Frustrated Saunders Walks Out Of Wizards Practice

Flip Saunders cancelled a Wizards' practice session on Monday because the coach was unhappy with the team's effort and its complaints about calls.

"Five minutes after the media was let onto the main court for practice, Flip Saunders walked off the court and canceled practice due to the lack of effort and the barking that was taking place over disputed calls," reports BulletsForever.com. "A second practice was rescheduled for 4PM with no media availability."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69998/20101108/frustrated_saunders_walks_out_of_wizards_practice/

One of the guys that attend the Wizards practices on a DC site had this to say:

This lack of focus is endemic to the whole team, at least today. In fact, the one person besides the usual suspects that I noticed communicating out there and trying to get something out of the session was Gilbert Arenas.

I just don't think Flip is much of a mentor/teacher of the game. I constantly see him losing his cool on the bench and just throw guys out of games. I understand that it is frustrating, but it's what you get paid to do. Hopefully this is a motivational tactic, that I don't mind, maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

I think there's a bunch of guys on this team that just don't fit Flip's coaching style. I am sure the faces will change over the years, but until then, Flip needs to stay patient.

It's disappointing to see this. Saunders is a great coach, and like Wall2Wall was saying, the players are young, and the only way they'll get better is to listen to him, and buy into his system. They are not going to start winning games anytime soon if they don't listen to the coaching they are receiving. If they really want to ignore Saunders and lose, then it's all on them at this point in time. I think you'll see guys like Gilbert Arenas and Josh Howard start to be vocal leaders in practice, and make sure the young guys are paying attention. Definitely bad news for Wizards fans though.