Stern Predicts European Division Within Decade

AboveLegit

NBA commissioner David Stern predicts that his league will feature a European division sometime within the next decade.

"It's a wonderful topic, because 10 years ago, I said, 'Oh, it's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years,' " Stern said.

"And now what I'm saying is, 'It's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years.' But in terms of globalization, we're going to see a desire for franchises in Europe -- and in about 10 years, you'll send me a postcard."

The Nets and Raptors will play two regular-season games in London in March.

"I think we'll have a division and I think the Heat will play in Boston one night and then they'll go to Paris and spend a couple days on the Champs-Elysses shopping and relaxing," Stern said.

"And then they'll go and play five teams. And when they finish that, they'll play them again. Then they'll come home, having had a nice trip to Europe and they'll be finished with their European obligations."

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69838/20101030/stern_predicts_european_division_within_decade/#ixzz13sHzSMzQ

So they are willing to globalize the league but changed the Finals format to 2-3-2 to decrease the amount of travel for teams?

i don't. teams in Europe just don't make sense, because the games are too close together and time differences would [expletive] everyone over. unless they have 2 seperate conferences (an NBA and an EBA, and the only times the teams meet are for the finals) but that would ruin the NBA imo.

untill we find a way to travel from Europe to the USA without any form of jetlag, this won't happen.

I love this idea. European teams bring great competition, and a very diverse playing style than everyday NBA play. In all honesty, adding European teams would not only add more excitement to the games, but it would also bring in more NBA overall fans. People in Europe would follow the NBA a lot more than they do now, and also, I think it would be a good break for NBA teams to travel across seas to play. Sounds like a good plan to me!

it would also bring in more NBA overall fans. People in Europe would follow the NBA a lot more

I honestly doubt that a lot. The NBA is already as popular as it can be in Europe, everyone knows about it. This since the 90's and the Dream Team in the 92 Olymipcs. Which is why Stern decided to allow NBA players participate in that event anyhow, he wanted to get more fans to follow the NBA and buy the NBA products all over the world... Which succeeded. In the 90's everyone woke up in the middle of the night to watch Jordan play here, it was unbelievable, even people who didn't like basketball ! That's how great Jordan was...

Since Jordan's retirement the NBA is not as big here, although we still have quite a lot of NBA fans (no one would broadcast the games otherwise...), but basketball's popularity is definitely not as big as soccer's or rugby. And it will never be, let's face it, even if there were some NBA franchises here that wouldn't change much. Soccer and rugby will always be the main sports in France, soccer will actually always be the number one sport all around the world (except the US).

Well anyway it's certainly not the first time that I hear that idea, I heard about it the first time talked about it in fact, it was in the late 90's... And I dunno about it to be honest. Well that could be a good idea, I just wonder how they plan to make it work. But that could be a good idea indeed. Although we don't have enough arenas in which NBA games can be played in Europe right now, most of them are too old and too small. For example in France we only have one arena in which an NBA game can take place right now, it's the Bercy arenas in Paris. I even think that we only have three arenas in all Europe that are big enough... So it will take time no matter what. Not only that but I don't think that the owners of the Euroleague and other European leagues for that matter would be very pleased about it to be honest...

So I don't know. I really don't know right now. I am not against this idea. I'm just curious to see how they plan to do it in fact, then I'll comment on it. We'll just have to wait and see anyhow.

I don't think it would work for the reasons stated, the travel is ridiculous. It would take over 8 hours to get from Portland to London. I don't see anyone in their right mind wanting to make that trip. Can you imagine if Portland and London made the NBA Finals? Forget about it...

Dont fix what isnt broken. Get rid of Stern already. Its time for a new commish.

The NBA already has a problem with many teams without stars. Why stretch the talent pool even further? Just gonna have more teams like the Raptors. Yeah they have a nice following in Toronto/Canada but they are kind of considered a joke in the NBA. No star wants to stay there.

how you figure

Because the NBA doesn't need to go overseas. Like someone said above, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm also not sure its good for basketball as a whole. Especially if there's a European influence on the NBA game. I don't think that's for the good of the league.

The NBA already has a problem with many teams without stars. Why stretch the talent pool even further? Just gonna have more teams like the Raptors. Yeah they have a nice following in Toronto/Canada but they are kind of considered a joke in the NBA. No star wants to stay there.

That's definitely a big issue as well.

Dont fix what isnt broken. Get rid of Stern already. Its time for a new commish.

I don't see that being an issue at all. Quite the opposite, when you look at it carefully there are a lot of very talented players who does not play in the NBA. So I'd rather say that we need other teams, 30 is not enough. Also it's important to consider that this ain't gonna happen today, not before 2020 and you can be sure that there will be even more talented players in teh world by then.

Besides the Raptors have a lot of talents, this roster can definitely make the playoffs, they are very talented on paper indeed, their problem is rather their lack of chemistry. But when you look at every team's roster this year you can clearly see that they're all very talented. And I didn't know that the Raptors were considered as a joke to be honest... Why is that ? Just because they're a Canadian team ? That's a weird mentality if you ask me... You guys better get used to it anyhow, cause even if there wasn't no European team, well there's gonna be a team in Mexico quite soon.

Because the NBA doesn't need to go overseas. Like someone said above, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm also not sure its good for basketball as a whole. Especially if there's a European influence on the NBA game. I don't think that's for the good of the league.

Especially if there's a European influence on the NBA ? And why is that ? Europeans, and in fact the rest of the world, know how to play basketball you know... I think that it's clearly been proved this last decade when, not only Team USA failed three times in a row (2002, 2004 and 2006), but they also almost lost in 2000 and 2008. As a matter of fact if Jasikevicius shot at the end of the Lietuva-USA game in 2000 was good, Lietuva would have won. And Spain almost beat Team USA in 2008. Not only that but they even had a lot of troubles against Argentina despite the fact that they had ONLY Scola (Ginobili was injured), yes the other players in that team were not only NBA players but they weren't even stars in the league they played in... And in 2006 Team USA lost against Greece, there were not even ONE NBA player in that team.

Even worse several NBA franchises lost against several European teams those past few years as well. I said even worse cause those teams didn't have any chemistry issues (contrary to Team USA...) as all the players knew each other very well... The last one was even the champs, the Lakers, who lost against Barcelona WITH THE NBA RULES. I think that all of this clearly shows that the rest of the world knows how to play basketball indeed.

Besides there's ALREADY a European, and international, influence in the NBA anyhow, and it can only get bigger as more and more international players will play in the big league. The time when Europeans didn't have a chance to prove what they could do (like when Petrovic has to sit on the bench for two years in Portland before he had a chance to show how great he truly was in New Jersey for example) is clearly gone now. And this European influence only brought terrific things in the National Basketball Association. For example who's the team who's been the most European like this past decade ? The San Antonio Spurs. As a matter of fact they've been among the very first teams to give their chance to international players, they didn't hesitate to draft Parker, Ginobili and Udrih or sign Oberto when no one else wanted them for example, and even if they didn't play for them they also drafted Scola, Barbosa or Dragic... The Spurs knew before anyone else that there were talents all over the world. Pop's always been a fan of overseas basketball anyhow and he always said that FIBA had a big influence on him. And this international influence has be nothing but good if you asked me, not only the Spurs were the second most succesful team of the 2000's with 3 rings but they were the only team who won at least 50 games every season...

Don't get me wrong though I am not trying to say that European basketball is as good as the American basketball, certainly not, the USA are definitely the best at basketball that's for sure, and I've always rooted for Team USA myself anyhow, no all I'm trying to say here is that it's time now to realize that there are a lot of great basketball in the world everywhere in the world and that the rest of the world definitely deserves respect.

But anyhow I certainly don't see how this "European influence" can be in any way a problem. Besides it ain't because there were some NBA teams in Europe that there would be only European players in those teams... Are there any Canadian players in Toronto ? Not even one... So no this is certainly not an issue.

Also to answer what you and DaFranchise said about this "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing, well I couldn't disagree more. It's not because the NBA is a great league that it can't be improved. And I certainly don't blame Stern to wanna make the NBA an even bigger league. So that's not an argument either.

Now I want to precise that I'm not especially for this idea in the first place. I'm not sure that it would a good idea myself. But I think that we can give some credit to Stern, and at least wait till we know exactly how they plan to do it before we criticize it.

Guest mr_sunshine

i am from europe and i'd love a native team but i dont want players getting so tired and un-rested cause they not make flight or not have long hours sleep. i think this would hurt the players moral and how you say.... bodily stress? they'd be so tired and imagine a back to back europe-USA game!

bad idea.