What's wrong with the Thunder?

Newman

As we all know the Thunder didn't really surprise anyone with their start up to date (3-3), so what's wrong with them? Is it because Ron Adams left for Chicago? Durant's struggle? Lack of an inside presence?

Obviously the struggle cannot be attributed to one single factor, but what do you think is the major factor?

To me, it's Durant's struggle. I watched every USA match in the FIBA and he was killing the competition then. Granted, the other national teams didn't have notable NBA players, but he just outshone everyone else on the team and any time he put a shot up it looked like it was going in.

Then skipping forward to last Thursday/Friday when I watched the Blazers' game, he was clearly struggling. He couldn't get away from Batum at all (Batum is a good defender though), and was putting up mostly bad shots. When he had open looks, it was almost like there was a sense of doubt in him in whether he was able to make the shot.

Do you guys think he will struggle like this through the rest of the season and likewise, will the Thunder do the same?

Durant's struggles do hurt the team a bit, but it's not the source of their struggles. For what he hasn't been doing on the offensive end, Westbrook and Green's great play to kick off the season have.

The source of the team's struggles have been defensively. Last season they were 9th in Drtg, this year 27th. Last year they were giving up 98PPG on 45% shooting...this year 106PPG on 49% shooting. And it isn't like their pace has increased, it has stayed almost exactly the same, which means their defense has gotten a LOT worse. They simply aren't playing with the same fire on that end of the floor, and until they get back down to the smothering defense they had last season, they will be a massive disappointment.

To be fair, I expected them to have this kind of start and season. Don't get me wrong, they will get better, but won't be an elite WC team. They don't have a ton of talent outside of Durant/Westbrook, and last season they really maxed out what they had and played with such a high energy. This season they will have a very hard time matching that energy they had last season. Durant will also have a very hard time matching the insane efficiency he had last season as every single team has studied his tape and will be keyed in on him more than ever.

i do think ron adams is missed iv said it for awhile now. he really got in guys ears when there was a mistake on the defensive end. i also believe scotty brooks is doing a horrible job coaching the offense no ball movement, durant is in a lot more iso's he is much better working without the ball (maybe because we are missing collison but cole can set some nice picks too) thus leading to his struggles.

durant is starting to pick it up efficiency wise so im not worried at all by his struggles nor do i think its costing us games

the defense is killing us though thats how we scored a lot of points off, creating turnovers or blocking shots and it just isnt there, leading back to ron adams.

im not worried at all its still very early i did expect a better start however, not by the W/L's but by the performances. they have till the end of the month before i start to worry ;)