Wallace Returns To Detroit With 1-Year Deal

Shortly after the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic to the Phoenix Suns for Shaquille O'Neal last month, it was speculated once Wallace took a buyout, and if he didn't retire, that he would return to either the Cavaliers or the Detroit Pistons.

Wallace took a $10 million buyout from the Suns. He left $4 million on table.

Well, rumors have circulated that Wallace, who had his best years as a pro in Detroit, will sign a one-year deal with the Pistons.

A healthy Wallace would be a valuable asset for the Cavaliers off the bench. His toughness is needed in the Cavaliers lineup. But it appears that Wallace's toughness will return to Detroit.

Sekou Smith wrote in a blog for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that "one of my best spies up north insists that it's just a matter of time before Wallace returns to the Pistons."

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2009/07/big_ben_wallace_will_return_to.html

Edited by The Goods

Even though I absolutely hated Big Ben as a Piston it'll be nice to see him retire there where he left his mark on the game.

True. And I will buy his jersey, put it in a frame and call it good, but it is a bad move for the Pistons for what they want to do with their roster.

True. And I will buy his jersey, put it in a frame and call it good, but it is a bad move for the Pistons for what they want to do with their roster.

I agree it doesnt really make sense for their roster, unless they feel big ben can teach Charlie V basic defence. He should be a vocal leader if nothing else

• 2 weeks later...

Wallace Returns To Detroit With 1-Year Deal

The Pistons have agreed to terms with Ben Wallace to a one-year deal worth $1.3 million.

The former Defensive Player of the Year is expected to sign the deal next week.

Wallace was a fixture with the Pistons from 2000-06, but will be expected to contribute sparingly next season.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61023/20090807/wallace_returns_to_detroit_with_1_year_deal/

Good signing for the Pistons since they are thin at the 5. Sad to hear for the Hawks. That only leaves Joe Smith as a target.

Lol that's a good thing for Hawks fans.

Ben Wallace is much worse than Joe Smith and was useless for the Cavs last year. He had too many injury problems. Joe would help ATL alot more.

Big Ben won't do much if at all if he's injured for Detroit. it'll draw in a few more fans is all.

I guess I lost some respect for him for no reason. Looking back, I was trying to think positively from a bad situation we were in during the playoffs.

He was a huge letdown last season and just got injured a lot. Also the missed free throws ticked me off.

I doubt this was anything but a move to allow Big Ben to retire with the Franchise that gave him his opportunity in the pro's.

Opportunity? He had a ton of success in Detroit, but his opportunity was provided by Washington when they signed him as an undrafted rookie. ;)

But my smartass comment aside, I see where you're going with this, I'm sure he wants to retire with the team he succeeded the most with.