Hornets could move to Kansas City

Dash

There is reason to believe that the NBA is looking into the possibility of moving the Hornets to Kansas City, a league source told Sam Amick of FanHouse.The Sprint Center was built in Kansas City just three years ago.The NBA is following through with plans to take ownership of the Hornets, who will become the first team ever to be owned by the league.

Realgm

I would love this move. KC has some great fans and overdo for an NBA franchise.

The fan support will be off the charts. The state has been pressing for another pro basketball team for years (Kansas and Missouri).

Mizzou sells out all of their basketball games so this should be fun :)

• Owner

Mizzou sells out all of their basketball games so this should be fun :)

Well, half of the fanbase will be from Kansas. KC lays in both states.

There's a reason why I absolutely hate the Chiefs. There are so many fans around the area, and I'm in southeast Kansas, hours away from KC.

The state is flooded with Chiefs fans.

Well, half of the fanbase will be from Kansas. KC lays in both states.

There's a reason why I absolutely hate the Chiefs. There are so many fans around the area, and I'm in southeast Kansas, hours away from KC.

The state is flooded with Chiefs fans.

Which is why I've ALWAYS said Midwest has the most DIE HARD fans...

I'm sure the league will do a good job in making sure a good, competitive owner takes over the team. I believe baseball did this with the Montreal Expos and were able to successfully move the team to Washington, a much better market and found an owner who can spend money and support the team.

I'm sure the league will do a good job in making sure a good, competitive owner takes over the team. I believe baseball did this with the Montreal Expos and were able to successfully move the team to Washington, a much better market and found an owner who can spend money and support the team.

The only problem is....

No one goes to Nationals games unless Strasburg is pitching http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Yeah, I've been thinking...

Seattle deserves an NBA team more than KC.

KC can wait for the Kings to come back.

Just to show how bad the New Orleans attendance has been:

2008 - 26th (56 win team)

2009 - 19th

2010 - 23th

2011 - 26th

Pretty bad especially considering they have a winning franchise and a superstar in Chris Paul. New Orleans is a great football town though.

The only problem is....

No one goes to Nationals games unless Strasburg is pitching http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Yeah, I've been thinking...

Seattle deserves an NBA team more than KC.

KC can wait for the Kings to come back.

What? Seattle just had a franchise a few years ago and did a terrible job of supporting it even it was in danger of moving . When was the last time Kansas City had an NBA team again?

Edit: Real beat me to it.

Edited by Dash

• Owner

Again, with the way the fans treated the Sonics despite the fact that they drafted Durant, and considering the fact that the city doesn't have a new area to stick the Hornets in...that idea isn't going to be thrown into the pot for a long, long time. Another team, another day.

Vegas makes sense, but the economy has hit the city harder than most of the other big-name cities in the country.

Kansas City makes the most sense here. Anaheim is another location being discussed, even though California doesn't need another NBA team.

• Owner
The crowd he saw in the stands was less impressive. Announced attendance was 10,823, lowering the Hornets' average to 14,803 for all of last season and 11 home dates this season combined.

If the average attendance for the two seasons falls below 14,735 before the end of January, the club may have the right to invoke an early exit clause that would allow it to leave the city after this season. If not, the current lease runs through 2014.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20101208_DET@NO

Yikes but take a look at their home games from now to the end of December.

Thunder

Kings

Jazz

Nets

Hawks

Lakers

Some good games that should draw attendance but the Hornets are only averaging roughly 14,230 fans per game (assuming I did my math right) against above .500 teams. The biggest game was against the Heat where 18,000 showed up. The Lakers is the final home game and may be the deciding factor.