Gilbert probing Heat's signing of LeBron

• Owner

Uh oh.

CLEVELAND – The Cleveland Cavaliers have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into a high-powered Midwestern law firm to investigate their suspicions that the Miami Heat broke NBA tampering rules while pursuing LeBron James(notes), and owner Dan Gilbert has privately vowed he won’t relent until he has a thick binder of findings to drop on the desk of the NBA commissioner, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The NBA won’t launch an investigation into a tampering case without a formal request from a team, but sources say Gilbert’s plan is to give commissioner David Stern a detailed case that includes meetings, phone calls and contingency plans that date as far back as 2008. Gilbert will implore Stern to use his powers as commissioner to get access to phone records and testimony of key people surrounding Heat president Pat Riley, James and others potentially involved.

Read more here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-gilbertlebron120110

Let it go Dan Gilbert let it go. LeBron would find some other way to land with Dwyane Wade and Bosh anyways.

Probably true, but if there was tampering involved, which lets be realistic, there probably was, why not expose it?

There are so many things that make you believe that there was in fact tampering invovled in these three getting together. From James' body language and seemingly quitting in the playoffs, Bosh's attitue and play post All-Star break, comments about how they've been waiting "months" for this to happen and all of the speculation that this was all set in motion during the 08 Olympics (and that is just what we as fans are aware of, who knows what happened behind the scenes).

I don't see anything wrong with him investigating the possibility of tampering here and I think good on him for exposing it, should he find anything.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Probably true, but if there was tampering involved, which lets be realistic, there probably was, why not expose it?

There are so many things that make you believe that there was in fact tampering invovled in these three getting together. From James' body language and seemingly quitting in the playoffs, Bosh's attitue and play post All-Star break, comments about how they've been waiting "months" for this to happen and all of the speculation that this was all set in motion during the 08 Olympics (and that is just what we as fans are aware of, who knows what happened behind the scenes).

I don't see anything wrong with him investigating the possibility of tampering here and I think good on him for exposing it, should he find anything.

oh, there was definitely tampering. remember in 2006, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh each signed three-year deals with player options for the fourth year? that should be a red flag right there. they could have taken the five-year max deal like Melo, but they each took the same three-year deal. these guys have played together in the Olympics and on All-Star teams. people can't honestly believe they've never discussed the idea of playing together. my point, though, is who cares? tampering shouldn't even be disallowed in the first place.

• Owner

I don't think he's trying to get LeBron in trouble. I think the idea is to get Miami in trouble.

And if that's the case, there's a chance they will lose their draft picks for a few years (or whenever they have first-rounders, because they probably traded them off, don't remember), and get a hefty fine on top of that.

what would happen if there was evidence of tampering?

I think the worst case scenario is that the signings are voided and Miami there draft picks (starting 2013 or 14 since they traded the rest to Toronto/Cleveland) much like the situation with Joe Smith and Minnesota.

Anyways I'd actually be in full support of this investigation if Dan Gilbert wasn't the one heading it. The guy can't get over the fact that he got dumped (on national television).