Harry Potter

Lkr

lol Harry Potter movie series is trash, but if you haven't seen Star Wars or LOTR, you must not watch many movies :lol:

I watch hundreds and hundreds, I am a movie nerd (thank you Netflix :lol:) but if you don't get into the story, plot, and imagination of LOTR and Star Wars you can imagine how boring it can get.

Z it was Larry Slaughter my bad.

Well, I didn't know who half the people were in the this Harry Potter movie because I didn't read the book, but its still easy to pick up and enjoy the movie if you haven't seen the previous ones.

Harry Potter

Star Wars

Lord of the Rings

Those are 3 of the best movie series of all time. I understand that some people aren't big on sci-fi but man you guys are really missing out.

Haha well they're apparently you three favorite movie series but that doesn't make them the best... I personally prefer the Back to the Future series and by far, for me it's the very best movie series. We just can't all have the same tastes.

I admit that I should at least try to watch Potter and LOTR though... But I certainly don't feel like it at all. Especially Potter lol. But well maybe I'll try one of these days.

lol Harry Potter movie series is trash, but if you haven't seen Star Wars or LOTR, you must not watch many movies :lol:

How do you figure lol ? It ain't because you haven't watched those movies that you ain't knowledgeable in movies... I'd rather say the opposite in fact. Everyone knows about those movies even people who ain't movie fanatics know about them. Blockbusters are usually the kind of movies that people who don't know much about films watch. It's not because you watch a blockbuster that it means that you ain't knowledgeable in movies though, don't get me wrong that's not what I'm saying here lol.

I have never been a fan of blockbusters personally. As Spielberg said it at the beginning of his career there are two kinds of movies, the purely entertainment movies or blockbusters so and the movies with a message, movies that actually mean something (he ironically became the king of blockbusters after that but whatever lol). And not so long ago those are the only movies I could watch, I couldn't stand entertainment movies. I've changed my mind now though, I like both kinds of movies even if I still prefer movies that mean something. And I think that most of the time people tend to overrate blockbusters, especially when I hear things like Star Wars is the best movie ever... I mean I like Star Wars as I said, but let's not exaggerate it's good entertainment but no more than that, I can understand that it's the favorite movies of so many people, we don't have all the same tastes as I said, and that's fine, but I have seen thousands of movies who were actually better than those ones IMO...

Well anyhow back to what I was saying htown and I have not seen the Potter and LOTR series but it certainly do not mean that we don't watch many movies lol. Honestly on all the forums I have been on, I have not seen anyone who was more knowledgeable on movies than htown, platoon and... I (sorry, don't want to brag but it's the truth :P).

I learned after the first couple of movies that you can't go into the movie with the expectations that it will rival the books. It simply isn't possible.

If you don't go into the movie thinking that it is going to be as good as the book, you will enjoy the movie so much more. I started doing that after the 3rd or 4th movie and I enjoyed them so much more.

This is when the movie series actually became good, so it may be more than then anything else. The first 2 or 3 movies were awful.

Harry Potter is a boss, he has his own theme park.....Lord of the Rings and Star Wars can't say that.

This

its one of those movies you either love or hate.

Haha well they're apparently you three favorite movie series but that doesn't make them the best... I personally prefer the Back to the Future series and by far, for me it's the very best movie series. We just can't all have the same tastes.

I admit that I should at least try to watch Potter and LOTR though... But I certainly don't feel like it at all. Especially Potter lol. But well maybe I'll try one of these days.

How do you figure lol ? It ain't because you haven't watched those movies that you ain't knowledgeable in movies... I'd rather say the opposite in fact. Everyone knows about those movies even people who ain't movie fanatics know about them. Blockbusters are usually the kind of movies that people who don't know much about films watch. It's not because you watch a blockbuster that it means that you ain't knowledgeable in movies though, don't get me wrong that's not what I'm saying here lol.

I have never been a fan of blockbusters personally. As Spielberg said it at the beginning of his career there are two kinds of movies, the purely entertainment movies or blockbusters so and the movies with a message, movies that actually mean something (he ironically became the king of blockbusters after that but whatever lol). And not so long ago those are the only movies I could watch, I couldn't stand entertainment movies. I've changed my mind now though, I like both kinds of movies even if I still prefer movies that mean something. And I think that most of the time people tend to overrate blockbusters, especially when I hear things like Star Wars is the best movie ever... I mean I like Star Wars as I said, but let's not exaggerate it's good entertainment but no more than that, I can understand that it's the favorite movies of so many people, we don't have all the same tastes as I said, and that's fine, but I have seen thousands of movies who were actually better than those ones IMO...

Well anyhow back to what I was saying htown and I have not seen the Potter and LOTR series but it certainly do not mean that we don't watch many movies lol. Honestly on all the forums I have been on, I have not seen anyone who was more knowledgeable on movies than htown, platoon and... I (sorry, don't want to brag but it's the truth :P).

Star Wars is so highly rated because of the concept and the time it came out I think. Plus the sound and special effects were pretty amazing for the time it came out.

I didn't say you weren't knowledgeable. It is ludicrous to say that you're a huge movie fan though and you haven't seen some(if not THE) most acclaimed movies of all time though. It isn't like LOTR or Star Wars are some random summer super hero blockbusters, they are genre definers. LOTR has pretty much defined the fantasy movie genre kinda like Star Wars defined the sci fi genre.

Maybe you should go on some more forums then, btw. IDK how you can say you're knowledgeable when it comes to movies and you haven't seen the defining film series of the past decade. I don't care about your preconceived notion, the fact that you haven't even given it a shot is kinda weird. Next thing you know, you will say you haven't seen a Pixar movie

Edited by Lkr

I watch hundreds and hundreds, I am a movie nerd (thank you Netflix :lol:) but if you don't get into the story, plot, and imagination of LOTR and Star Wars you can imagine how boring it can get.

Z it was Larry Slaughter my bad.

I meant which movie of Harry Potter you were watching. -_-

This is when the movie series actually became good, so it may be more than then anything else. The first 2 or 3 movies were awful.

Books were probably better but as far as movies, I definitely agree with this. Although I did like Ron a whole lot more when he was a kid, mostly because he sounded so retarded when he threw a fit. :lol:

Anyways I'm going to go on a Harry Potter book/movie marathon in preparation for part 2. However, I am a very slow reader so I doubt I get more than a book or two done in time.

I still stand by the first movie being the best. The 4th sucks. The 3rd didn't feel like a Harry Potter movie at all. 5 and 6 were kinda blehhhhhhhhh, the biggest problems being they didn't explain ANYTHING to the non-book readers

Edited by Lkr

I didn't say you weren't knowledgeable. It is ludicrous to say that you're a huge movie fan though and you haven't seen some(if not THE) most acclaimed movies of all time though. It isn't like LOTR or Star Wars are some random summer super hero blockbusters, they are genre definers. LOTR has pretty much defined the fantasy movie genre kinda like Star Wars defined the sci fi genre.

Maybe you should go on some more forums then, btw. IDK how you can say you're knowledgeable when it comes to movies and you haven't seen the defining film series of the past decade. I don't care about your preconceived notion, the fact that you haven't even given it a shot is kinda weird. Next thing you know, you will say you haven't seen a Pixar movie

Not necessarily, well I mean I gave it a shot I know Oliver hasn't yet but he sounds like he will eventually.

Movies are about as opinionated as it gets. Like someone else mentioned earlier it may be defining for the "time" it released but that doesn't give it a free pass of greatness.

Avatar is the perfect example, I watched it but I didn't like it. The special effects were defining for the future of technology in movies, but I have seen small budget movies that I enjoyed so much more than Avatar. So in that instance yes props to Cameron on bringing something new to the table, but I sure as hell did not like that movie and prefer others that Cameron has done over his highest grosser.

All I am saying is the masses may love certain movies and LOTR got showered with love during the Oscars, which is when I actually watched the first one and still didn't care for it or that genre.

Star Wars is a different story for me, my friends wanted to watch it badly so I went to the theaters with them and was bored out of my mind plain and simple.

The genre definers deserve credit and respect, but I don't pay to just watch graphics I want a good story also. So that's basically what it boils down to and LOTR, Harry etc. never caught my attention as a person who needed to start following this lucrative series that took over the world really.

I think everyone has a few blockbuster hits that majority of the country liked but they ended up asking themselves "what's the big deal about this one?" .... after asking that question suddenly there credibility goes south lol I never understood that....

I know some critics do it for attention, but if you genuinely don't like a movie there is no reason to hide behind the covers because the masses seem to be enthralled by it. It doesn't make you any less of a movie fan.

• Like 1

I meant which movie of Harry Potter you were watching. -_-

Books were probably better but as far as movies, I definitely agree with this. Although I did like Ron a whole lot more when he was a kid, mostly because he sounded so retarded when he threw a fit. :lol:

Anyways I'm going to go on a Harry Potter book/movie marathon in preparation for part 2. However, I am a very slow reader so I doubt I get more than a book or two done in time.

I'm planning on at some point doing that, if its before the 7th movie 2nd part, I don't know we'll see.

You actually clearly said that htown and I should watch more movies, which means that, in your opinion, we don't watch enough movies and are therefore not knowledgeable. Not only that but you also said it again in that post when you said " IDK how you can say you're knowledgeable when it comes to movies and you haven't seen the defining film series of the past decade". So yes you said it and even keep saying it.

I am sorry but I have watched a lot of movies, and not only american movies but a freaking lot of movies from all over the world (that's right a lot of Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French obviously, Italian, English, Iranian, etc... movies), a lot of old, a lot of recent movies and I don't know very few people who have watched the same movies as I do. So trust me I have a very good knowledge and I'm sure that I know movies that you haven't even heard about.

The only thing I agree with is that I should at least try to watch those movies, as I told dash. But watching them wouldn't make me more knowledgeable in any way. Cause no matter if they're good or not they're just PURELY entertaining. Maybe I'll like them, maybe I won't but it won't in any way make me a more knowledgeable person. I have seen a lot of blockbusters in the past, and even if I like some I'm usually not attracted by those movies which is why I never felt the need to watch LOTR. We can't all have the same tastes.

I am sorry but I just prefer intelligent movies movies that make me think than those movies.

You actually clearly said that htown and I should watch more movies, which means that, in your opinion, we don't watch enough movies and are therefore not knowledgeable. Not only that but you also said it again in that post when you said " IDK how you can say you're knowledgeable when it comes to movies and you haven't seen the defining film series of the past decade". So yes you said it and even keep saying it.

I am sorry but I have watched a lot of movies, and not only american movies but a freaking lot of movies from all over the world (that's right a lot of Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French obviously, Italian, English, Iranian, etc... movies), a lot of old, a lot of recent movies and I don't know very few people who have watched the same movies as I do. So trust me I have a very good knowledge and I'm sure that I know movies that you haven't even heard about.

The only thing I agree with is that I should at least try to watch those movies, as I told dash. But watching them wouldn't make me more knowledgeable in any way. Cause no matter if they're good or not they're just PURELY entertaining. Maybe I'll like them, maybe I won't but it won't in any way make me a more knowledgeable person. I have seen a lot of blockbusters in the past, and even if I like some I'm usually not attracted by those movies which is why I never felt the need to watch LOTR. We can't all have the same tastes.

I am sorry but I just prefer intelligent movies movies that make me think than those movies.

I agree with you 100%, some of my favorite movies have been movies that I didn't nec enjoy but I loved the movie because it pushed a line or it brought up a concept or a thought. Shutter Island is an example, still a blockbuster but makes ya think.

• Like 1

Just because LOTR is a blockbuster doesn't mean it is bad. You are insinuating that smaller movies are better because they usually have better storylines, which for the most part, can be true. However, LOTR didn't just win a best picture award for being a blockbuster. Most blockbusters don't win that award, because they are not that great of movies in comparison to some. You are judging something you haven't even tried. I'm going to say all of your movies don't interest me at all even though I haven't given them a shot. you don't know if you like something UNTIL you try it.

Edited by Lkr

I'm actually not judging it, I never said that it was bad... I said that I usually don't like blockbusters for the reasons I gave and that is why I have not seen that movie yet. But I did not say that it was a bad one, I can't say that as I haven't watched it. Here's what I said :

The only thing I agree with is that I should at least try to watch those movies, as I told dash.

So you can see for yourself that I agree that I should at least try to watch it. Which I will certainly do one of these days (I don't know when though cause I'm quite busy right now), I'll give it a shot at least.