LeBron Hopes Cavs Will Retire His Jersey

Legacy

Cleveland fans aren't just mad at the way he left (The Decision, not giving any indication before he announced it), they are mad because of things like this:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2dw7qth.jpg

...and the fact that he supported every move Gilbert made through trades and free agency. He wanted Jamison. He wanted Shaq. That roster was built for him to average 30/8/8 and win 60 games or more, due to his production and their team defense and shooting abilities. Put shooters and defenders around the superstar slasher.

Yeah, the Cavs are worse without him. Why? Because he never gave Gilbert a chance to put him on the block before he announced his decision to go to Miami. I understand he wanted to say where he was going to go...but he could've done that while giving back, also. Instead, AFTER he makes his decision to go, the Heat give up the cash and picks to get him...which gives the Cavs less. They could've had Beasley, at least.

While he had the right to do it, he didn't have to. He could've given back. Gilbert, and the fans, helped make LeBron one of the biggest superstars in NBA history. It wasn't all just James. And it wasn't until the final second, before the Decision, that it all turned sour...so he could've done it all differently.

So because he decided to make his decision privately without anyone knowing, that's erases all the records he broke and all the wins he racked up as a Cav? Like I said, Cleveland can be mad at him, but they can't act like he didn't lead them to the finals and basically reinvented basketball in that city.

And let's not act like acquiring Jamison and Shaq were blockbuster moves either. Gilbert knew when getting Jamison you would be adding a completely different piece to the puzzle. Yeah he is a good shooter, but what did he bring on defense? Isn't Jamison known for being an undersized, soft PF? Hell, LeBron himself could play the 4 position better than Jamison can.. And bringing in a 35 year old Shaq isn't going to get you past the Celtics, they should have known that. This is a league filled with superstars, unless you have multiple stars on your team, you will not win a championship. It's been like that for the past few years.

• Owner

So because he decided to make his decision privately without anyone knowing, that's erases all the records he broke and all the wins he racked up as a Cav? Like I said, Cleveland can be mad at him, but they can't act like he didn't lead them to the finals and basically reinvented basketball in that city.

Two 60-win seasons and one trip to the NBA Finals (that resulted in a sweep and a bad performance by James) will be negated by the 10+ mediocre-to-bad seasons they will endure ahead...not to mention the fact that Cleveland is a city that has been screwed over like this before.

It almost sounds like you're defending The Decision now, doesn't it? Not a single person I know, even Heat fans themselves, defend it...and the biggest reason was because he led the organization (and the fans) to believe that he was going to return, and he did so for years. There's more to it than just him leaving.

And let's not act like acquiring Jamison and Shaq were blockbuster moves either. Gilbert knew when getting Jamison you would be adding a completely different piece to the puzzle. Yeah he is a good shooter, but what did he bring on defense? Isn't Jamison known for being an undersized, soft PF? Hell, LeBron himself could play the 4 position better than Jamison can.. And bringing in a 35 year old Shaq isn't going to get you past the Celtics, they should have known that. This is a league filled with superstars, unless you have multiple stars on your team, you will not win a championship. It's been like that for the past few years.

Nobody said they were blockbuster moves. I just find it funny how easy it was for people to defend the Sixers because, to them, the organization gave Iverson two excellent players to work with (Mutombo and Ratliff), even though both were strictly defensive-minded players, and gave AI shooters that could knock down shots here and there...yet, with LeBron, he had no help.

Cleveland was a team. They are 7-10 right now, without James, when most everyone thought they would be the worst in the NBA. Not the best record, but good enough to stick them in the 8th seed in the East today.

You guys can talk about how he had no other all-star teammate to pass the ball to, but when you have 4-5 other guys who can knock down shots by using your strongest basketball ability (driving and penetrating), and you have defensively-talented players that help you defend your man AND don't always require your help defense, it makes life easier, makes you look better, and results in a team getting the job done.

------

The fact is, Cleveland fans have a right to be angry. Irate. Upset. Will they retire his jersey? Probably...and I wouldn't mind it, but there's no point in trying to sugar-coat what happened in July, either, just for the sake of arguing whether or not they should hang #23 in his name.

Yes, they most definitely SHOULD retire his jersey, but it's not going to happen. When he left, he turned everyone in Cleveland, including their management against him. I just can't see it happening given the circumstances. I agree with ABL though, he definitely should get it retired because he single-handedly brought the Cavs to the Finals that one year, and made them one of the best teams for quite a few years.

Two 60-win seasons and one trip to the NBA Finals (that resulted in a sweep and a bad performance by James) will be negated by the 10+ mediocre-to-bad seasons they will endure ahead...not to mention the fact that Cleveland is a city that has been screwed over like this before.

I hate using that logic, because it seems like everyone is blaming LeBron simply because he was drafted by the Cavs and was raised there. He's an NBA player, it's free agency, yeah there are external factors that went along with his decision, but regardless, you gotta give him props for making the better (not best) decision for his career and legacy.

It almost sounds like you're defending The Decision now, doesn't it? Not a single person I know, even Heat fans themselves, defend it...and the biggest reason was because he led the organization (and the fans) to believe that he was going to return, and he did so for years. There's more to it than just him leaving.

If me saying LeBron made the right decision to leave Cleveland is considered supporting "The Decision" then yes, I guess I am because I have been saying it for a long time now.

I absolutely hate the guy, I've hated him since he entered the league, and will never forget those playoff series against the Wiz. I'm just annoyed at the literally insane reactions some people are having.

Nobody said they were blockbuster moves. I just find it funny how easy it was for people to defend the Sixers because, to them, the organization gave Iverson two excellent players to work with (Mutombo and Ratliff), even though both were strictly defensive-minded players, and gave AI shooters that could knock down shots here and there...yet, with LeBron, he had no help.

No one is saying he had no help, I hate hearing that as well. BUT, would a guy like LeBron (desperate for rings) seriously pass up on an opportunity to play with Boozer/Rose or Wade/Bosh for Mo Williams/Antawn Jamison? Come on..

Last years Cavs squad was great, I'm not refuting that, but did anyone seriously expect them to get past the Celtics/Magic/Lakers?

I think what most people are overlooking in the Heat situation is that this is what you call a ripple effect of the Boston deal two years ago. LeBron knows how teams are stacking up, he see's a dynamic duo in L.A. and one of the greatest trio's ever in Boston. He wasn't going to stay loyal for long, hence all the talk that "if Cleveland loses in the playoffs, LeBron will leave."

Cleveland was a team. They are 7-10 right now, without James, when most everyone thought they would be the worst in the NBA. Not the best record, but good enough to stick them in the 8th seed in the East today.

I think it's safe to say had LeBron stayed, they would still reach their full potential, a top 4 seed in the East and a second round exit to one of the power houses (ORL or BOS).

You guys can talk about how he had no other all-star teammate to pass the ball to, but when you have 4-5 other guys who can knock down shots by using your strongest basketball ability (driving and penetrating), and you have defensively-talented players that help you defend your man AND don't always require your help defense, it makes life easier, makes you look better, and results in a team getting the job done.

Like I said, that strategy can only go so far. When defenses realize all you need to do is force LBJ out of the paint, it puts a ton of pressure on him. Will Mo step up and become a true second fiddle? No. Will Jamison? No.

Whether his elbow was hurt or not in the playoffs, the C's were going to put pressure on him to make jumpshots just like they always do when they meet up with the Cavs. The C's will live like they always have with LBJ shooting J's all night. And LeBron knows he's under pressure to make these jumpshots because the C's will foul him when he drives, and then the same pressure applies at the free throw line.

He knows he won't beat a team like the Celtics or Lakers without having a reliable second fiddle.

The fact is, Cleveland fans have a right to be angry. Irate. Upset. Will they retire his jersey? Probably...and I wouldn't mind it, but there's no point in trying to sugar-coat what happened in July, either, just for the sake of arguing whether or not they should hang #23 in his name.

I agree, they do have a right to be angry, bitter, whatever you want to call it. But neglecting everything the man did the past 7 years is what annoys me.