McNabb - Redskins agree to 5 year 78 million dollar extension

fish7718

Donovan McNabb has secured another financial apology.

ESPN’s Michael Smith reports that the Redskins have signed McNabb to a five-year, $78 million extension with a reported $40 million guaranteed. Yep, the organization just doubled down on McNabb two weeks removed from benching him for Rex Grossman.

As always, we’ll wait to see the contractual details before knowing the full story. The final years of the contract are likely meaningless, and we’ve often seen that “guaranteed” money is often anything but when you look closer.

With that out of the way, this clearly a serious and stunning financial commitment from the Redskins. McNabb will surely be locked in Washington through the 2011 season at a minimum.

Source

More info on the deal - up the 88 mill with incentives, 40 mill guaranteed

:o, he will probably be cut before the 4th or 5th year but damn, dude got paid lol, surprsing I felt he could be hitting the FA market after what happen vs the Lions

Edited by STATCity

I saw this extension coming from a mile away. Snyder loves McNabb, always has, and when he made this deal in April, it seemed pretty clear to me that he will be here till the end of his career. People thought he was done because guys like Shefter and Clayton and Mortenson kept stating that McNabb would leave for a team like the Cardinals and Vikings. Complete speculation, no truth behind it.

The key to this deal is that there's a clause in the CBA that allows teams to allocate an in-season extension toward the current year's cap if it's signed before the 11th week of the season. Allen is just taking advantage of the no-cap year, should come to no surprise.

I'm supporting this extension only because we've already invested so much into Donovan. We traded two high draft picks for him, and we weren't going to sit back and let him leave after one mediocre year. Yeah he hasn't played well, but he's still learning the offense and I do believe he has the ability to turn this year around. That and the fact that we have no QB to groom in the meantime, I see us drafting one 2-3 years down the road just like the Eagles did a few years ago with Kolb.

This team is not rebuilding, it's looking to win. The organization is too hungry for a Super Bowl win to just give up on what could potentially be a contender if we just add a few pieces here and there. I've said it before and I'll say it again, get McNabb another good receiver and a better O-line and we will be a Super Bowl contender.

Snyder has the money, that has been his motivating factor and what he's been known for, but it doesn't dissuade from the fact that he wants to win. All I can hope for is that the Front Office is wise when assimilating the best pieces to make us competitive every season.

Huge extension there for McNabb. I still think it's been an interesting situation all around since Shanahan went into Washington, and in all honesty I haven't seen much to really show me that they are improving all that much. Sure, they have McNabb who has been one of the best QB's in the NFL's recent history (at least biggest names), and he has experience, but what's been up with them this year? Sitting at 4-4 they look very likely to miss the Playoffs once again, and until they bring in more youth to this team I don't see that changing. No offense to the offense, but when your best weapon is Santana Moss (and not the same Santana Moss that was a beast a couple years back), then that's not saying too much for your team. Give McNabb a few more weapons to work with!

Huge extension there for McNabb. I still think it's been an interesting situation all around since Shanahan went into Washington, and in all honesty I haven't seen much to really show me that they are improving all that much. Sure, they have McNabb who has been one of the best QB's in the NFL's recent history (at least biggest names), and he has experience, but what's been up with them this year? Sitting at 4-4 they look very likely to miss the Playoffs once again, and until they bring in more youth to this team I don't see that changing. No offense to the offense, but when your best weapon is Santana Moss (and not the same Santana Moss that was a beast a couple years back), then that's not saying too much for your team. Give McNabb a few more weapons to work with!

Idk about very likely to miss the playoffs, a win tonight and they are 5-4 and the runner up for the 2nd wild card spot. It's not really the weapons that's held McNabb back, it's the system. We know McNabb can win without great WR's, he's done his whole career. However going from Reid's offense which was pretty basic, to Shanhan's offense which is very complex, has to be a real tough transition. No more evident by the fact that McNabb was benched vs the Lions for not knowing it.

They need to get McNabb some weapons this offseason. I have a strong feeling that Randy Moss is going to end up in a Redskin uniform.

I had the same feeling with Owens, Houshmanzadeh, Boldin, and even Moss when he was on Waivers a few weeks ago... I just don't know what to think. This front office just doesn't know what to do.

I had the same feeling with Owens, Houshmanzadeh, Boldin, and even Moss when he was on Waivers a few weeks ago... I just don't know what to think. This front office just doesn't know what to do.

Yeah I get what your saying. The one thing about the Redskins is that they are really involved in free agency every season. Their name is almost always linked to some big name player. It's obvious though that Santana Moss and Chris Cooley are going to get the job done, the Skins need a possession WR bad.

Yeah I get what your saying. The one thing about the Redskins is that they are really involved in free agency every season. Their name is almost always linked to some big name player. It's obvious though that Santana Moss and Chris Cooley are going to get the job done, the Skins need a possession WR bad.

Well it's not that really, they tried staying away from signing big free agents this summer because they wanted to take a new approach to building this franchise (whatever that is...we're better off throwing money at every player), so it just shows the lack of consistency and stability in the front office.

Cooley has fallen off, he's injury prone and just hasn't looked good at all this season. It seems like he has dropped more passes than any other season. He's normally one of the better TE's in the league too. Fred Davis is somewhat of a bright spot, but he fell short of expectations as well this season.

Hopefully we can get lucky in the draft, we need to make some moves on draft day to acquire some picks.

I think what Washington would be smart to do is keep revamping that offensive line. I think, concievably you have 2 starters entrenched in Brown and Williams. Dpending on how Shanahan approaches the interior of the line, you could keep a mediocre starter. Build upon the running game and what Shanahan schemes really well for in the play action.