Let's NBA

BasX

Rasho Nesterovic is coming back to his adopted hometown.

The veteran centre, who spent two seasons with the Raptors before being traded to Indiana a year ago, has agreed in principle to a one-year deal worth about $1.9 million (all figures US), the so-called biannual exception to the NBA’s salary cap.

The move comes as little surprise since president and general manager Bryan Colangelo has long held that the 33-year-old 7-footer is exactly the kind of solid veteran the team covets in a second unit role.

The deal also works financially for the Raptors, who retain any financial flexibility they will have at the end of next season.

Nesterovic, who maintained a home in Toronto despite playing in Indiana last year, averaged 6.8 points and 3.4 rebounds a game with the Pacers, starting 19 of the 70 games he appeared in last season.

Coveted by a handful of European teams, Nesterovic made it no secret he wanted to return to the Raptors. He said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that he never wanted to leave but that he understood the business aspects of the NBA that necessitated his inclusion in the trade for Jermaine O’Neal.

His role in Toronto is clear: He will be the backup centre behind Andrea Bargnani and now with he, Bargnani, Chris Bosh, Reggie Evans and Patrick O’Bryant, the Raptors are pretty well set in the front court.

Colangelo has one roster spot left to fill and negotiations continue with former Raptor Carlos Delfino.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

No surprise here, but I still am glad to hear that the move is basically done. I've always been a fan of Rasho since he was a member of the T'Wolves. I just love the way that he approaches the game and think that he is going to be a very good backup center for this team. He could be a great role model for Bargnani.

Still have Miami and Atlanta as the 4/5 seeds. 6-8 should be our target unless we have a season that exceeds my expectations. We might be able to catch 5 [Miami probably] depending on whether or not they get Odom, we'll see. But then again we haven't played a game yet and could win 33 games again for all we know. All I know is we have actual big man depth now, Rasho and Evans are insanely better than Hump and Pops and anyone else who backed up our bigs last year I can't even remember -_-. Maybe we won't get bullied so much on the glass with Evans in there.

I don't think the Raptors are a top 5 team in the NBA, not yet at least. Sure, they made some good moves but t hey did lose a bit this off-season. Plus, theres teams like the Heat and Hawks who are most likely to be taking that 4th and 5th seed.