Alonzo or Dwight?

AboveLegit

I would have to go with Alonzo Mourning. Why? First, because he actually had post moves, unlike Dwight who basically gets his points off of beautiful passes or alleyoops for dunks. Second, because they are almost even on the defensive side of the ball. Alonzo was just about as amazing of a shot-blocker as Howard is today. Thus, my pick is Alonzo Mourning.

That's like a spot on comparison. Ah I loved Zo. His intangibles made him a winner. He just was so passionate about the game. Anytime Mourning gets injured, it's because he was playing basketball the hard-nosed way it should be played.

Offensively, Mourning wins for me. He just had a better all-around offensive polish, even though he was probably just as explosive as Howard. But Mourning wasn't just limited from putback points, pick-and-roll, etc. He could score with his back to the basket and he got most of his points there. Also he actually had a bit of mid-range game, something Howard still lacks

Howard is better on the boards though. Anyone who can pick up about 15 rebounds and 4 offensive rebounds is insane.

Also, an argument people may use for Zo is that he was a better shot-blocker because he averaged more. However, I think that nowadays the refs are beginning to call more fouls in the shooters favor. Whether the block: foul ratios that favor Mourning is a matter of bad calls or better shot-blocking skill really isn't known. I really would pick either on the defensive end.

Zo, without a doubt.

There is honestly only one thing that Dwight has over Zo : he's more athletic than him. And that's it. Other than that Zo was better than him everywhere else.

First on offense. Well it's true that Dwight has improved since he entered the league but, even if he's working with Hakeem, I think that he ain't gonna get better than that now. Howard is just not a great offensive player, he's become an alright one though but I don't believe he will ever be better than that. So he definitely can't compare with someone like Zo who had a lot of post moves and a great offensive repertoire.

On defense Zo was also better. Alright I know that Dwight was DPOY twice, but I always had a problem with that personally as he's clearly not a great man to man defender... He's a great help defender, certainly the best (a case can be made for Josh Smith though), but not a man to man defender. I had a discussion about it with another poster recently and he kinda made me change my mind about it though, he made a good point by saying that despite the fact that Howard wasn't a good man to man defender, his presence only was enough to have a huge impact on his team, defensively. Which is true. So I can accept that Howard was named DPOY now, even though I would have personally voted for Sefolosha last year... But anyhow that's another story, back to Zo he was definitely a way better man to man defender, no doubt.

So there is no doubt for me that Zo was definitely a better player than Dwight. In fact, Dwight and Yao are two very good players, and I like 'em both, but honestly none of them can't compare to the five best center of the 90's, the last true great centers, that were Ewing, Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem and Zo. No doubt about that.

• Like 1

I'd go w/ Zo! He was more likely to give ya 23 points and he was more versatile on the offensive. Can't measure their hearts, and don't know about their leadership on the court. We can't see what goes on in the locker room. Alonzo would be first pick.

• 3 weeks later...