1 on 1 with Kevin Durant

Nice Kicks: At what age did you decide that you wanted to play in the NBA?

Kevin Durant: Since I was eight years old. I sat my mom down and had an eye to eye talk with her that I wanted to play basketball for a living and I wanted to be great. She pushed me from there. She didn’t give me any breaks, no time off, she made sure that I had the right people around me to help me succeed.

Nice Kicks: Besides your mom, who else pushed you to succeed at basketball?

Kevin Durant: My godfather taught me the game, my brother who was always there for me, and my grandmother who even though she didn’t know much about the game she made sure that I worked hard at everything that I did and my father as well. That was my circle that pushed me to be the best I could be.

Nice Kicks: In the NBA, who inspired you to be your best?

Kevin Durant: Vince Carter was that guy who I always looked up to. He always played with that fire and that passion and that’s what I wanted to do. He’s a great player to live up to. He has had a phenomenal career so far and he is with a new team now so its a new beginning for him again. That’s the guy I always wanted to be like. You know, I can’t jump as high as him, but I can play with that passion.

Nice Kicks: We caught up with your former teammate DJ Augustin and he told us we needed to ask you about the Nike KD2.

Kevin Durant: Yeah, I have been playing in those for the past couple of months at Texas to get used to them. He said he liked them and he isn’t a really big shoe guy so that says something.

Nice Kicks: Are we going to see some of that story telling on the sole of the KD2?

Kevin Durant: [laughs] I think we will. I can’t give you too much right now, but I think you will really like the KD2.

Nice Kicks: What was something you now know about the NBA that you wished you knew when you were heading in?

Kevin Durant: How long the season is - I took that for granted. It’s tough going through 82 games, plus preseason, plus playoffs if you make it, so you play almost 100 games a year…

Nice Kicks: What’s the all time sneaker that you have ever owned?

Kevin Durant: Um, I would have to say the Nike Flightposite. I had the gold ones. They looked so good that I couldn’t play in them. Definitely my favorite sneaker.

Nice Kicks: What about your favorite sneaker that you have never owned?

Kevin Durant: I never had any of the Pennys. I always wanted the Pennys, but I never had any of them. I always got the Pippens, but I never had the Pennys. So hopefully Nike can bring them back out again in a size that I can fit.

Nice Kicks: Were the Pippens your favorite signature shoes growing up?

Kevin Durant: It was. He had so many unique sneakers - especially the ones with the big “AIR” on the side, the Pippen II’s, and the Pippen’s with just the P logo on the side. He really did have some cool shoes. I think alot of people overlook how great Pippen’s shoes were. I liked them and had a bunch of different colors in them and was fortunate enough to have them.

Nice Kicks: From Prince George, who has the best closet? You, Michael Beasley, or Wale?

Kevin Durant: Wale, by far. That’s all he does, that’s his image, that’s what he has to do. That’s part of his image and his brand is to have a ton of great shoes and clothes. Plus he isn’t 6-10 or 6-8 like we are so it’s easier for him to go into the stores and buy stuff. He’s a fly guy.

Nice Kicks: Any given day, what can we find on your feet when you’re off court?

Kevin Durant: [Laughs] Flip-flops. You know, that’s all I wear all day is flip-flops. I hurt my toes so much playing ball, so I just want to give my feet and my toes some room when I’m off the court. But if I’m going somewhere you can find me in Air Force 1s, LeBrons, Jordans. Where I’m from we are big about our sneakers so you can expect to see me in any of those.

Nice Kicks: If you weren’t playing basketball, what would you want to do as a career?

Kevin Durant: Honestly, I don’t know. Basketball is the only thing that I set my mind to.

Nice Kicks: But for the life after basketball?

Kevin Durant: I would like to do something that is working with kids. I really enjoy doing that.

pretty cool interview. theres more Q&A Here