discussions went anywhere from 'preliminary'. This trade would make no sense for the Sixers whatsoever unless Chicago was including picks (traded this year's first to the Bucks though) and a good young prospect (Gibson?). Even then its not a very good move for them.

Bulls have this year's first, this deal would only go down after December 15th, the deal would probably be Deng + Brewer + Picks for Iguodala, that is a good trade for both sides.

About the Bulls pick:

As part of the trade, the Bucks will have the right to swap first-round picks with the Bulls in 2010, sources said.
Which the Bucks obviously did. Edited by TheBullsInsider

Why would the Bulls want Iggy? If I'm the Bulls I'm trying to pry the arguably the second best small forward in the game which is Carmelo Anthony. A trio of Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, and Derrick Rose. Plus Chicago has a deep bench which consist of Ronnie Brewer, Kyle Korver, Taj Gibson back once Boozer is back in the lineup, C.J. Watson, James Johnson, and a veteran under rated center in Kurt Thomas. If the Bulls could land Melo without giving up Noah + Deng that would make the bench deeper since Deng would be moved to the bench. The Bulls would be instant contenders if Melo were to be traded their.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure why the 76ers would do this. Unless the Bulls were giving up both Deng and Johnson, I don't see why they would give up the far better player in Iggy. Maybe that's just me, but in my opinion this move doesn't make sense for the 76ers. As for the Bulls, they should do this trade without any question. Iguodala would give Rose another high-flying running mate, and would give more leadership to the young Bulls squad as well.

This trade puzzles me in so many ways.

For the Bulls, why are they trying to trade one of their few knock down shooters? Iggy is a slasher, they don't need that. Deng is more than capable of playing in this offense, just give it time once Boozer comes back. They don't need Iguodala. They don't need his slashing ability nor his ability to defend (they brought in Ronnie Brewer just for that role).

The Sixers should be considering offers for Iguodala, but they need to receive some picks and young talent/expiring contracts. Don't see any point in receiving virtually the same contract. If you want Evan Turner to be the main guy, then go out and trade Iggy for some useless players with nice expiring contracts.

Why would the Bulls want Iggy? If I'm the Bulls I'm trying to pry the arguably the second best small forward in the game which is Carmelo Anthony. A trio of Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, and Derrick Rose. Plus Chicago has a deep bench which consist of Ronnie Brewer, Kyle Korver, Taj Gibson back once Boozer is back in the lineup, C.J. Watson, James Johnson, and a veteran under rated center in Kurt Thomas. If the Bulls could land Melo without giving up Noah + Deng that would make the bench deeper since Deng would be moved to the bench. The Bulls would be instant contenders if Melo were to be traded their.

For the Bulls, why are they trying to trade one of their few knock down shooters? Iggy is a slasher, they don't need that. Deng is more than capable of playing in this offense, just give it time once Boozer comes back. They don't need Iguodala. They don't need his slashing ability nor his ability to defend (they brought in Ronnie Brewer just for that role).

They need Iguodala's play-making ability a lot more then Deng's shooting capabilities, which is useless if he can't create his shot.