Oden Still in Portland's Long Term Plans

Don't write the obituary on Greg Oden's Trail Blazers career just yet.

Portland Trail Blazers president Larry Miller on Thursday said the franchise has not given up on the oft-injured center, and that he foresees the team making an $8.8 million qualifying offer this summer in order to retain his restricted free agent rights.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/11/blazers_president_larry_miller.html

Oden should sign there for a 1 year minimum contract, or a reasonably sized contract, for example the size of this current season. He owes it to the organization. It'd be bull[expletive] if he forced their hand by making them possibly have to match a contract some other stupid team might offer.

I think $8.8 million is going to be hard for other teams to match. I'm sure most teams aren't going to be willing to offer a $10 million contract to someone they haven't seen play in the NBA for more than 20 or so games. Well at least I probably wouldn't.

Why not? The kid still has loads of talent, and during those few games that he was completely healthy you could see that he could become a very good center for Portland. Yes, he's been injured way to much, but why give up on him right now? He's still very very young, and has a few years to get stronger, and hopefully get better and stay healthy for his career. I'm guessing he's getting hurt because of how young he is, and how much he grew and his body is still getting used to it. Good move by Portland to come out and support their young center.

A one year deal isn't exactly long-term but I didn't think Portland would give up on him so easily, they did invest a #1 pick in him and they passed on arguably one of the best scorers in the league.