Alex Smith To Start For 49ers

ChosenOne

Alex Smith is again the starting quarterback of the 49ers, according to an NFL Network report citing a "source close to the situation."

When asked earlier Monday if the 49ers had committed to Troy Smith for the rest of the season, coach Mike Singletary said the position would be revisited every week and that the starter for Sunday's game against Seattle was "yet to be determined."

Troy Smith, the former Heisman Trophy winner from Ohio State, has started five games while Alex Smith recovered from a right-shoulder injury. He is 3-2 and completed 52.4 percent of his passes for 1,023 yards with four touchdowns and three interceptions.

In his past three starts, Troy Smith completed just 46.8 percent of his passes. He completed 10 of 25 passes for 194 yards in a 34-16 loss to Green Bay on Sunday.

"The thing that I've said all along is I want to go with the quarterback that I feel gives us the best chance to win," Singletary said. "And that is a week-to-week thing."

Alex Smith started the first seven games this season before his injury, winning only once.

MercuryNews

Damn just get over this guy already, he is a BUST.

MercuryNews

Damn just get over this guy already, he is a BUST.

I understand the "bust" label, but Aaron Rodgers would have sucked there as well, and that is why Mike McCarthy said he should be happy he wasn't selected by the 49er's because he wouldn't have done any better.

It's not just Alex Smith that hasn't played well. It's the absolutely awful playcalling. THAT is the biggest thing the pisses off every 49er's fan. A lot don't like Smith, but most hate the coaches even more.

Run, run, short pass, punt.

Oh, it's 3rd and 9? That means it's time to run the ball up the middle for the millionth time.

I understand the "bust" label, but Aaron Rodgers would have sucked there as well, and that is why Mike McCarthy said he should be happy he wasn't selected by the 49er's because he wouldn't have done any better.

It's not just Alex Smith that hasn't played well. It's the absolutely awful playcalling. THAT is the biggest thing the pisses off every 49er's fan. A lot don't like Smith, but most hate the coaches even more.

Oh, it's 3rd and 9? That means it's time to run the ball up the middle for the millionth time.

Yeah coaching can be blamed, but I have seen alot of 49ers games with Smith this year living in Reno, and no one can honestly say he is a good QB. He has moments/drives where he plays great but then turns right around and makes terrible decisions and inaccurate throws.

Smith has had what...?

6 diff offensive coordinators?

Yeah, it's tough to have maintained success as an NFL QB without stability in the coaching staff. That being said, a bust is a bust, and I'd say Smith fits that bill.

Bigger bust?

Ryan Leaf or Alex Smith?