O'Brien Hopes to Reduce Granger's Minutes by 9-10

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien hopes to reduce Danny Granger's playing time by 9-to-10 minutes per game, according to beat writer Mike Wells.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NBA/1137.jpg

Indiana will deploy a four-man wing rotation with Granger, Mike Dunleavy, Brandon Rush, and Paul George. This shouldn't be a big problem for fantasy owners -- Granger is averaging 42 minutes per game, a full 10-minute reduction is unlikely, and in any case fewer minutes could keep him rested and healthy for the duration of the season.

rotoworld

This would be perfect for Granger. With his injury issues that he's had the past couple seasons, being able to sit an extra 9-10 minutes would be huge for him. It all depends on what kind of season Rush comes into. If he's gained confidence in his game, then I think we'll be fine, but if he's playing cautious like he has his entire career, then we might run into problems. Hopefully this works out well for us though.

Thoughts?

• Owner

Granger is a young, all-star caliber player. Expecting him to play 32-33 minutes per game is fine if you're going to tank the season, or if you're a stacked team.

Six minutes is a half a quarter. Basically, O'Brien wants him to sit nearly a full quarter more, even though he's already sitting six minutes (on average).

No point in this, really, because the Pacers aren't going to blow guys out on a nightly basis, and they aren't going to glide into the playoffs easily.

Granger is a young, all-star caliber player. Expecting him to play 32-33 minutes per game is fine if you're going to tank the season, or if you're a stacked team.

Six minutes is a half a quarter. Basically, O'Brien wants him to sit nearly a full quarter more, even though he's already sitting six minutes (on average).

No point in this, really, because the Pacers aren't going to blow guys out on a nightly basis, and they aren't going to glide into the playoffs easily.

this...

and this...

If the coach is able to pull this off someone should be getting fired. You don't increase bence time for Granger. The guy can be a first option on 20% of the teams in this league.

Granger Fine With Fewer Minutes

Pacers forward Danny Granger is fine with coach Jim O'Brien's plan to limit his minutes.

O'Brien would like to keep Granger at around 35 minutes per game.

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Granger_Danny_ind.jpg

"I'm all for it," Granger said. "I think I've been playing too many minutes. Now we have all our wings, so I won't have to worry about having to carry a lot of minutes."

O'Brien would like to use a four-man rotation now that Brandon Rush has returned from suspension.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70032/20101110/granger_fine_with_fewer_minutes/

Obviously if the game is close, or in a clutch part of the game, then he won't be on the bench. I think what O'Brien is talking about, is if the Pacers get out to say a 9-10 point lead early, he would rest Granger rather than leave him out on the floor. If you can give any rest to Danny at all, I think it's a good idea. Keep him as healthy as you can, because later down the stretch of the season, your going to need him out there most of the game. I like what JOB is doing here.

Thoughts?