What kind of player would you rather have on your team?

Riot

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Give me the 24 PPG scorer any time. Like someone earlier said, he'd put you up and you would be able to rely on defense, and the rest of your team to finish the game off. The 5 PPG guy would be more likely to make a comeback in the last few minutes and come up short. There's no way you would win games with a player like that.

Well it depends on what kind of teammates he has... If I have a team of defenders or a team with only one star I would pick the 24 PPG guy but if I have already a lot of scorers I would pick the 5 PPG guy for sure. His skills in the clutch would definitely be more useful to me than another scorer then.

• Like 4

Well it depends on what kind of teammates he has... If I have a team of defenders or a team with only one star I would pick the 24 PPG guy but if I have already a lot of scorers I would pick the 5 PPG guy for sure. His skills in the clutch would definitely be more useful to me than another scorer then.

Exactly! +1

Edited by ChosenOne

It honestly depends on the situation and who is surrounding these players. Would I rather have a Tracy Mcgrady or a Derek Fisher? Give me Fish Face any day of the week. I would much rather have Fishers clutch play in close games, than Mcgrady choking when it counts. (I think these two players are a fair comparison on the description given).

Edited by Finch23

• Owner

If you're relying on that 5 PPG player every game, down the stretch, you should start looking at your entire team as the problem.

Give me the guy that can drop 20+ in a game.

Does the situation matter? I don't know...because if you say you want a 5 PPG scorer if you already have a couple of 20s, you have more problems than just needing a clutch player, so it's not going to matter.

Ask yourself this: did the Lakers need Derek Fisher to win their championships? Not necessarily. For all of the big shots he has hit, he's been part of the reason why we needed him to hit those big shots in the first place, because of his horrible defense and his missed shots earlier in the game.

It honestly depends on the situation and who is surrounding these players. Would I rather have a Tracy Mcgrady or a Derek Fisher? Give me Fish Face any day of the week. I would much rather have Fishers clutch play in close games, than Mcgrady choking when it counts. (I think these two players are a fair comparison on the description given).

Explain to me how T-Mac choked when it counts, or choked so bad to where you'd take Fisher over him. T-Mac's career post-season numbers are something along the lines of 28/7/6. In his last playoff game he scored 40pts, but his teammates failed him, which was common in his post-season career. From '03-'08 he hit 9 game-winners and was 8-8 on GW FT attempts. According to 82games, in 06-07 he was actually one of the better clutch performers in the league.

And it's especially funny that a Spurs fan would say that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceLlz7dOOvY

Purely in a maths point of view, that's a 19 point difference. From a basketball point of view, that's 19 points more in a game scored. If ''crunch'' time refers to like the last 3-4 minutes or so, I'll take that 19 point lead going in instead of getting a 5 point advantage in the final minutes.

Explain to me how T-Mac choked when it counts, or choked so bad to where you'd take Fisher over him. T-Mac's career post-season numbers are something along the lines of 28/7/6. In his last playoff game he scored 40pts, but his teammates failed him, which was common in his post-season career. From '03-'08 he hit 9 game-winners and was 8-8 on GW FT attempts. According to 82games, in 06-07 he was actually one of the better clutch performers in the league.

And it's especially funny that a Spurs fan would say that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceLlz7dOOvY

December championships FTW!!!!! ;)

Ok well like I said it all depends on the situation on which player you take, in my post I should of made it clear that i was talking about the Spurs. Your'e right Mcgrady did put up some solid stats in the playoffs. Mcgrady was a regular season hero when healthy (Half-man, Half A season), but when it came down to "the big game" he would shoot his team to death. I remember very well the game 7 in Dallas after the Rockets had a 2-0 lead. Mcgrady still had like 25 points or something like that but he shot it like 25+ times. Most of those attempts were bad and ill advised. Yao actually played pretty well in that game as I recall as well. Or how about his 7-24 shooting night when he was with the Magic against Detroit (also game 7). He had 21 points but again it was the same story, he shot his team in the foot with bad shots. Flashforward one year against Utah, Rockets lead 2-0. (Game 3) Mcgrady shot 9-23, I won't blame him too much because his bench sucked that game. Game 4.... Mcgrady 6-19 shooting. game 6..... Mcgrady 8-23 shooting. You can blame the supporting cast I guess, but when games really mattered and the Rockets needed a win T-Mac would have a bad shooting night. It's not like it's a fluke either, it happened almost every year. There is a reason this guy has never been out of the first round.

On the other hand Derek Fisher may have played with some of the all time greats, but when his team needed a big time shot he would come through regardless if it was in the regular season, or in a crucial game in the playoffs.

I remember very well the game 7 in Dallas after the Rockets had a 2-0 lead. Mcgrady still had like 25 points or something like that but he shot it like 25+ times.

Game 7 was a 40pt blowout. And don't forget those first two games T-Mac played out of his mind, including hitting the GW shot in Game 2 with about 2 seconds left. In Game 3, he had 28/9/6 on 10-23 shooting. In Game 4, he had 36/6/5 on 13-26 shooting...both games were losses. That series the Rockets were the underdogs and were missing their 3rd or 4th best player, Juwan Howard, the entire series.

Or how about his 7-24 shooting night when he was with the Magic against Detroit (also game 7). He had 21 points but again it was the same story, he shot his team in the foot with bad shots.

Once again, T-Mac played out of his mind the first few games to give his team a fighting chance against the #1 seed in the East. Then the Pistons switched Prince over to T-Mac in Game 3 or 4, and like Kobe a year later, it gave T-Mac problems. However, he still had 37/11/5 in Game 6, but his team still lost.

Flashforward one year against Utah, Rockets lead 2-0. (Game 3) Mcgrady shot 9-23, I won't blame him too much because his bench sucked that game. Game 4.... Mcgrady 6-19 shooting. game 6..... Mcgrady 8-23 shooting.

Way to ignore his Game 7, where he had 29pts/13ast/5reb, just 2 TO's, and shot 12-25 from the field. Or the following year in the series-deciding Game 6 where he dropped 40/10/5 on 13-26 shooting and his team was still blown out.

You can blame the supporting cast I guess, but when games really mattered and the Rockets needed a win T-Mac would have a bad shooting night. It's not like it's a fluke either, it happened almost every year.

T-Mac was a streak scorer, so yes, he would have bad games here and there. But he still filled up the stat sheet in other places, still managed to get his points, and always kept his teams in the series.

There is a reason this guy has never been out of the first round.

Teammates. Period. I can pull out a number of series' from Kobe, AI, Pierce, Wade and others where they played about average, or below average (including in series clinching games) and still won the series. T-Mac wasn't perfect, but he still played well in every series he's been in.

On the other hand Derek Fisher may have played with some of the all time greats, but when his team needed a big time shot he would come through regardless if it was in the regular season, or in a crucial game in the playoffs.

Put Fisher on those Magic and Rockets teams and they don't even sniff the playoffs.

I'm really not trying to argue that Fisher is a better player over Mcgrady because that is asinine, what I am trying to say is that from what I saw and remember in big games on the road Mcgrady shot his team to a loss. Kobe, AI, Pierce, Duncan ETC all have bad shooting nights IN the PO's but it seemed like T-Mac was a guarantee to have at least 2 games in the post season where IMo he cost the Rockets/Magic the game with his shooting and or other mistakes.

Maybe i'll go back and try to watch some of these games and try and re-evaluate my opinion......