Neg rep

YugoRocketsFan

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If there was negative rep, I'd have the most neg rep points on OTR.

I think I might beat you, but STL would beat us all.

Anyways, I don't think its good for the board. It would get abused by people and end up taking away from the discussion.

maybe if you have 3 neg reps to use per week or something. unless someone says something ridiculously stupid you shouldn't - them, but on other boards you get dudes who - rep you because you disagree with them.

this is kind of unnecessary though, you can just call someone an idiot if you think they are, you don't need to press a damn button.

I'm fine either way maybe just add them for a trial period and if they are abused or it becomes a problem we can just get rid of them. It seems as if enough people want that we should give it a shot.

Edited by STATCity

no, it takes away from discussion. people don't care for explaining to someone why they're wrong, they just give them a neg rep and move on to the next topic.

^This definitely. Very well said Lil' Penny, I was about to say the same thing. I've always disliked groans or neg reps first because of that, as a matter of fact as you said it if there's a groan button people will most of the time just use it instead of clearly explain why they disagree. Which is totally ridiculous IMO.

+1 Dan, you deserve it. ;)

And +1 to what Real Deal just said as well, definitely agree with all what you said. The groan button was just a big failure on RSZ, not only most members do what Dan said, they just groan a post and don't explain why they don't agree, but people use it for very bad reasons and it starts childish fights all the time...

So a neg rep can ONLY be a bad thing, which is why I am strongly against it as well.

Edited by Oliver P

There really shouldn't be a rep system to begin with, because it's not being used correctly.

For the same reason people would give positive rep to a funny post, someone would give a negative rep to a topic they don't like. For instance, that LeBron mock commercial...if Lkr were to post it (being a Lakers fan), there would be negative reps from the Heat fans here. He would get it just for posting the video.

Same with a post dealing with religion or politics. Anyone could write up a very well-written post defending God (or not), or against Obama (or for), and it would be hit with negative reps by those who just don't agree with it, which would be half the site.

In addition to that...seeing who gives you the positives means you'll be able to see who gives you those negatives. I can't code in something that does one and not the other in this system. I don't need to explain why that's a bad thing.

Ask the RSZ members how groans work over there. You can go into some topics and see people "groaning" others' posts for no reason at all, only because they have done the same to others...and it got out of hand QUICKLY.

This is a bad, bad thing to implement into the board. I would honest rather just drop the word filter if we're going to make any change at all.

TBH, I don't wanna neg rep people because they disagree with me, or because they made a thread I don't like, I wanna neg rep people who make dumb/ignorant posts, like going to a Soccer thread just to say soccer sucks for example.

Insane how the vote is at 9/9 now.