Oberto Agrees To Join Wizards

I just hung up the phone with Fabricio Oberto's agent, Herb Rudoy, who informed me that his client has agreed to sign with the Washington Wizards. I spoke with Rudoy earlier today and he told me that Oberto was "very interested" and would make a decision by early next week, but Oberto apparently only needed a few more hours. He informed Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld of his intentions a few moments ago.

Oberto called Rudoy to tell him that he was going to join the Wizards. Oberto provides a veteran big man who can play either power forward for center. I asked Rudoy what pushed Oberto toward the Wizards and he said Oberto "thinks they have a chance to have a terrific team. He analyzed the teams that were interested in him and he felt that in Washington, one, he had a good chance to play, two, they have a new, experienced coach and they have terrific players, which is what he was used to in San Antonio. He figured it out. He thinks it is a great opportunity for him to continue winning."

Oberto chose the Wizards over Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Sacramento and the Lakers. He was hopeful for a return to San Antonio, where he spent his first four seasons, but the Spurs signed veteran center Theo Ratliff on Thursday.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/07/oberto_agrees_to_join_wizards.html?wprss=wizardsinsider

No need to re-sign Etan Thomas now. All 3 centers have a different kind of role which is really good and they can split the rotation a lot and it will depend on the kind of team they will play against as well, good signing.

Yo calm down Matt. He's our 3rd string center...haha

Not necessarily. Depending on the performance on Blatche, Haywood, and McGee, his minutes could go way up if they are all really inconsistent. I hope that doesn't happen but if it does Oberto can jump in and rebound with force.

And why does everyone think we can re-sign Etan...? He was traded. :blink:

I don't know I was in a really good mood already that day haha. Now that I look at it he's just a solid backup. But I've always liked Oberto, so it's cool to see him on our team. I don't really care that much anymore haha but trust me that day of mine was just great.

Yeah...I can tell.

I mean he's a good aggressive player to have on a team. That's what I like most about him. Him and Brendan are going to kick LeBron's [expletive].

He's also a smart flopper. He can draw a lot of charges from elite big men in the post when he's in there. I can see his minutes going up as Blatche's inconsistency continues.

im not really a big fan of oberto, but im not against this signing. i would hate this signing if rasclot was still our head coach because he'd probably play oberto 20 minutes a game and have mcgee on the bench. as long as oberto can come in and make heady plays, defend, rebounds, and take chargers im all for him on the team.i can't really complain, washington has had some really [expletive]ty backup/centers for a while now like ruffin,booth, white, brown, etc..

What's wrong with Oberto? He was clearly one of the best available big men willing to sign for the veteran's minimum in the entire free agency. He has a ton of playoff experience, as well as championship experience. With his winning attitude on the team, despite not being a major impact, he can definitely rub off on the other players on our roster.

the oberto deal is a good one, im not disagreeing with it, especially in a perfect situation in which haywood doesn't get hurt. but what if haywood goes down for 10 games and all we have left at center are mcgee(pushed around a lot because of his frame) and oberto as options for center. i doubt obi would be able to step up and fill haywood's shoes as a true center. i don't feel it was the best big guy we could have gotten(really wanted wilcox), but its decent.

but hey i wasn't really a big fan of javale mcgee before the season started last year, and now he's one of my favorites players. oberto may turn out to be a heaven sent, but im not banking on it....