Tony Parker signs extension with Spurs

Dash

Translated per Parker's official site.

$50 Million on four years. After a last year of contract with the Spurs to 13,5 million, Tony Parker will begin a new round of four years with San Antonio in october 2011. Arrived in the American league in 2001 to only 19 years, TP becomes the youngest ringleader of thu holder of the history of the NBA and extends the adventure alongside Tim Duncan and Gregg German in 2005 for six years and 66 million.

http://fr.tp9.net/%C2%AB-un-spurs-jusqu%E2%80%99en-2015-%C2%BB-869

$12.5 million per year might be a tad much but its not a bad deal for the Spurs.

Edited by Dash

Translated per Parker's official site.

http://fr.tp9.net/%C2%AB-un-spurs-jusqu%E2%80%99en-2015-%C2%BB-869

$12.5 million per year might be a tad much but its not a bad deal for the Spurs.

Considering he would be getting a max deal, or damn near close to one, if he hit the market, I'd say that $12.5M isn't all that bad considering he is still relatively young and won't be a worn out vet by the time the deal is over. He will be 33 by the time that this contract is finished and while he probably won't be as effective as he is now due to his game being so dependent on speed and quickness, I still think he will be capable of giving you around 16-6, maybe more points depending on what the Spurs roster looks like in a few years.

I just love the fact that a semi-star player is signing with a small market team. After all of these players signing with big market teams or in Melo's case trying to force his way to a big market, it is encouraging to see a player like Parker stay loyal to the franchise that had so much faith in him. He could've easily waited until his deal was up and then signed with the Knicks or something, so it is nice to see loyalty on his part.

• Like 1

Considering he would be getting a max deal, or damn near close to one, if he hit the market, I'd say that $12.5M isn't all that bad considering he is still relatively young and won't be a worn out vet by the time the deal is over. He will be 33 by the time that this contract is finished and while he probably won't be as effective as he is now due to his game being so dependent on speed and quickness, I still think he will be capable of giving you around 16-6, maybe more points depending on what the Spurs roster looks like in a few years.

I just love the fact that a semi-star player is signing with a small market team. After all of these players signing with big market teams or in Melo's case trying to force his way to a big market, it is encouraging to see a player like Parker stay loyal to the franchise that had so much faith in him. He could've easily waited until his deal was up and then signed with the Knicks or something, so it is nice to see loyalty on his part.

Yeah, I mean all of the Spurs players have had to start accepting a lesser role. Duncan has let Parker into the limelight, and Parker is sharing minutes with Hill. I always thought Parker was gonna be the first guy to demand a trade, but I was proven wrong after this.

I thought the plan was to let Parker walk and let George Hill take over? Guess not...but it's definitely a good deal for the Spurs.

Well, let me put it this way. Why fix something when it ain't broke? Hill doesn't mind coming off the bench, and it's actually a very effective system with Parker starting and Hill off the bench. The only reason Tony Parker's name has "dropped in value", is because he had injury problems last year. Because of those injury issues, people jumped to the conclusion that he was past his prime, and that his career in San Antonio was drawing to an end. I counter with looking at his first game of the season against my Indiana Pacers. His statline was as follows;

20 Points, 9 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 3 Steals.

In my opinion, those are not the numbers of an "aging veteran point guard". Those are the numbers of an angry point guard in his prime, trying to prove himself once again. It's a great move for the Spurs, and the cash is just about right for a point guard of his caliber.

I can't say it's a great deal for the Spurs but at least they kept Parker. I still think it's slightly too much though seeing as George Hill has the potential to over-take Parker.

Yeah i feel the same way about it. You can really take this deal in both ways, it certainly has it's up but it has it's downs also. I love the fact that the Spurs big 3 are continuing to stick together after all this time, something a lot of teams find hard to do, family first.

i dont see Parker living up to $12.5 a year, but it was smart for the Spurs to keep him. It was also very nice for Parker not to leave SA, although i didnt see him going to the Knicks anyways since they wouldn't have given him more than a 1 year guaranteed deal. Reason? See: Chris Paul in 2012-13