Del Negro Criticizes Baron's Work Ethic

Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro criticized Baron Davis on Monday night after the point guard was scratched with a flare-up of the knee problems that bothered him in camp.

Del Negro attributed the problems to the guard's lack of offseason preparation.

"Baron has incredible amounts of talent and ability," Del Negro said, "but his focus needs to be on staying in condition and playing at a high level. And he hasn't done that for a while, and I know he's frustrated with that, but there's things he has to do to correct that."

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Davis_Baron_lac_091208a.jpg

Del Negro said Davis had "gotten out of shape pretty badly" over the summer, and while giving him credit for two months of hard work to get into condition, "that should have been a process right after the season ended.

"It shouldn't have happened just two months ago. We all know that. And that's what we're dealing with."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69894/20101102/del_negro_criticizes_barons_work_ethic/

Can't really disagree with Del Negro that much on this statement. Davis hasn't really looked in shape for the last few years, and in my opinion, he's gotten slower and a lot more injury prone because of it. The main reason that he lost his work ethic was because of the situation he was in, There was no excitement about the Clippers, and then they finally got Griffin, but he got hurt. Those are very dis-heartening circumstances that Baron was going through so I do understand his lack of enthusiasm for getting in the gym and working. That doesn't make it right, but now he has to get back and start working harder to make up for the time that he didn't.

Thoughts?

• Owner

Baron has shot over 43% just once in his career, four times under 40%. He's super-inefficient, even though he was (at one time) very athletic and got to the rim with ease. The bad part about it is, he shoots poorly not because of constant doubles or lack of athleticism (even though he's suffering from that now), but because he's just ignorant and takes ill-advised shots.

He's still throwing assists, but Baron came into this league as a scorer from UCLA, shot what...50% from the floor in college both seasons?

I'm not sold on Baron being the starting point guard for a playoff team anymore. I don't think it'll happen for the rest of his career, unless he jumps to a contender that has enough star talent around him to make up for his lack of defense and poor shooting.

Baron Davis was a fun player to watch and it seems to me that he is not motivated any more and you can tell which has been already stated that he has gotten out of shape and he has clearly didn’t put in the work that was needed to prepare for this season. Everyone knows that Baron has loads of talent and when he is on top of his game he is a very dangerous player but I haven’t seen the fire in him in a very long time.

By Del Negro saying this in public I hope it may motivate him to really work hard and get back to form and play some exciting basketball again.

As much as Baron is lazy i think he gets that his team is far better than they were when he came to Clipper land 2 years ago, so he can't blame the team now. If he's about ''winning'' at all he will eventually get together and take playing a lot more seriously.

Baron Admits To Being Out Of Shape

After initially denying coach Vinny Del Negro's claim that he's out of shape, Clippers point guard Baron Davis admitted that he didn't report to training camp as he should have.

"I usually get in shape in August," Davis said.

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Davis_Baron_lac.jpg

"I've been doing that for the last six years of my career. This August I started working out and getting ready to go and it got a lot harder. It wasn't like I wasn't doing anything but my body wasn't responding as quickly as it usually does and I think I kind of faced that reality this summer. That was a problem that hit me and kind of caught me off guard because it never really happened to me before in my career. Getting in shape was never really a problem for me before but these nagging injuries have taught me a lesson. This summer was a dose of reality that I need to start training differently and earlier."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69900/20101102/baron_admits_to_being_out_of_shape/

Well at least that means that he's accepting the fact and he's out to get better at it. This could have lead to drama between Del Negro and Davis, and that could have destroyed the team, but he's taking it like a man. That's always the first step towards recovery lol.

Thoughts?