Stein: Raptors Planning to Trade Stojakovic Before Deadline

The overwhelming sense in Toronto, according to multiple parties consulted, is that Peja Stojakovic is more likely to leave the Raptors by trade rather than buyout before the deadline.

At least that's the Raps' plan.

Yet if no follow-up swap materializes before Feb. 24 involving Stojakovic's $15 million expiring contract, he's a virtual lock to be bought out by the Raps before March 1, which would enable Peja to take his forever-dangerous J -- Dallas watched him ring up a quick 17 points in just 19 minutes this month -- to the contender of his choosing for the stretch run.

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo has already publicly acknowledged the buyout scenario and left the clear impression that he'll work with Stojakovic on a mutually beneficial parting when the time comes. One of the likely reasons: Without Stojakovic's cooperation in waiving $437,470 of a $1,215,953 trade kicker to make the salary-cap math work in the deal with New Orleans co-headlined by Jarrett Jack, Toronto couldn't have completed a trade that brought young Jerryd Bayless to Canada ... and finally rid the Raptors of Marcus Banks.

The Serbian sharpshooter, furthermore, is determined to stay in the NBA for two or three more seasons after this one, according to agent David Baumann, despite the persistent wishful thinking from European teams about luring the 33-year-old back to their shores.

And a buyout, frankly, is possible even if Peja gets traded again, depending on the state of the team that acquires him. It's not hard to imagine a few of the top teams trying to woo him in March when veteran shooters and big men who become in-season free agents are hot commodities.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101126-28/latest-trade-chatter

No big surprise here as you could tell from interviews after the trade that Peja wasn't in the Raptors plans. Whether it was Colangelo, Triano or Stojakovic talking, you could tell that he isn't in Toronto for the long haul.

Hopefully they can get some kind of decent young asset in return for him. I'd hate to see them flip his expiring for an overpriced veteran.

Here is yet another place where I see the Pacers being interested. With O'Briens love for outside shooting, and having had him in Indiana before, I think you could see the Pacers show some interest. How much interest would Toronto have in Dahntay Jones? Any at all? Before I say what I'm thinking, I want to know what Raptors fans think about Jones.

Here is yet another place where I see the Pacers being interested. With O'Briens love for outside shooting, and having had him in Indiana before, I think you could see the Pacers show some interest. How much interest would Toronto have in Dahntay Jones? Any at all? Before I say what I'm thinking, I want to know what Raptors fans think about Jones.

None at all. They already have DeRozan, Weems, Kleiza, Barbosa, Wright and even Bayless who can play either the 2 or the 3 spot. All of these guys are going to be in Toronto for at least another year as well, other than Julian Wright (I'd imagine Weems will re-sign with the team). The Raptors would have no use for him.

Really, I don't see anything on the Pacers that the Raptors would like outside of players who are clearly not leaving form somebody like Stojakovic (Granger, Hibbert and Collison).

None at all. They already have DeRozan, Weems, Kleiza, Barbosa, Wright and even Bayless who can play either the 2 or the 3 spot. All of these guys are going to be in Toronto for at least another year as well, other than Julian Wright (I'd imagine Weems will re-sign with the team). The Raptors would have no use for him.

Really, I don't see anything on the Pacers that the Raptors would like outside of players who are clearly not leaving form somebody like Stojakovic (Granger, Hibbert and Collison).

Really? I think they'd be interested in a player like Josh McRoberts. If Indiana could acquire a player that would give them some cash, and a good player during this season and offseason, I think they'd be willing to move McRoberts. Sure, that would leave them kind of thin up front, but still, I think they'd be interested in that kind of a trade.

Really? I think they'd be interested in a player like Josh McRoberts. If Indiana could acquire a player that would give them some cash, and a good player during this season and offseason, I think they'd be willing to move McRoberts. Sure, that would leave them kind of thin up front, but still, I think they'd be interested in that kind of a trade.

They already have Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Reggie Evans and Joey Dorsey at the 4. You can also add in Andrea Bargnani as they have made it well known that they want to acquire a legit center so that he can move the 4. Why would they want another power forward, especially one that doesn't really have a high ceiling like McRoberts?

I'd be shocked if the Raptors traded for somebody like McRoberts or Hansbrough unless they were the secondary asset in a return and the Raptors were getting a pick or something out of it, which nobody is going to give up for Peja, unless some team is absolutely desperate to get out of a long term deal.

Honestly, the only position I can see them making a trade for is a center or maybe a point guard, depending on how Bayless looks from now until the deadline (or if Calderon is moved). It doesn't make sense to trade Stojakovic for a 2, 3 or 4 because they are already loaded at those positions as it is. They would probably just be better off letting his contract expire (or buying him out) and just using the extra cap space.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101126-28/latest-trade-chatter

No big surprise here as you could tell from interviews after the trade that Peja wasn't in the Raptors plans. Whether it was Colangelo, Triano or Stojakovic talking, you could tell that he isn't in Toronto for the long haul.

Hopefully they can get some kind of decent young asset in return for him. I'd hate to see them flip his expiring for an overpriced veteran.

I think it really depends on what position the Raptors are in come February. If their playoffs hopes are looking bleak then the Raptors may go with the young asset, if they're in the playoff picture then Colangelo goes with the pricey veteran. Or it could be someone in the middle like Andre Iguodala. Not likely to happen but he may be Colangelo's number one target right now imo.

I think it really depends on what position the Raptors are in come February. If their playoffs hopes are looking bleak then the Raptors may go with the young asset, if they're in the playoff picture then Colangelo goes with the pricey veteran. Or it could be someone in the middle like Andre Iguodala. Not likely to happen but he may be Colangelo's number one target right now imo.

The Raptors could be in 15th place in the East or 7th place in the East in February and I would hate to see them flip Stojakovic's deal for an overpriced veteran. Even if they do manage to get into the playoffs, is somebody like Andre Iguodala really worth destroying all of the cap flexibility that you have created over the past year? I sure as hell don't think so as it is pretty clear that he wouldn't be enough to get the Raptors a series win and I am a huge fan of Iguodala's game.

Regardless of where the Raptors are in the standings, they need to stand firm with their rebuilding plan. Colangelo has been going for quick fixes ever since he got to Toronto (O'Neal, Marion, Turkoglu, Parker, Garbajosa etc...) and it has clearly not worked out for him. All it has done is created a fringe playoff team who has consistently been capped out and consistently been picking at the bottom of the lottery/mid first round (if he hadn't already traded their pick). Having this team become another Atlanta or Houston, teams who are good enough to never get a good pick, but never good enough to contend for a title, doesn't do anybody any good.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I do believe that the organization is committed to rebuilding now that they don’t have Chris Bosh. They have the TPE and they have Peja’s expiring contract which will give them cap flexibility which is very important while rebuilding. I know Bryan is very smart in managing that. At the trade deadline if there is an opportunity to get young talent back I fully expect Bryan to make that move.

If the Raptor are going to trade Peja they really need to give him playing time to showcase himself and prove to the rest of the league that he is valuable and probably can help a team contending for a championship which ultimately will net the Raptors some assets in return.

Edited by headliner

If the Raptor are going to trade Peja they really need to give him playing time to showcase himself and prove to the rest of the league that he is valuable and probable can help a team contending for a championship which ultimately will net the Raptors some assets in return.

I honestly don't even think the Raptors really need to showcase Peja. He has been in the league for 10+ years and everybody knows what he is capable of doing. The rest of the league knows that he is still a knock down shooter and a valuable asset as a floor spacer. Showcasing him isn't going to make them think any more highly of him.

I understand the thought process, but I'm under the assumption that the rest of the league is still completely aware of what Peja can do and him playing 20-30 minutes a night won't hurt or help his value. I could be wrong, though.

I don't see what we could trade that size of contract for that isn't a hindrance to our team.

It depends on where teams like Houston, Utah and other tax teams are at when the deadline rolls around. If they are out of the playoff hunt and don't want to pay the tax, I could see them making a trade to get them blow the tax. Take Utah for example. They would trade Kirilenko for Stojakovic, which gets them under the tax and, because of their desperatin to get under the tax, they will send a first or something like that to Toronto (protections will obviously be on it).

Those are really the situations that I see unfolding. I don't really see any other possible scenarios because, like you said, his contract is too big.

I honestly don't even think the Raptors really need to showcase Peja. He has been in the league for 10+ years and everybody knows what he is capable of doing. The rest of the league knows that he is still a knock down shooter and a valuable asset as a floor spacer. Showcasing him isn't going to make them think any more highly of him.

Most leagues are “What can you do for me now”, unless your rebuilding. I understand that he has been in this league a long time for the rest of the league to know what he is capable of but he is not 22. It’s just a matter of reassuring the rest of the league and ultimately it will benefit the Raptors if they manage to get some assets in return for him. That’s why I think it’s important that Peja has an opportunity to showcase himself.

Edited by headliner

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would bump this thread because as of tomorrow the Raptors are able to package Stojakovic with another play as the 60 day trade restriction is over.

With him having such a large contract, I don't really see any trade getting completed before the deadline. I think that a buyout is much more likely than a trade, but who knows.

I think we only held onto him because we were close to the playoffs. If we were on the brink of a playoff spot I wouldn't be surprised if he was used as trade bait. But with BC already out scouting (according to Devlin), it seems he has realized what we are going to be doing once the snow melts, and it doesn't involve playoff basketball. I also expect him to be bought out.