A RB or a WR?

Real Deal

With an average QB and offensive line...  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Elite WR's are harder to find IMO. You see a lot of top backs drafted in the later rounds. Look at how great a force Bradshaw and Jacobs were in the Giants SB run a few years ago. 7th and 4th round draft picks...

It really depends on a lot of things.

A running back-by-committee can be very effective behind a good ZBS O Line. A #1 WR can be effective even when the OL isn't playing great.

Taking into account the landscape of the NFL (a more passing league now) along with teams like the Redskins and Browns, I think a WR is a more valuable commodity. Serviceable HB's can be found anywhere, especially in a system like Shanahan's who has a proven track record of turning average HB's into stars. I still believe a good Oline is the hardest to acquire commodity in the NFL, but WR's are right behind them.

Plus, who was the last elite "feature back" to win a Super Bowl or a Super Bowl MVP? Jamal Lewis? Marshall Faulk?

An elite WR stretches the field, takes the safety out of the box, helps QB's perform better (young or old), and typically have longer, more productive careers than RB's.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

It's too dependent on the surrounding parts of a team. However, I am leaning towards an elite WR, mainly because teams have had success using a multiple HB system.

For example, if the Patriots had an elite HB last year, I don't think it would have made a world of difference, but if they had that game-breaking elite WR do split the defense, I think they would have gone deeper in the playoffs.

However, Adrian Peterson would be the only exception to my feelings on this topic.

It's too dependent on the surrounding parts of a team. However, I am leaning towards an elite WR, mainly because teams have had success using a multiple HB system.

For example, if the Patriots had an elite HB last year, I don't think it would have made a world of difference, but if they had that game-breaking elite WR do split the defense, I think they would have gone deeper in the playoffs.

However, Adrian Peterson would be the only exception to my feelings on this topic.

The Law Firm is pretty damn good though.

If I have an average QB I might want a nice possession TE before either. Both spots you can find value in later rounds and an average QB needs a safety valve if his receivers can't get off. Running backs seem to have a small shelf life as well. If I have to choose one, it'd be a WR.

Edited by BasX

I would rather want an elite RB. Teams with elite RB's haven't won a super bowl but I think it would be easier to build around a HB than a WR. Teams that are successful have an elite QB without an elite HB like Manning, Rodgers, Brady, or Brees for example. So I would base my decision off of how good my QB is which in this case is average, so I would go with an elite HB. But if I had an elite QB, I would go with a WR.

• Like 1

If I have an average QB I might want a nice possession TE before either. Both spots you can find value in later rounds and an average QB needs a safety valve if his receivers can't get off. Running backs seem to have a small shelf life as well. If I have to choose one, it'd be a WR.

The length of of careers for elite HB's is one of the main factors that makes me choose the WR.