DeMar DeRozan

DeMar DeRozan

http://www.celticstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/demar-derozan-toronto-raptors.jpg

Bio

Height: 6-7

Weight: 220

Born: August 7th, 1989

College: USC

Averages

12.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 46.3 FG%, 12.4 PER in 30.6 minutes

Edited by Built Ford Tough

December 1, 2010 vs. Washington

Stats

20 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists on 7/11 FG and 5-7 FT in 28:11

Hightlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw4MsEIApuc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8WBtMBZKM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9aeMg19N4M&feature=player_embedded

I don't get why Derozan is such a [expletive]ty shooter, his mechanics seem pretty solid. I think he just needs to be given the green light to take more shots.

What I don't understand is how he went from having a very good mid range game in college to being such an unreliable shooter in the NBA. He scored almost all of his points off of mid range jumpers in college but has been brutal when it comes to shooting the ball in the NBA. He will have games like the one last night where he shows signs of a very solid jumper, but then will put up brick after brick for the next 5 games.

Games like this one are encouraging, though. He was showing very nice touch on his jumper and hit some nice shots curling off of screens and, perhaps most impressive, was he was hitting shots from 20+ feet away from the hoop.

His jumper is the key to his game. When it is on, he usually puts up 15 points at least because it opens up his entire offensive aresenal. He definitely needs to continue to work on that and hopefully develop some consistency with it.

December 3rd, 2010 vs. Oklahoma City

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/multimedia/photo_gallery/1012/gameaction1203/images/120310_550_derozan.jpg

Stats

14 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists on 6/13 shooting.

I've been busy with school projects so I didn't pay enough attention to this game to give a breakdown of the positives and negatives from his game on Friday.

December 5th, 2010 vs. New York

Stats

12 points, 2 steals, 2 assists on 4/8 shooting in 36:06

Thouhgts

DeRozan had an alright game. He was probably the best wing player for the Raptors yesterday, but considering the overall play from the Raptors wings, that isn't saying much. He did a good job of getting to the rim, including one very nice spin move that resulted in a foul on Mozgov, I believe. I thought that he could've got more calls go his way considering the contact that he drew when driving to the hoop, but he hasn't earned the respect of the officials enough to get those borderline calls consistently. I thought it was absurd that Triano benched him in the 4th and gave the shooting guard minutes to Leandro Barbosa instead, considering DeRozan outplayed him by a substantial margin.

Defensively, I thought he was better than usual, which again, isn't saying much because he has been pretty bad defensively this year. I liked when they had him on Danilo Gallinari because his quickness didn't allow Gallo many good looks. However, when he was forced to guard Wilson Chandler or Landry Fields he was abused.

All in all, it wasn't a terrible game from him, but after his last two performances against the Wizards and the Thunder where he reall stood out, this one was kind of disappointing because he sort of just blended in.

• 1 month later...

Over his last 10 games:

21 PPG, 1.1 SPG, 2.2 APG, 52.2 FG% and 82.75% from the FT line.

15.5 shots per game and 5.8 FTPG

Up to 14.8 PPG on the season, I love what we are seeing from this kid lately. Love his attitude too, you can just tell he wants to keep getting better and help this team (until 6 years from now lol).

^^^

To add to your point, his 14.8 ppg makes him the 5th highest scoring sophomore in the NBA, behind Curry (18.6), Jennings (17.9), Evans (17.2) and Mathews (16), but he is attempting only 11.5 shots a game which is 3 less than Curry, 4.3 less than Jennings, 5.2 less than Evans and 1 less than Mathews. His 47.5 FG% is higher than all four of the players ahead of him as well. On top of that, his 5 FTA per game is the most out of all of these players as well.

I honestly think that if he was given the opportunity to put up at least 17 shots a game on a consistent basis like a lot of these guys are, he would be right up there for the lead in sophomore scoring. His efficiency may take a bit of a hit, but I haev no doubt that he would flirt with the 18-19 ppg mark with his ability to draw fouls.