Magic Johnson might buy part of Dolphins if L.A. idea fizzles

ChosenOne

Who says Spartans and Wolverines can't get along?

Magic Johnson, the Michigan State legend, recently met with Miami Dolphins owner and Michigan alumnus Stephen Ross to discuss business -- perhaps including becoming the Fins' latest celebrity limited partner. But he says his No.1 priority remains bringing in the NFL back to Los Angeles.

"I like Stephen Ross a lot," Johnson said Friday while attending a Heat game. "Of course if he wants me to do business with him, we're going to do business together."

Since taking over the Dolphins before last season, Ross has brought aboard as limited partners the Williams sisters of tennis and entertainers Gloria and Emilio Estefan, Fergie and Marc Anthony.

"He's a smart businessman, and he's a fun businessman," Johnson said. "See, that's the difference between a lot of owners. He understands marketing and making it fun, a great atmosphere."

Blind announcer has very few problems

Cricket announcer Dean Du Plessis' acute sense of hearing and his eavesdropping on other commentators helps him overcome the fact that he is blind, producing a delivery so polished that most listeners in Zimbabwe can't tell.

Du Plessis hears the power and direction of the hit and listens to the speed and spin of the ball, along with the players' exertions and their cries of elation or frustration.

"I'm generally spot on or very close," he told the Associated Press. "I think I have a pretty big hard drive in my head."

Du Plessis was born with tumors in both eyes, and his parents were told he wouldn't live beyond infancy. He dreams of working full time for a major international sports channel, "but as soon as people learn I'm blind, they back off."

Freep.com